What future?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What future?

With the season nearing an end and hopefully, the R's are still a Championship club, one wonders what future is there for us. All we talk about these days is the FFP and money. All R's fans around the world were happy seeing the likes of Furlong, Eze, Smyth and Manning make it to the first team. But then what? In the past it meant something. Take an instance from the seventies; we had Clement, Gillard and Francis coming through the ranks. Then we signed from lower divisions the likes of Thomas, Givens, Bowles and Parkes. Adding experience from the 'old first Division' in the likes of McClintock; Hollins and Webb and we had a team that so nearly won that league. Later we had the likes of Goddard, Allen, Stewart, Macdonald, Waddock, Dawes and many more coming through the ranks and we built a strong team that was destined to spend nearly 15 years in the Premier, (well, for the first four years of the Premier, the rest, in the old First Division).
    Now, we are trying to go back to those roots. However, can we emulate those days? No, we can't. As soon as a young prospect emerge, the big clubs come sniffing around waving their money! So, Eze is supposed to be watched by several Premier clubs; the same is said of Manning, and Smyth has already expressed his desire to play in the Premier. Then we had Freeman, Smithies, Luongo, Robinson and Ned all being mentioned as potential departures from the club. And then do what?We bring the mediocre so that no other clubs come sniffing around. Success for our likes has become hard to achieve. I am counting the days the season is over, however, I am more nervous the see the end of this Summer transfer window.

I am as concerned as you are, it all comes down to money now doesn't it? The big bucks has changed football so much, things are so much different and I believe it all has to do with the money thrown around in the EPL, then they want to hit smaller clubs in lower divisions with FFP, it's a joke!
    @gatorTFC

Comment

Small clubs should start showing their anger about the situation. Football is not only about Utd, Liverpool, City and the rest. It's a syndrome all over Europe and only the big clubs are benefitting.

Comment

If we can keep the nucleus of this squad together for one or two years then we could have an outsiders chance of doing something special.

Even now I think if we had played with a back 4 all season as so many of us cried out for we would of been top 10. We need a few shrewd signings in the summer including a decent forward and if we can keep Luongo, Manning, Eze, Smyth and Robinson and potentially Ned we will have a good season.

It’s a must imo that we keep at least one of Ned or Robinson and we need to tie Smyth and Eze down to long term deals. I’m personally optimistic about next season right now.

Comment

I share your sentiments, however, I have my doubts if we can manage to keep all the players you mentioned. It depends on how the players see the situation. If they are offered more money, then off they go. These days, players talk about short careers and to make the most of it while they can! So, I very much doubt about our future.

Comment

It isn't a question of whether players want to stay or go it's more down to whether we want to sell them or not - contracts mean nothing. The club is unlikely to turn down good offers for the players the fans would like to keep.

Comment

Originally posted by Alanwycombe View Post
              It isn't a question of whether players want to stay or go it's more down to whether we want to sell them or not - contracts mean nothing. The club is unlikely to turn down good offers for the players the fans would like to keep.

Surely it is a combination of the two or sometimes one and sometimes the other.

Comment

My concern is that young promising players see QPR as a showcase for bigger things. Few of them have any affection for the club. Just a step for better things. It is good that the club makes the most of the situation. However, it is a sort of a lottery when tying players on long contracts. A few come good, others just enjoy the money and stand still. It will hurt seeing the likes of Luongo, Smyth or Eze leaving the club.

Comment

Originally posted by Martinmalta View Post
                  My concern is that young promising players see QPR as a showcase for bigger things. Few of them have any affection for the club. Just a step for better things. It is good that the club makes the most of the situation. However, it is a sort of a lottery when tying players on long contracts. A few come good, others just enjoy the money and stand still. It will hurt seeing the likes of Luongo, Smyth or Eze leaving the club.
                  We have no idea if that is the case do we?
                  Also why would it be any different from any other clubs? In fact given our record in the Community you could argue exactly the opposite to that statement.

Comment

Originally posted by CroydonCaptainJack View Post
                    Surely it is a combination of the two or sometimes one and sometimes the other.
                    Eze gets a 3 yr deal, Arsenal offer £5m, club says no because he has a contract? Sure, Eze could say no but if any club is prepared to sell you why would you want to stay?

Comment

Small clubs should start showing their anger about the situation. Football is not only about Utd, Liverpool, City and the rest. It's a syndrome all over Europe and only the big clubs are benefitting.
                      FFP is as much financial doping as reckless spending....The game will die

Comment

I personally think the club will take a balanced view. They will prob keep one of manning or Luongo and the same for Ned and Robinson.
                        I would like to think they will offer Eze and Smyth new 3-4 year deals on decent money for their age and promise them that after another two years with us we would of enhanced their reputations and will sell to a prem team. However they should stay with us and get that match day experience for now.

If we could sell Luongo and get 7/8 mill which 4 or 5 goes on a decent striker I’d take that if we kept manning as well.

Comment

Originally posted by QPRDave View Post
                          FFP is as much financial doping as reckless spending....The game will die
                          Agree Dave its already dying but no doubt some ######## will disagree

Comment

Originally posted by maidstone_hoop View Post
                            I personally think the club will take a balanced view. They will prob keep one of manning or Luongo and the same for Ned and Robinson.
                            I would like to think they will offer Eze and Smyth new 3-4 year deals on decent money for their age and promise them that after another two years with us we would of enhanced their reputations and will sell to a prem team. However they should stay with us and get that match day experience for now.

If we could sell Luongo and get 7/8 mill which 4 or 5 goes on a decent striker I’d take that if we kept manning as well.
                            In an ideal world where there is loyalty etc yes but those days have long
                            gone "we want it now"is the order of the day especially with amount of
                            power players hold

Comment

With the season nearing an end and hopefully, the R's are still a Championship club, one wonders what future is there for us. All we talk about these days is the FFP and money. All R's fans around the world were happy seeing the likes of Furlong, Eze, Smyth and Manning make it to the first team. But then what? In the past it meant something. Take an instance from the seventies; we had Clement, Gillard and Francis coming through the ranks. Then we signed from lower divisions the likes of Thomas, Givens, Bowles and Parkes. Adding experience from the 'old first Division' in the likes of McClintock; Hollins and Webb and we had a team that so nearly won that league. Later we had the likes of Goddard, Allen, Stewart, Macdonald, Waddock, Dawes and many more coming through the ranks and we built a strong team that was destined to spend nearly 15 years in the Premier, (well, for the first four years of the Premier, the rest, in the old First Division).
                              Now, we are trying to go back to those roots. However, can we emulate those days? No, we can't. As soon as a young prospect emerge, the big clubs come sniffing around waving their money! So, Eze is supposed to be watched by several Premier clubs; the same is said of Manning, and Smyth has already expressed his desire to play in the Premier. Then we had Freeman, Smithies, Luongo, Robinson and Ned all being mentioned as potential departures from the club. And then do what?We bring the mediocre so that no other clubs come sniffing around. Success for our likes has become hard to achieve. I am counting the days the season is over, however, I am more nervous the see the end of this Summer transfer window.
                              Great post

Comment

Working...
                              X