No announcement yet.

Great performance ...... by Ollie!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Twice I’ve seen the two “fours” at home mentioned on this thread.

But not the “four” away.

Comment

Originally posted by brightonr View Post
      Twice I’ve seen the two “fours” at home mentioned on this thread.

But not the “four” away.
      SIR LESLIE FERDINAND!!

Comment

Originally posted by wortonranger View Post
        About time we had a “proper” Jock to cheer for after McMackie!
        Mackie has Scottish grandparents.......and a Scottish name. Good enough, ain't it? ha ha

Comment

Good result last night and nice to see some goals.

What Ollie needs to show Ollieskeptics is he can achieve consistency. For me if we can be reasonably consistent between now and the end of the season then we should likely keep him into next season and see how he does unless we get the chance to get someone good in the summer.

Hull was a debacle and playing Washington against Reading was daft. That aside looking much better of late.

What we have seen in the past is Ollie will have these little runs but then go and start trying to be clever and tinkering. We then end up with awful runs of results which he seems to struggle getting us out of. Add in our unforgivably bad away run of 11 months between wins and it is understandable some fans are nervous of Ollie as a manager. If he was new to management you would have more confidence in him learning from his mistakes. Unfortunately he has been making the same ones for years! With any luck though he may prove an old dog can learn some new tricks. Up to him to show us what he can do.

Do wish he would ditch that farking hat!

Comment

Originally posted by FurtiveFox View Post

What Ollie needs to show Ollieskeptics is he can achieve consistency. For me if we can be reasonably consistent between now and the end of the season then we should likely keep him into next season and see how he does unless we get the chance to get someone good in the summer.

Hull was a debacle and playing Washington against Reading was daft. That aside looking much better of late.

What we have seen in the past is Ollie will have these little runs but then go and start trying to be clever and tinkering. We then end up with awful runs of results which he seems to struggle getting us out of. Add in our unforgivably bad away run of 11 months between wins and it is understandable some fans are nervous of Ollie as a manager. If he was new to management you would have more confidence in him learning from his mistakes. Unfortunately he has been making the same ones for years! With any luck though he may prove an old dog can learn some new tricks. Up to him to show us what he can do.

Do wish he would ditch that farking hat!
            Made some right bad ones from the past, few promotions, the blokes a idiot lol
            http://soundcloud.com/pinkie2

Comment

Originally posted by Pinkie View Post
              Made some right bad ones from the past, few promotions, the blokes a idiot lol
              Living in the past Pinkie, had his fair number of relegations as well. Every manager has their sell by date otherwise you could argue we should get George Graham given what he has won in the past. Ollie done nothing in years hence being out of management for 18 months.

However if he can show a bit of consistency in remaining games then why not see if he can keep it up say first three months of next season?

Comment

Living in the past Pinkie, had his fair number of relegations as well. Every manager has their sell by date otherwise you could argue we should get George Graham given what he has won in the past. Ollie done nothing in years hence being out of management for 18 months.

However if he can show a bit of consistency in remaining games then why not see if he can keep it up say first three months of next season?
                Will you be banging the same drum when we do well? seems as you come out with the same stuff everytime whilst blue in the face?

Comment

The result was, as you say, good. A match between two teams who have had similar seasons and were next to each other in the table and we won 4-2. However, the result flattered us and if you cast your mind back over the evening and how many times you needed to applaud Smithies for an amazing save then you'll see that we possibly didn't deserve much out of the game and facing a side who could finish we'd have lost by a few too.

I'm neither pro or anti Holloway. I like his enthusiasm but could live without his occasional embarrassing 'zany' quotes. I like the way he can motivate a team and individual players but loathe his tactical naivety/stubbornness. However, that said, with just one more point we have ended up with more points than we did last season and that is progression. Also, apart from 1 or two exceptions, the performances since February have been encouraging and, in another one or 2 occasions, fantastic. The tide has seemingly turned if you consider we were looking like staying up simply because there were 3 teams a lot worse than us back in December/January.

So should he be given next year? Absolutely. Progress is progress and although playing nice, pretty football is desirable we are a business first and foremost and our divisional status, combined with progress, is more important. Also, if rumours are true, every player is up for sale should the right offers come in and we could end up with a squad containing a high number of inexperienced youngsters and players moving up a division or 2. If anyone can get such a mismatched cluster of players , thrown together, to gel and give us a chance of further progression, Holloway can.

Comment

Originally posted by OldR View Post
                    The result was, as you say, good. A match between two teams who have had similar seasons and were next to each other in the table and we won 4-2. However, the result flattered us and if you cast your mind back over the evening and how many times you needed to applaud Smithies for an amazing save then you'll see that we possibly didn't deserve much out of the game and facing a side who could finish we'd have lost by a few too.

