Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greatest Player To Grace The Championship?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kit View Post

Was thinking that myself what a waste, he could have been a Superstar but for some reason seems to have self destructed. That season he was simply sublime and he, Clint and Shaun together in the same team, were the reason we got promoted, don't think I have ever witnessed such a talent for such a short period of time, a real pity.
    Needed a motivator like Neil to get the best out of him, who also knew he was a cut above the rest of the team. It's likely been that other managers he has played for just view him as another one of the lads in a squad filled with talented players.

Comment

Originally posted by OldR View Post

What were Stan Bowles stats in the second division?

What were Rodney Marsh's stats in 67/68?

How do the stats of Frank Worthington, Ray Wilkins, Trevor Brooking or even Stuart Pearson compare?

How would you compare the overall standard of the 2nd tier when Adel had his 'greatest ever' season to the standard when the above were playing?

You see, it's not fact that he was "better than anyone else in Championship football history", it's an opinion. Stats are a modern obsession and you won't find comparable stats with Rodney Marsh in 67/68, for example. Why? because it's impossible to view football in such a manner. They're a con which you should pay very little attention to.
      Taken from Wiki about our Rodney

The 1967–68 season saw a second successive promotion as QPR reached the First Division as runners-up in the Second Division, ahead of Blackpool on goal average. Marsh was again top-scorer with 14 goals despite missing the start of the season with a broken foot.[11] He signed a new four-year contract in the summer.[11]
      I have supported Rangers for 55 seasons, since March 1969.

Comment

paul gascoine and paul merson both have played in the championship.Merson has been outstanding twice leading teams to promotion Acel style

Comment

Originally posted by cross it Dave View Post

Taken from StanBowles.net

“Bowles played a pivotal role in helping Rangers secure promotion to the First Division, scoring 17 goals in 35 league appearances, in his debut season for the club in 1972-73. Rangers established themselves in the top flight over the course of the 1973-74 and 1974-75 seasons before mounting a challenge for the title in 1975-76.”

He made his debut on 16/9/72 against Brian Clough’s Forest, scoring a great goal, I am honoured to say I was in the Loft watching it.
          You old git!

We only have his goal records there - assets weren't considered important enough to monitor in a statistical system - and it doesn't show how difficult the division was by comparison with today; for example, 3 Division 2 sides made up the 4 semi-finalists of the 1974/75 League Cup and teams from the division reaching - and sometimes wining - the FA Cup final happened far more often.

Adel was a magical player to watch but he played in a completely different era from Bowles and in a team which had an unprecedented wage budget in our history and all that must be taken into account before people say, and accept, 'look at his stats, he's the greatest player EVER at this level'.

Comment

You old git!

We only have his goal records there - assets weren't considered important enough to monitor in a statistical system - and it doesn't show how difficult the division was by comparison with today; for example, 3 Division 2 sides made up the 4 semi-finalists of the 1974/75 League Cup and teams from the division reaching - and sometimes wining - the FA Cup final happened far more often.

Adel was a magical player to watch but he played in a completely different era from Bowles and in a team which had an unprecedented wage budget in our history and all that must be taken into account before people say, and accept, 'look at his stats, he's the greatest player EVER at this level'.
            Not so much of the old I was very young at the time
            I have supported Rangers for 55 seasons, since March 1969.

Comment

How do the stats of Frank Worthington, Ray Wilkins, Trevor Brooking or even Stuart Pearson compare?

How would you compare the overall standard of the 2nd tier when Adel had his 'greatest ever' season to the standard when the above were playing?

You see, it's not fact that he was "better than anyone else in Championship football history", it's an opinion. Stats are a modern obsession and you won't find comparable stats with Rodney Marsh in 67/68, for example. Why? because it's impossible to view football in such a manner. They're a con which you should pay very little attention to.
              You seem to be pidgeonholing my opinion into stats which is something I use in combination with what I see. I said numbers once, to ensure that there wasn't confusion. You look just at his goals and assists that season and it's still incredible. I don't know why you have to come across so aggressively, particularly towards the end.

As for the stats in general, I'll say to you what I've said to people on here for 6-7 years on this site. Seeing without the numbers is just as useless as numbers without seeing. You need both together to get the full picture and ignoring one or the other will cost you in terms of credibility.
              "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

You’re missing the point OldR.

Nasser was quite rightly pointing out that since this particular division has been known as the Championship, then Adel is probably the best player to have played in it. Not just his goals and assists, but his general levels of performance and entertainment value.

Someone else brought up the “second tier” players we’ve had, which is a different discussion altogether. None of the playes you mention ned played in the Championship.

Comment

Working...
                X