The Trio...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Trio...

On the one hand would like to see Freeman, Luongo and Scowen start every game. They are scrappers with hustle, drive and the ability to kick start offensive thrusts. Yet none of the three seems to be a goal scorer, or even much of a threat to be one. Given we have no offensive punch from our strikers, can we afford to continue playing all three simultaneously, or should we look for a third midfielder who poses more of a scoring threat? This may be as important in the January transfer window as the much-sought-after striker.

Originally posted by Qprtanpa1 View Post
    On the one hand would like to see Freeman, Luongo and Scowen start every game. They are scrappers with hustle, drive and the ability to kick start offensive thrusts. Yet none of the three seems to be a goal scorer, or even much of a threat to be one. Given we have no offensive punch from our strikers, can we afford to continue playing all three simultaneously, or should we look for a third midfielder who poses more of a scoring threat? This may be as important in the January transfer window as the much-sought-after striker.
    There should be no need for a scoring threat from midfield if our strikers were able to do it. This argument has been made for years and it's always when we don't have a goalscorer up front or out wide. Instead of looking for a midfielder with a secondary job to score, lets get a striker with a primary job to do so.
    "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Don’t disagree. Just trying to think of everything beyond the obvious goal-starved strikers on the Club.

Comment

Who needs a goal scoring midfield player when you have a goal scoring Centre Back?
        @gatorTFC

Comment

Nasser I have to disagree. Every decent side has goals from all over the team. You can’t just say no need if strikers perform that’s pretty short sighted mindset

Yes we want strikers to take the bulk of burden but I would also want 15 goals a season chipped in from midfielders combined

Not after a row just my opinion

Comment

Freeman chips in with a few to be fair, should have 7/8 by the end of the season which ain't bad.
            mass will get 1 or 2 a season, scowen same.
            if we had wingers that scored it would be no issue, but because we don't play with wingers it stops us scoring as many as we should, as they aren't there to provide assists/goals.

Comment

The Holy Trinity.

Scowen - Father
              Luongo - Son
              Freeman - Holy Spirit

Comment

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
                There should be no need for a scoring threat from midfield if our strikers were able to do it. This argument has been made for years and it's always when we don't have a goalscorer up front or out wide. Instead of looking for a midfielder with a secondary job to score, lets get a striker with a primary job to do so.
                What absolute bol locks. Frank Lampard springs to mind.

Comment

One or two midfielders in a team have got to the have the ability to score. What if the strikers goes on a patch witout scoring. All strikers do, mind you.
                  Last edited by Shania; 19-12-2017, 10:09 AM.
                  QPR
                  Best team in the world
                  Sort of

Comment

Originally posted by West Acton View Post
                    Nasser I have to disagree. Every decent side has goals from all over the team. You can’t just say no need if strikers perform that’s pretty short sighted mindset

Yes we want strikers to take the bulk of burden but I would also want 15 goals a season chipped in from midfielders combined

Not after a row just my opinion
                    Agree. Remember Buzz chipping in with 10 goals from midfield under Gigi.

Comment

Thats goto be the daftest thing ive heard, every team needs midfielders to score and chip in aswell as most of the team at some point! and always been the case, you dont just rely on the strikers at all.
                      http://soundcloud.com/pinkie2

Comment

There should be no need for a scoring threat from midfield if our strikers were able to do it.
                        Absolute nonsense.

A good team should have players scoring from all areas.

Comment

Your first sentence in this post is absolute tosh. A good side has players scoring goals all over the pitch, not just the strikers.
                          Top Scorers 2018/2019

Nakhi Wells - 8
                          Pawel Wszolek - 6
                          Luke Freeman - 6
                          Matt Smith - 6
                          Ebere Eze - 4
                          Joel Lynch - 3
                          Tomer Hemed - 3
                          Toni Leistner - 2
                          Massimo Luongo- 2
                          Angel Rangel - 2
                          Bright Osayi-Samuel - 2
                          Geoff Cameron - 1
                          Aramide Oteh - 1
                          Jake Bidwell - 1
                          Jordan Cousins - 1

Summer Transfers 2019

IN

OUT

Comment

Of course the midfield needs to score.

I think we'd see them score more with a better striker up top, and some form of width.

Smith is pretty good at drawing defences attention, opening up space for the midfield to potentially score, but when he comes on it becomes almost the crouch effect and our tactics don't adjust for the odd surprise midfield burst. Again on the Charlie front, a player in his mould, all round, strong, good work rate, plays for the team and also scores for fun, would give the midfield confidence and thinkwe'd see more success. Particularly from Freeman. Even a Bobby would work.

But, FFS, we can't go buying more midfielders with the glaring short comings we have either side of them, in front and behind them.

Comment

This is why I think they Ollie and co should be looking to see if Washington could do a job there he's a decent enough footballer but just not a striker given a deeper role he would have that extra second or two instead of snatching at chances like heroes or over playing the the ball

Comment

Working...
                              X