Sack, leave as is, or extend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sack, leave as is, or extend?

So given we are hopefully now safe and assuming we consolidate our existing position with the remaining few games what are peoples views on Holloway now?
    For me although he is limited tactically (or rather sometimes tries to be a bit cleverer tactically than he actually is) overall he has done a good job this season. We will probably need to do more of the same next season and I would leave him in place to do that without actually extending his contract.
    Sack at end of season
    54.00%
    Give him another season
    38.00%
    Give him another season & extend contract
    8.00%

If this season continues in the way the last month has, he deserves to stay. he is not perfect and still not in my opinion the future, but given our constraints he is a good fit, as long as this current formation and playing style continues. Not so much about results as it is about the manner in which we are presenting ourselves.

Still needs to work on some of the outbursts and still needs to make sure he is playing players to their strengths.

The thread was done to death but the Goss situation still bothers me a bit. Not that he is all that, time will tell on that one, but the way that whole thing has been handled is rubbish.

So, keep till the end of course. If he starts being silly,minds will change again sharpish.

Comment

I see this season as an opportunity lost, not a job well done. Imagine where we might have got to with the right formation and best starting 11 selected from week 1? I'll give Ollie praise for the conditioning of the players and holding morale together, when at times it looked like we were in trouble. But it doesn't make up for the tactical buffoonery as far as I'm concerned.

All academic though as Tony loves him, and he's cheap as chips. This little run of form we're on will cement Ollie's place as manager for another season I'm sure!
      Last edited by Tarbie; 26-03-2018, 08:42 AM.

Comment

If season finishes as last few games have gone I would be inclined to retain but he needs a strong finish.

Next few games look like we can build on recent good form so how we come out of that will be telling and probably determine what should happen don’t mean it will

Comment

I think he will be retained and he will get another full season.

Although I'm not a big fan of IH I do appreciate he's done an ok job under restraints and testing times but I cannot forgive his stubbornness, short sightedness and at times idiotic team selections and formations.

Saying that, I am happy with his recent turnaround of the side and him finally ditching his god awful 3-5-2 system and it's paid off.

I don't think we will be much better off next season without a seasoned, regular goal scorer but won't be completely dissatisfied with keeping IH if he keeps his head right and mouth shut. Don't want to hear fans dug out or young players slated for his failings.

Comment

I don't remember a season where we have brought so many young players through at once, and to do this and stay in the Championship deserves praise.

However, The 1st Team management need the right mix of people and I do not believe Birch and Holloway alone is strong enough. Personally a very strong tactical coach along side Holloway could see a great partnership which could be touching the play offs next year.

The challenge is how many players Holloway will keep !!! I worry next season is another rebuilding job which if we do not get off to a flying start will see Holloway blamed by the fans.

Comment

With a flea in his ear
              I must away now, I can no longer tarry
              This morning's tempest I have to cross
              I must be guided without a stumble
              Into the arms I love the most

Comment

Originally posted by Fozzieboy View Post
                I don't remember a season where we have brought so many young players through at once, and to do this and stay in the Championship deserves praise.

However, The 1st Team management need the right mix of people and I do not believe Birch and Holloway alone is strong enough. Personally a very strong tactical coach along side Holloway could see a great partnership which could be touching the play offs next year.

The challenge is how many players Holloway will keep !!! I worry next season is another rebuilding job which if we do not get off to a flying start will see Holloway blamed by the fans.
                This is my fear too.

I'm amazed Smithies is still here. Luongo is bound to have a few bigger sides sniffing around him. Ned, Perch & Robinson will all go as their contracts are up. To be honest, I'm not hugely fussed on Ned or Perch. Perch is injury-prone and inconsistent. And whilst we look a better side with Ned in the team, he's replaceable especially for what he's costing us (around 1.5m a season?).

Then we have Eze and Smyth, how does a club like ours hang onto players like this in the current climate? Look at Josh Bowler last season. Played 20 mins first team football and went to Everton for 3m quid. Hasn't kicked a ball in anger since. If a club like Everton can speculate 3m quid on a player like Bowler without too many worries, what's stopping another Premier League club coming in with a bid of or 8 or 10m quid for Smyth or Eze?

