What future?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by maidstone_hoop View Post
    I personally think the club will take a balanced view. They will prob keep one of manning or Luongo and the same for Ned and Robinson.
    I would like to think they will offer Eze and Smyth new 3-4 year deals on decent money for their age and promise them that after another two years with us we would of enhanced their reputations and will sell to a prem team. However they should stay with us and get that match day experience for now.

If we could sell Luongo and get 7/8 mill which 4 or 5 goes on a decent striker I’d take that if we kept manning as well.
    good post and i agree. we won't have a mass exodus, players will leave in the summer thats for sure but only players that we can afford to lose (apart from mass who i think will be off, that will be a big loss to the team). its not all doom and gloom if we sell the likes of smithies, sylla, washington and freeman, we could easily get 15m combined for the 4 of them whilst also freeing up space for eze, smyth, chair and lumley to step into the team. luomgo will probably go for 8m in his own right.
    even 12m of that would go an incredibly long way to strenghthening the team, we could splash the cash on a cb (hopefully ned or robo stays) and a striker and still have changed.

we need to sell to buy quite frankly and tbh we have more to gain from doing that. we all know there are massive voids in our team that desperately need filling, i'd rather sell some of our current crop and bring in some new faces whilst also promoting more youth than sticking with what we have and signing nobody spectacular

Comment

Originally posted by QPRDave View Post
      FFP is as much financial doping as reckless spending....The game will die
      The game as we have known has died because FFP just won’t allow a smaller club like ours was to flourish like ours did under Jim Gregory. Leicester bucked the trend but to be fair they broke FFP rules too and got promoted, as did Bournemouth and Watford. Difference is they managed to stay up. We are heading towards a European League I fear it is what the big sides want. FA Cup has died, League Cup died and if FFP continues in its format then so will the lower leagues as we know them.

Comment

Originally posted by Kit View Post
        The game as we have known has died because FFP just won’t allow a smaller club like ours was to flourish like ours did under Jim Gregory. Leicester bucked the trend but to be fair they broke FFP rules too and got promoted, as did Bournemouth and Watford. Difference is they managed to stay up. We are heading towards a European League I fear it is what the big sides want. FA Cup has died, League Cup died and if FFP continues in its format then so will the lower leagues as we know them.
        Can't fault you here Kit

Comment

Originally posted by Martinmalta View Post
          With the season nearing an end and hopefully, the R's are still a Championship club, one wonders what future is there for us. All we talk about these days is the FFP and money. All R's fans around the world were happy seeing the likes of Furlong, Eze, Smyth and Manning make it to the first team. But then what? In the past it meant something. Take an instance from the seventies; we had Clement, Gillard and Francis coming through the ranks. Then we signed from lower divisions the likes of Thomas, Givens, Bowles and Parkes. Adding experience from the 'old first Division' in the likes of McClintock; Hollins and Webb and we had a team that so nearly won that league. Later we had the likes of Goddard, Allen, Stewart, Macdonald, Waddock, Dawes and many more coming through the ranks and we built a strong team that was destined to spend nearly 15 years in the Premier, (well, for the first four years of the Premier, the rest, in the old First Division).
          Now, we are trying to go back to those roots. However, can we emulate those days? No, we can't. As soon as a young prospect emerge, the big clubs come sniffing around waving their money! So, Eze is supposed to be watched by several Premier clubs; the same is said of Manning, and Smyth has already expressed his desire to play in the Premier. Then we had Freeman, Smithies, Luongo, Robinson and Ned all being mentioned as potential departures from the club. And then do what?We bring the mediocre so that no other clubs come sniffing around. Success for our likes has become hard to achieve. I am counting the days the season is over, however, I am more nervous the see the end of this Summer transfer window.
          Agree great post

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
            In an ideal world where there is loyalty etc yes but those days have long
            gone "we want it now"is the order of the day especially with amount of
            power players hold
            Saw an interview in the times (I think) a little while back given by Matt Le Tissier. He was asked why he stayed at Saints and didn't move to a bigger club. He said in his day differences in salaries wasn't big so when spurs came in for him what he was earning at Saints wasn't that different. He goes different now.
            I think the dollar always played a role but salaries and signing on fees now are like winning the lottery. Historically as a club we played our part in the salary circus as well as any other club.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
              In an ideal world where there is loyalty etc yes but those days have long
              gone "we want it now"is the order of the day especially with amount of
              power players hold
              This is true unfortunately and a sad indictment of where the game is now.
              Player loyalty is extremely rare now and refreshing when it is seen. The only recent example I can think of is Troy Deeney.

Comment

I can guarantee you now, any player sales this season will not be put back into the team. The majority of it will go to further balance the books on the ffp we are so close to falling foul of again. Don't get your hopes up on a big name striker coming in if we sell players for £10 mil. It will be more low cost buys and freebies. Still could do some good business like that as we've seen.

Comment

Originally posted by qprjeff1882 View Post
                  I can guarantee you now, any player sales this season will not be put back into the team. The majority of it will go to further balance the books on the ffp we are so close to falling foul of again. Don't get your hopes up on a big name striker coming in if we sell players for £10 mil. It will be more low cost buys and freebies. Still could do some good business like that as we've seen.
                  i fear u are right jeff , i still feel more excited about next season than i did this time last year .

Comment

What future?

Comment

Originally posted by acricketer View Post
                      What future?
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvMxqcgBhWQ
                      @gatorTFC

Comment

Only have to look at our youth teams and the sheer amount of young talent we've added to the club to see that the future is a lot brighter than people on here think.

Comment

With the changes made at youth level and with the scouting team in place, hopefully it's a case of a conveyor belt like future where one or two youngsters of quality make the step up every season.

Comment

Originally posted by Norths View Post
                            With the changes made at youth level and with the scouting team in place, hopefully it's a case of a conveyor belt like future where one or two youngsters of quality make the step up every season.
                            Exactly. Hopefully that is the case - bit like how Southampton have been able to lose players (up until now) each season.

Comment

Trouble is of all the younger players only Furlong has come through the Youth set up. Would we be better signing off casts and younger players from other clubs, like Eze ,Smythe, BOS and getting rid of the youth set up all together?

Comment

Originally posted by davieqpr View Post
                                Trouble is of all the younger players only Furlong has come through the Youth set up. Would we be better signing off casts and younger players from other clubs, like Eze ,Smythe, BOS and getting rid of the youth set up all together?
                                Youth setup (u23s) is where these younger players honed their craft with a pathway to 1st team action.

Comment

Working...
                                X