2018/19 Playing Squad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shepherds Mush View Post
    Dont get me wrong as I know Luongo is a very good player at this level - I just think a lot of people underestimate Freeman and what he does for the side.

Personally think it is simply easier to replace a CM than a playmaker / decent set-piece taker for the levels we are trading at.
    But look at the good young players we have coming through who can play number 10 or attacking midfield like Freeman.

And then the flip side is where would we start in finding another Luongo on our current budget? We definitely don't have any kids coming through who can do what he does.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarbie View Post
      But look at the good young players we have coming through who can play number 10 or attacking midfield like Freeman.

And then the flip side is where would we start in finding another Luongo on our current budget? We definitely don't have any kids coming through who can do what he does.
      If you can have Eze / Smyth replacing Freeman then you can certainly have Manning, Goss, Cousins, Chair replacing Luongo.

Comment

If you can have Eze / Smyth replacing Freeman then you can certainly have Manning, Goss, Cousins, Chair replacing Luongo.
        thing is though is the latter 4 you mentioned can't do half of what luongo does, he tackles, he covers ground, he intercepts, creates and scores. he can easily fill any role in midfield as required whether that be defence or attack. freeman defends as well don't get me wrong but not to the standard of what mass brings to the side, he more so harries players and annoys them. theres lots of creative sparks that we could bring in as replacements for freeman who could step up.
        lets just say for arguments sake we sold freeman for 6m, we could get oztumer from wallsall on a free (11 this season for a struggling side) or dack/maddison from blackburn and peterbrough respectively for between 3-4m each and still have money left over.
        freemans role is easier to fill than luongo's imo, i don't really know who we could bring in on the cheap to do luongo's job

Comment

Goss ain't the same sort of player as Mas by any stretch, cultured but will never cover as much ground as Mas. Chair is far more offensive, more of a number 10. Cousins, well the jury is still out, but I suspect he is only just about up to Championship level, and certainly not a patch on Mas. Manning, we'll have to see. Young lad still, but has been very hit and miss for us.

I dont see any of those 4 going on to be top flight players. Eze, Smith and Luongo I think absolutely will.

Comment

Originally posted by corbray View Post
            freeman defends as well don't get me wrong but not to the standard of what mass brings to the side, he more so harries players and annoys them. theres lots of creative sparks that we could bring in as replacements for freeman who could step up.
            lets just say for arguments sake we sold freeman for 6m, we could get oztumer from wallsall on a free (11 this season for a struggling side) or dack/maddison from blackburn and peterbrough respectively for between 3-4m each and still have money left over.
            freemans role is easier to fill than luongo's imo, i don't really know who we could bring in on the cheap to do luongo's job
            Will have to agree to disagree on this one because we haven't had a decent set piece taker (assists and stats back this up) let alone playmaker since probably Adel and that shows how hard it is to replace than a CM.

Comment

Will have to agree to disagree on this one because we haven't had a decent set piece taker (assists and stats back this up) let alone playmaker since probably Adel and that shows how hard it is to replace than a CM.
              Freeman isn't that though, is he? His set pieces are dire. If he plays tonight, count how many of his corners don't beat the first man. It's embarrassing most games.

Personally, if good money came in for Freeman, I'd take that money and run. I'd sooner we invested time in Smyth and Eze who are only gonna get better, and cash in on Freeman, who I think is nothing more than a decent Championship level player.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarbie View Post
                Freeman isn't that though, is he? His set pieces are dire. If he plays tonight, count how many of his corners don't beat the first man. It's embarrassing most games.

Personally, if good money came in for Freeman, I'd take that money and run. I'd sooner we invested time in Smyth and Eze who are only gonna get better, and cash in on Freeman, who I think is nothing more than a decent Championship level player.
                I will and I would bet more beat the first man than those of Joey Barton and all the other midfield marvels we've had take set pieces over the years.

Comment

Freeman is not a “playmaker”.

He does not pass the ball quick enough, regularly create sharp, incisive passes, or control the ebb and flow of a game to be considered one.

He is neither a deep lying playmaker (Wilshere, Shelvey) or an advanced playmaker (Özil, David Silva).

The vast majority of his assists come from corners or crosses. It also begs the question what kind of player he actually is. Which I am still unsure about. He needs to learn to pass the ball more quickly, because he certainly has the ability.

In football, a playmaker is a player who controls the flow of the team's offensive play, and is often involved in passing moves which lead to goals, through their vision, technique, ball control, creativity, and passing ability (Wikipedia)

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny View Post
                    In football, a playmaker is a player who controls the flow of the team's offensive play, and is often involved in passing moves which lead to goals, through their vision, technique, ball control, creativity, and passing ability (Wikipedia)

12 assists, 1 from a corner with the other 11 coming from the technique, vision and ability to pass the ball to a team mate to create a scoring opportunity.

If not a playmaker he is still a fcking useful midfielder.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shepherds Mush View Post
                      I will and I would bet more beat the first man than those of Joey Barton and all the other midfield marvels we've had take set pieces over the years.
                      Barton's set pieces were horrific too. You won't find any arguments from me on that subject!

Comment

• Originally posted by Shepherds Mush View Post
                        12 assists, 1 from a corner with the other 11 coming from the technique, vision and ability to pass the ball to a team mate to create a scoring opportunity.

If not a playmaker he is still a fcking useful midfielder.
                        If he wants my has one assist from set pieces that kind of ruins argument he’s worth being in side for that purpose. I got be honest and say I thought his stats for assist from dead balls was better then that

Agree with Tarbs his corners are hit and miss. Likes hitting first man but often they go straight out too

Comment

• Originally posted by West Acton View Post
                          If he wants my has one assist from set pieces that kind of ruins argument he’s worth being in side for that purpose. I got be honest and say I thought his stats for assist from dead balls was better then that

Agree with Tarbs his corners are hit and miss. Likes hitting first man but often they go straight out too
                          To be fair there are some decent deliveries from corners that are knocked on / pinballed about for goals (hence less assists from corners).

Will have a look at the decent corner count tonight IF he plays.

Comment

• Stanley do us a favour Stan and change the title to '2018/19 Playing Squad' please.

Comment

• Originally posted by Norths View Post
                              Stanley do us a favour Stan and change the title to '2018/19 Playing Squad' please.
                              Done.

Sorry for the late reply Norths. Been under the weather / offline for the past week or so.

Comment

• Cheers Stan. Nicely done .

Comment

Working...
                                X