I'm neither pro or anti Holloway. I like his enthusiasm but could live without his occasional embarrassing 'zany' quotes. I like the way he can motivate a team and individual players but loathe his tactical naivety/stubbornness. However, that said, with just one more point we have ended up with more points than we did last season and that is progression. Also, apart from 1 or two exceptions, the performances since February have been encouraging and, in another one or 2 occasions, fantastic. The tide has seemingly turned if you consider we were looking like staying up simply because there were 3 teams a lot worse than us back in December/January.

So should he be given next year? Absolutely. Progress is progress and although playing nice, pretty football is desirable we are a business first and foremost and our divisional status, combined with progress, is more important. Also, if rumours are true, every player is up for sale should the right offers come in and we could end up with a squad containing a high number of inexperienced youngsters and players moving up a division or 2. If anyone can get such a mismatched cluster of players , thrown together, to gel and give us a chance of further progression, Holloway can.
                    If he can keep it together for rest of season happy to see if he can keep it together next season.

However not sure I agree on progress. Last season was a right royal fark up on Ollie's side so personally do not view a few points more as real progress. What some recent games have shown is we have a fairly decent side which suggests a good manager at this level would have had us higher up the table. If Ollie can become that better manager we will all be happy.

Comment

Ollie done nothing in years hence being out of management for 18 months.
                      Not quite true.

He was still receiving a salary from Millwall as part of his dismissal which he would lose if he took another job outside of television punditry.

Yes his spells at Crystal Palace and Millwall made it unlikely that any 'big' clubs would take a punt on him, but he is still respected and plenty of League One and lower Championship sides would have given him the nod.

Comment

If he can keep it together for rest of season happy to see if he can keep it together next season.

However not sure I agree on progress. Last season was a right royal fark up on Ollie's side so personally do not view a few points more as real progress. What some recent games have shown is we have a fairly decent side which suggests a good manager at this level would have had us higher up the table. If Ollie can become that better manager we will all be happy.
                        Oh do us a favor furtive ffs, you dont agree on progress made lol, i give up reading anything else lol

Comment

The two 6 game losing streaks last season were concerning and displayed what is clear stubbornness on his behalf. They weren't exceptionally difficult run of games either. However, in my opinion I still think that there has been progression. We haven't had a similar losing streak this season (of course, 2 injury time goals against Brentford stopped this) but we haven't looked like going on a similar run since February.

Has the progress been slow? Absolutely. We were genuine relegation candidates but if you look at where we are now compared to how we were not only this time 18 months ago as we entered the first 6 game losing streak against Ipswich or the end of last season but also when we headed for the exits after the Leeds game this season, there has been progress.

Long may it continue!
                          Last edited by OldR; 11-04-2018, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Not quite true.

He was still receiving a salary from Millwall as part of his dismissal which he would lose if he took another job outside of television punditry.

Yes his spells at Crystal Palace and Millwall made it unlikely that any 'big' clubs would take a punt on him, but he is still respected and plenty of League One and lower Championship sides would have given him the nod.
                            All about opinions but really can't see any clubs at Championship level having taken a punt on him. If they had I have little doubt he would have taken the job regardless of position with Millwall. Very lucky boy getting a job at this level after 18 months out and some less than impressive recent seasons.

Comment

The two 6 game losing streaks last season were concerning and displayed what is clear stubbornness on his behalf. They weren't exceptionally difficult run of games either. However, in my opinion I still think that there has been progression. We haven't had a similar losing streak this season (of course, 2 injury time goals against Brentford stopped this) but we haven't looked like going on a similar run since February.

Has the progress been slow? Absolutely. We were genuine relegation candidates but if you look at where we are now compared to how we were not only this time 18 months ago as we entered the first 6 game losing streak against Ipswich or the end of last season but also when we headed for the exits after the Leeds game this season, there has been progress.

Long may it continue!
                              Think club have made huge strides which shows a lot of good things happening.

Have seen progress on the pitch generally of late but until then we have been poor when we shouldn't have been with team we have. However as you say long may current upturn continue!

Comment

All about opinions but really can't see any clubs at Championship level having taken a punt on him. If they had I have little doubt he would have taken the job regardless of position with Millwall. Very lucky boy getting a job at this level after 18 months out and some less than impressive recent seasons.
                                I can't see many taking a chance on him but, in my opinion, it is inconceivable that - if a managerial vacancy had arose at their clubs on the day we appointed him - Rotherham, Burton, Wigan and Ipswich Town wouldn't have got him down to a shortlist of applicants if he applied.

Comment

Working...
                                X