Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big lump

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by West Acton View Post
    I’m fed up hearing we’re playing good football, we’re not we’re a long ball team plain and simple, very little point having Smith in team if we’re not going long. Ned, Robinson, Bidwell, Scowen, Smithies all launch the ball to Smith who is actually, for his size, not very good at holding it up or flicking it on.

    Do we play the odd bit of smart football, yes here and there but not enough to detract from fact the primary tactic is to go long. Take Smith off put Lynch on, again your not doing that to play nice triangles the sole intention is to retain a big man so can keep playing long ball tactic

    I’m not complaining as regardless yesterday we played well that way and deserved more then what we got but I don’t get why some fans are unable to just hold hands up and say we play direct football. It’s the style of the manager, he played for Wimbledon in their prime when they were successful launching the ball so to some extent I get why he favours it he’s seen it work
    I dunno about that. big lad is always going to be a target man. He could be better at big man things as you point out, but the disruption a big fella causes from set pieces is enough to give the Smyths etc the space they need to do their thing, add to that win headers and poach. Crouch, perfect example.

    The midfield rest of the team just need to understand it should be part of a team plan, not the only plan. Wingers would help as the threat from constant crosses is enough to attract attention to the big fella. But as we don't play with wingers, the option they choose too often is direct, very easy to defend against.

    So Smith is big part player i think, but the rest of the team and manager have to follow suit.

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by topperharley View Post
      I dunno about that. big lad is always going to be a target man. He could be better at big man things as you point out, but the disruption a big fella causes from set pieces is enough to give the Smyths etc the space they need to do their thing, add to that win headers and poach. Crouch, perfect example.

      The midfield rest of the team just need to understand it should be part of a team plan, not the only plan. Wingers would help as the threat from constant crosses is enough to attract attention to the big fella. But as we don't play with wingers, the option they choose too often is direct, very easy to defend against.

      So Smith is big part player i think, but the rest of the team and manager have to follow suit.
      Make you right Topper big big man is a useful part of any tool kit and not a bad way to play football , the bad thing is when a team resort to the long ball being game plan and not part of the play , the fault of long ball game lies with the coaches and inferior players whereas we have have enough players of decent ability on the ball not to have to over use the system , but can see where we fell into over use due to the lack of decent forwards 1st half of the season , with the introduction of the young players I'm looking forward better play next season well hoping for it
      Last edited by dogsrrs; 08-03-2018, 07:46 AM.

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by Stanley View Post
        Yes, the main improvement from last night was having a flat back four. Defence looked a lot more assured as a result (confirmed too by Robbo's quotes). That assurance from the back did spread though the team though, as we looked more confident and kept possession better. Now if only he could add some wingers to the equation we'd be in business. Just goes to show the importance of team shape and players feeling comfortable in their roles. #RoundPegsRoundHoles
        I agree 100% with this mate.

        4 at the back just looked so much more solid. 3 up top I didn't think worked as well. I see what Ollie was trying to do, get it on Smith's head and let the other 2 feed off of knock downs etc. And it worked to an extent. Would have worked better if we'd swapped Conor out for Pawel though. There was acres of space out wide at times just crying out for a proper winger to exploit.

        Is it too much to hope that Tuesday nights system may evolve into a 4-4-2 or a 4-5-1 with wingers?
        Co-Founder of the Dubai R's
        Follow me on Twitter @Tarbie82

        Comment


        • #49
          I’m not against big man for clarity, just making point we play direct Football, obviously in my opinion, as read other views regularly that the football is pretty good when it’s not

          Comment


          • #50
            The football as a whole has been average until young Smyth was drafted in. We are better with him in the side due to the fact he has movement and pace something we lack when he has not played.

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
              for a big guy, Smith has had a really hard time aiming his headers recently which is a shame. The number of headers he's had where it should have been at least on target is mind boggling.
              In Smith's defence......he is usually up against 2 6ft+ defenders most of the time having his shirt pulled.

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by West Acton View Post
                I’m not against big man for clarity, just making point we play direct Football, obviously in my opinion, as read other views regularly that the football is pretty good when it’s not
                The football was good in quite a few parts the other night westy, same as against wolves, i think dogs has come out with a perfect explanation about the long bal and overuse of it, out of the desperation no other forwards were scoring! im from a era where a perfect team balance wise has everything, players who are technically great and can keep hold of the ball, also pace when needed, also wingers & a strike partnership, & always one thats more the header asin cyrille regis bob latchford mould, you need all that.

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by Tarbie View Post
                  Thank you mate. If you listen to Pinkie, he'd have you believe it was like watching Man City last night. Dunno why we can't call it what it was. Decent, hard working performance, but without a doubt, direct and predominantly long ball football.
                  Lol who said we was playing like man city, i said we played some nice stuff and from the back instead of booting it up all the time, ofcourse it was hard working as youre not going to get anywhere without hard work! you heard artfuls opinion along with his other season ticket mates who were there, like ive said youre ollie views getting in the way tarbs, that was a very good performance, call it what it was, same as the last match where everything wasnt happening & all the players were terrible.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by Pinkie View Post
                    Lol who said we was playing like man city, i said we played some nice stuff and from the back instead of booting it up all the time, ofcourse it was hard working as youre not going to get anywhere without hard work! you heard artfuls opinion along with his other season ticket mates who were there, like ive said youre ollie views getting in the way tarbs, that was a very good performance, call it what it was, same as the last match where everything wasnt happening & all the players were terrible.
                    Cos you never let your personal feelings towards Ollie ever cloud your judgement mate?!!

                    Me and you are just at different ends of the spectrum. You think he's Jesus Christ's more handsome and talented big brother, I think he's an utter sh*tter! Ha ha
                    Co-Founder of the Dubai R's
                    Follow me on Twitter @Tarbie82

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by Shepherds Mush View Post
                      In Smith's defence......he is usually up against 2 6ft+ defenders most of the time having his shirt pulled.
                      Exactly. Not to mention their arms all over him like a rash. Different rules seem to apply for refs when it's in the box and you happen to be 6'6"
                      IMO
                      YMMV
                      LOL

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by Tarbie View Post
                        Cos you never let your personal feelings towards Ollie ever cloud your judgement mate?!!

                        Me and you are just at different ends of the spectrum. You think he's Jesus Christ's more handsome and talented big brother, I think he's an utter sh*tter! Ha ha
                        You see thats what i mean you just cannot accept ollies had them playing some good stuff the other night & the youngsters aswell lol, but juggernaut ollie thoughts are in yer vision tarbs you old tart

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by Stanley View Post
                          Exactly. Not to mention their arms all over him like a rash. Different rules seem to apply for refs when it's in the box and you happen to be 6'6"
                          It's totally true mate. The guy gets manhandled and fouled all over the place. Ref's at this level seem to have this attitude that if you're 6ft6 you should be able to handle yourself and they don't give him anything. It's bizarre!
                          Co-Founder of the Dubai R's
                          Follow me on Twitter @Tarbie82

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X