Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When did football become not about winning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When did football become not about winning?

Before anyone moans I’m talking about football in general and not specifically ollie or QPR

What’s depressing for me is that fans are now buying into this phenomenon when it comes to resting players, putting out weakened sides or experimenting mid season

Started with sides putting out second string in cup games but now it’s crept into league games. Arsenal with plenty of games left have given up on league in favour of UEFA Cup

If it continues fans are going to walk away on masse as surely we go to the game to see our teams win and not experiment or is that era gone and winning is no longer the be all and end all

Using us as an example it feels like we have been experimenting for two seasons for no real visible benefit.

I understand international sides experiment given lack of time they get together but should league sides be at it

If this is the future of football and teams are not going to put out their best side and instead try stuff should we be warned in advance or should we be reimbursed as we’re not actually watching a spectacle it’s just a pumped up exhibition match!!! Perhaps that is the future

What has killed football? The money, Sky or is it the fans

Couldn't agree more mate. Good post.

As for people turning away from football, I think it's already happening. But while the clubs get their cash and Sky get their zillions from the Far east for their PL coverage they couldn't give a monkeys for the local fan on the street and price them out accordingly. Tipping point will come when the fans abroad realize the thing that made English football entertaining, the fans in the stand are gone will they decide that they want to watch something else (German/Spanish football) and English football will finally go back to the common man.

Comment

I was talking to someone the other day about this. We were reminiscing about that 75/76 team where virtually 11 of about 13 played every match including cup games. There was no talk of resting players etc then.
      Also, why do we now have games on Saturday night ffs. It really is overkill now. Soon there will be no games in that top division at 3pm on a Saturday.

Comment

Good post.
        QPR
        Best team in the world
        Sort of

Comment

It's a good point and the championship is slowly going the way of PL which is a shame as it could be the most competitive and traditional leagues in Europe! Burton beating Derby 3-1, us getting 6 points against Wolves & Sheff Utd, Sunderland on the verge of league 1, Millwall's late charge into the playoffs...I'm sure there's plenty other examples of how unpredictable and entertaining the championship can be and that is based on teams being competitive.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe90 View Post
            It's a good point and the championship is slowly going the way of PL which is a shame as it could be the most competitive and traditional leagues in Europe! Burton beating Derby 3-1, us getting 6 points against Wolves & Sheff Utd, Sunderland on the verge of league 1, Millwall's late charge into the playoffs...I'm sure there's plenty other examples of how unpredictable and entertaining the championship can be and that is based on teams being competitive.
            I have heard of lot of people saying to me recently that they have started watching this league more nowadays for the reasons you have just given there.

Comment

Super post West
              I can remember players playing 2 two days in a row, and certainly twice in 3 days/ 4 days when i was a kid

Comment

Should always try to win every game. If the manager wants to experiment chuck him in a science lab!

Comment

Excellent post. Experiment in training/pre-season/friendlies, blood the odd player but respect the fans and the other teams in your league.

Comment

When did football become not about winning? When clubs started to not give a phuck about their fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Alanwycombe View Post
                      Excellent post. Experiment in training/pre-season/friendlies, blood the odd player but respect the fans and the other teams in your league.
                      Supporters,fans call them what you like have been treated like mugs
                      since the sky money came along and got bigger and larger and huge and
                      now gynormous.

Eventually if this trend continues i fear for the future of the game and the fans
                      and evrrything that goes with it.

Comment

Is it sometimes justified to rest with focus elsewhere. I would have to say yes. Absolutely no doubt.

Proof. Man United finished 6th last year but focused as (Arsenal have in your example) on winning UEFA got Champions League which means millions. Unlucky for them the manager didn’t use it as well as he should.

Many football fans often criticise teams for focusing on innocuous league positions rather than lifting trophy’s. Well to go back to your example that’s what Wenger is also doing. So critics for whatever you do then. Football fans do love to moan so that suits

Football at top level is dominated by elite athletes these days. If your pace, power, stamina is down a few percent it makes a huge difference. You only have to look at Ronaldo mid week, 33 and ripped. Have a look back at videos from 70’s and 80’s. It’s laughable the physical state some of those top level pros were in. Now with some natural genetic exceptions those geezers clearly didn’t understand nutrition and fitness in the same way. And with a much slower game, played on crappy pitches the need for resting wasn’t so great.

Nothing has killed football. Far from it.

Comment

So if we use us as example route why have our home and away crowds dived

Comment

I thought it was an impressive turn out on sat and I felt the ollie haters definitely seem to have come back, well most of them
                            I played sunday league football today.

Clearly I was the best player on the pitch.

I scored 5 and made 7 last ditch tackles.

We lost 5-0 but the rest of my team were sh it!

Comment

Originally posted by Route One View Post
                              Is it sometimes justified to rest with focus elsewhere. I would have to say yes. Absolutely no doubt.

Proof. Man United finished 6th last year but focused as (Arsenal have in your example) on winning UEFA got Champions League which means millions. Unlucky for them the manager didn’t use it as well as he should.

Many football fans often criticise teams for focusing on innocuous league positions rather than lifting trophy’s. Well to go back to your example that’s what Wenger is also doing. So critics for whatever you do then. Football fans do love to moan so that suits

Football at top level is dominated by elite athletes these days. If your pace, power, stamina is down a few percent it makes a huge difference. You only have to look at Ronaldo mid week, 33 and ripped. Have a look back at videos from 70’s and 80’s. It’s laughable the physical state some of those top level pros were in. Now with some natural genetic exceptions those geezers clearly didn’t understand nutrition and fitness in the same way. And with a much slower game, played on crappy pitches the need for resting wasn’t so great.

Nothing has killed football. Far from it.
                              Absolutely this.

To add further, those saying that experimenting is for the training ground, how can you see the quality on a competitive level without experimenting at a competitive level.

Football is about winning the title, getting promoted, not getting relegated at this level. Why? Because the Championship has no variation in prize money for position. Finishing anywhere between 7 and 24 doesn't matter, so once you know you can't finish anywhere but these positions, you may as well test things out competitively.

Individual matches stop being important and the whole season starts being more important, in fact, the whole season and the next season become more important than an individual match.

So for me, football is about winning, it's just about the bigger picture win instead of the win that doesn't accomplish anything.
                              "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Working...
                              X