Comment

I don't see this as a bad season, despite the often shambolic performances, for the simple reason that it has cemented our position as a low-spending, low-wage club. This fact should keep the #### takers away, and it has allowed us to take stock, find a level and rebuild. Plus we have some fantastic young players coming through.

Having said that, I want to get rid of Holloway. He takes credit for most of the above only by default. It took a deserved spanking v Forest before he finally made the changes that every fan and his dog knew was necessary. He strikes me as too stubborn to listen to sense until it's forced upon him, unnecessarily arrogant and confrontational and a poor tactician. For these reasons, I don't think he's the man to take us forward. I would like to see an intelligent and inspired manager in place who can work with our talented youth to forge a team that can challenge for promotion in a year or two's time.

And the end of the season is the time to install a new manager. However, finding the right kind of manager is a whole other issue. Given the financial limitations, we can only attract managers who are still keen to forge a reputation, as opposed to those who already have one. So it would depend on the board being able to pick someone like David Wagner or Sean Dyche, and the chances of them doing this are probably slim.

So that means we're probably stuck with Holloway.

Comment

I'd keep Holloway until a manager becomes available that will take us forward. Until then, Holloway is not a bad bet to keep us stable in the division as long as he doesn't revert to that poxy 3-5-whatever formation.

Comment

I'd want him to stay and he will until end of next season.

To get rid of him will cost money and to me with all his faults he as improved us this season in where we will finish from last season.

The board should start looking for a long term manager around middle of next season unless IH is making a major mess up which he is capable of.

To me IH is a stop gap manager and has done what was needed, but I think the club is showing that they are doing something about the FFP thing to lessen the fine.

The board should sign Robbo and the others with end of contract should be let go except Ned if he takes a pay cut.

Do not let IH buy any big players and save the money for the new manager unless they can find a decent striker.

Comment

My problem with keeping IH is how players like i.e. Smithies, Robinson, Luongo and Freeman will react. Will they want to leave?
                        QPR
                        Best team in the world
                        Sort of

Comment

Originally posted by West Acton View Post
                          If season finishes as last few games have gone I would be inclined to retain but he needs a strong finish.

Next few games look like we can build on recent good form so how we come out of that will be telling and probably determine what should happen don’t mean it will
                          Ditto.

IF we can kick on and maintain the recent levels, more than happy to change my mind & say give him another year.
                          You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Comment

Originally posted by Hubble View Post
                            I don't see this as a bad season, despite the often shambolic performances, for the simple reason that it has cemented our position as a low-spending, low-wage club. This fact should keep the #### takers away, and it has allowed us to take stock, find a level and rebuild. Plus we have some fantastic young players coming through.

Having said that, I want to get rid of Holloway. He takes credit for most of the above only by default. It took a deserved spanking v Forest before he finally made the changes that every fan and his dog knew was necessary. He strikes me as too stubborn to listen to sense until it's forced upon him, unnecessarily arrogant and confrontational and a poor tactician. For these reasons, I don't think he's the man to take us forward. I would like to see an intelligent and inspired manager in place who can work with our talented youth to forge a team that can challenge for promotion in a year or two's time.

And the end of the season is the time to install a new manager. However, finding the right kind of manager is a whole other issue. Given the financial limitations, we can only attract managers who are still keen to forge a reputation, as opposed to those who already have one. So it would depend on the board being able to pick someone like David Wagner or Sean Dyche, and the chances of them doing this are probably slim.

So that means we're probably stuck with Holloway.
                            Hubbs no offence but how can it be by default when in january time he had quoted that he was going to build his squad around eze & the young exciting young players coming through?! he had it planned how we are playing now & was all about timing etc
                            http://soundcloud.com/pinkie2

Comment

Everyone knows my opinion on this and wanting him to stay, personally think people are mad to even think of wanting to get rid even if we`re doing well, would be madness that and we could lose whats building up.
                              http://soundcloud.com/pinkie2

Comment

Working...
                              X