Smyth and Eze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stanley View Post
    With wingers too, or is that too much to ask for?
    LOL. It shouldn't be, but it unbelievably is...... Smyth, pulling wide, will have to supply Smith with crosses.... And someone will eventually have to train Luongo to play it wide.

Comment

Originally posted by Rangers77 View Post
      LOL. It shouldn't be, but it unbelievably is...... Smyth, pulling wide, will have to supply Smith with crosses.... And someone will eventually have to train Luongo to play it wide.
      Or just play Freeman there.

Comment

Just read someone post in his opinion Freeman is the outlet for the midfield I agree with so imo why shift him

Comment

Originally posted by davieqpr View Post
          Because Holloway always knows best.
          You're correct. Don't start a player coming back from injury, good bit of coaching that
          Minds Are Like Parachutes.
          Work Best When Open...
          @Nowt2SeeHere

Comment

Originally posted by dogsrrs View Post
            Just read someone post in his opinion Freeman is the outlet for the midfield I agree with so imo why shift him
            Thank you, that was me :-) And I agree with you. We have enough wingers already.

Comment

Originally posted by Awin View Post
              Or just play Freeman there.
              Yep

Wszolek Luongo Scowen Freeman

That four across the middle would do. Furlong and Bidwell full backs. If things get tough put Smyth left, pull Freeman inside drop Scowen back, playing Smith up by himself. If a dope like me can see that, why can't Ollie?

Comment

Originally posted by 1973 ranger View Post
                Smyth has great off the ball movement which is something we lack as a team. Felt for Washington today as we create #### all from open play that you could call service. Give him a few off the bench games and hope it works better for him.
                Maybe it's more that his movement isn't good enough to get the right sort of balls because as soon as Smyth came on, he got a lot more service.
                "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Our off the ball work has been awful for a very long time, which is a bit of a shame because no one can remember a period in the game when it has been more significant than it is now. Whatever else CW does or does not do, he simply lacks the class and composure to be worth a light at this level.

Ollie is still not starting with a set up that plays to our strengths, and until he has an alternative to his obsession with WBs, we wont progress. Its fine having them as a plan B, but it's his default position and it has cost us.

Comment

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
                    Maybe it's more that his movement isn't good enough to get the right sort of balls because as soon as Smyth came on, he got a lot more service.

Watched him closely first half yesterday. Always behind in terms of his anticipation. And plays too flat. Never looks to break. But, in fairness, we don't play early through balls, do we? Goal he got at Burton was from a rare pass of that this. The hard running he does in largely when they have possession, not when we do. Real shame. Seems like a nice fella. And the type you'd like to see do well. Lower leagues he'd make a living and score goals. That'd be more fun for him.

Comment

But, in fairness, we don't play early through balls, do we?
                      Good point. What pundits call our 'transistion phase' ie the break out from defence to attack is slow slow slow. Two reasons: the off the ball movement up top aint good enough, and we don't have an Adel to spot the space and turn their defenders.

Who is our most classy ie gifted player? Do we still do those?

Comment

This is a no-brainer. Start Smith and Smyth; use Eze and Oteh off the bench. Conor just doesn't have it, either as a starter or a sub (name one time he came off the bench and sparked something?). Conor has no anticipation and no finish; and the combo with Matt Smith, after so many starts, just doesn't work. Now let's see what Ollie does. His habit is to play his favorites (i.e., Conor) even when the rest off the world sees through it.

Comment

Originally posted by hal9thou View Post
                          Good point. What pundits call our 'transistion phase' ie the break out from defence to attack is slow slow slow. Two reasons: the off the ball movement up top aint good enough, and we don't have an Adel to spot the space and turn their defenders.

Who is our most classy ie gifted player? Do we still do those?
                          Our midfielders take too many touches. Yesterday, when attacking second half, lots of times Scowen would play it to Luongo who would collect it, move it, pass it back to Ned, who'd pass it out to Wszolek. No need to use Ned...

Then, having received when the opposition had moved over in front of him, Wzsolek, having no full back behind him, was usually too scared to take the opponent on in case he lost it. He knows if he lost it, Ned could come across, but then he'd leave a hole into which the opponent could play. So Wszolek, fearful, would invariable check and pass it back to Ned or Luongo. So, so slow.

Comment

Our midfielders take too many touches. Yesterday, when attacking second half, lots of times Scowen would play it to Luongo who would collect it, move it, pass it back to Ned, who'd pass it out to Wszolek. No need to use Ned...

Then, having received when the opposition had moved over in front of him, Wzsolek, having no full back behind him, was usually too scared to take the opponent on in case he lost it. He knows if he lost it, Ned could come across, but then he'd leave a hole into which the opponent could play. So Wszolek, fearful, would invariable check and pass it back to Ned or Luongo. So, so slow.
                            Perfect summary of the problem, and so obvious to anyone with half a brain as well. I can’t remember a more frustrating season for this reason, in the knowledge that it could be so much more effective with a few simple tweaks in formation. And for the same reason I can’t remember a more dopey and obstinate manager for failing to address the blindingly obvious. HollowHead really is the most accurate name for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley View Post
                              Perfect summary of the problem
                              the worst part of it is that this is not like a new issue. I remember discussing the transition problem with Naz under JFH. It was poor then too, and hasn't improved. Neither has the off the ball movement.

You do have to say though that we don't have a gamechanger in midpark. Probably the least creative Rs side in my time, or close enough.

Comment

Originally posted by hal9thou View Post
                                the worst part of it is that this is not like a new issue. I remember discussing the transition problem with Naz under JFH. It was poor then too, and hasn't improved. Neither has the off the ball movement.

You do have to say though that we don't have a gamechanger in midpark. Probably the least creative Rs side in my time, or close enough.
                                Need to pass quicker,move the ball quicker with purpose,move
                                quicker with purpose and into space and think quicker.

In short everything quicker

Comment

Working...
                                X