Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greatest Player To Grace The Championship?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

neves has been absolutely sensational this season, hes defo been wolves' best player thats for sure. picking out the championships greatest ever player is pretty hard as brilliant players don't stay in the championship long but adel is defo up there simply coz he dragged a largely average side to the title, neves or sessegnon aren't in adel's league in terms of what they've done for their clubs. take away both players from their clubs and you still have 2 teams more than capable of challenging for the title but take away adel from our season and you have a team that'd be challenging for the playoffs at best

Comment

Originally posted by 3London View Post
      Neves is not even the best player in the Championship this season let alone the best ever.

Ryan Sessegnon is by far the best player in the championship this year. and probably the best since Adel.
      Bang on. Sessegnon is a phenomenal player.

Comment

Adel was magic for that season.

But surely Kyle Walker has had the most prolific career at the highest level since.

Comment

When West Ham came down, they would have had some brilliant players down here. Defoe, Kanoute, Cole?

Comment

Maybe they are referring to Neves in terms of pedigree. Portuguese international, captained Porto, youngest ever captain in the champions league etc. Basically the bloke should never been playing in the championship. Also I think he's considered more of a defensive midfielder so his goal scoring stats are somewhat of a bonus. Wolves have kept 22 clean sheets (51% of games) this season which is impressive

Comment

i was thinking early and i reckon that kevin phillips is actually the best ever championship/first division player. he always scored bucket loads at this level well into his 30s

Comment

Kevin Nolan had a good season when Newcastle walked it...nowhere near as good to watch as Adel though.

Comment

Originally posted by cross it Dave View Post
                  Although it was called Division 2 in them days, Marsh and Bowles were better than Neves.
                  Don't forget Frank Worthington , Tony Curry , Dave Thomas , Lieghton James , Ricky Hill , and many more ,
                  Is the championship better than the old div 2 ? I don't think so just sounds better

Comment

Adel was responsible for 41 combined goals and assists.

Statistically can anyone have have done better than that? That’s a phenomenal return for one season.

Comment

My vote goes to Zesh Rehman.
                      Banning people is no longer my hobby,
                      but take a look at my photo blog:

http://kirillqpr.blogspot.com/

How and why did I start supporting QPR in Estonia:
                      http://www.wearetherangersboys.com/forum/blog.php?b=852

Comment

Originally posted by cross it Dave View Post
                        Although it was called Division 2 in them days, Marsh and Bowles were better than Neves.
                        Taarabt wouldn't even get in our greatest 2nd tier XI.

Comment

Originally posted by dogsrrs View Post

Don't forget Frank Worthington , Tony Curry , Dave Thomas , Lieghton James , Ricky Hill , and many more ,
                          Is the championship better than the old div 2 ? I don't think so just sounds better
                          Don't you know football began in 92/93!

All jokes aside though, as said above Taarabt wouldn't get in our best ever 2nd tier XI never mind a greatest of all time at that level.

Polls like this should be taken with the pinch of salt they deserve.

Comment

Originally posted by OldR View Post

Don't you know football began in 92/93!

All jokes aside though, as said above Taarabt wouldn't get in our best ever 2nd tier XI never mind a greatest of all time at that level.

Polls like this should be taken with the pinch of salt they deserve.
                            I may be relatively young in this debate... but it's not about him getting into our best ever XI's. it's about him for that one season being better than anyone else in Championship football history and tbh, given his numbers, his performances, his panache and the fact that he captained us that season... I don't get how you can disagree with that statement.
                            "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post

I may be relatively young in this debate... but it's not about him getting into our best ever XI's. it's about him for that one season being better than anyone else in Championship football history and tbh, given his numbers, his performances, his panache and the fact that he captained us that season... I don't get how you can disagree with that statement.
                              What were Stan Bowles stats in the second division?

What were Rodney Marsh's stats in 67/68?

How do the stats of Frank Worthington, Ray Wilkins, Trevor Brooking or even Stuart Pearson compare?

How would you compare the overall standard of the 2nd tier when Adel had his 'greatest ever' season to the standard when the above were playing?

You see, it's not fact that he was "better than anyone else in Championship football history", it's an opinion. Stats are a modern obsession and you won't find comparable stats with Rodney Marsh in 67/68, for example. Why? because it's impossible to view football in such a manner. They're a con which you should pay very little attention to.

Comment

Originally posted by 1973 ranger View Post
                                One of the most talented players we have had and certainly the biggest waste of a talent to go with it. Career over by the age of 23-24
                                Was thinking that myself what a waste, he could have been a Superstar but for some reason seems to have self destructed. That season he was simply sublime and he, Clint and Shaun together in the same team, were the reason we got promoted, don't think I have ever witnessed such a talent for such a short period of time, a real pity.

Comment

Working...
                                X