2018/19 Playing Squad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
    The last few matches they've only performed individually. Scowen did well against Cardiff but the other two weren't great. Luongo did very well against millwall, the other two didn't, Freeman did well against Ipswich, the others didn't. There's always gonna be periods like that, but they're all still great players and Luongo imo right now is above this level, Freeman would be if he had pace, given his role, Scowen will be above this level.
    I rate all 3 of them mate. I probably don't rate Luongo quite as highly as you do, but I think it's a great trio in the middle and Scowen was the final piece of the jigsaw. Kudos to Ollie and Les for identifying that and going out to find the right man for the job.

Point I was making is there ain't a lot of point in having a great central midfield with a creative player in there in Luke Freeman when you have statues in front of you. And for large parts of this season whichever combo of Smith, Mackie, Sylla and Washington we've picked have been stood in front of these 3 guys like statues. In fact, they are forwards better suited to getting it down the wing and whipping a cross in, which is something we rarely ever do under Holloway.

Could be a completely different team with these 3 in midfield and the likes of Eze, Smyth and Oteh making runs in front of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarbie View Post
      I rate all 3 of them mate. I probably don't rate Luongo quite as highly as you do, but I think it's a great trio in the middle and Scowen was the final piece of the jigsaw. Kudos to Ollie and Les for identifying that and going out to find the right man for the job.

Point I was making is there ain't a lot of point in having a great central midfield with a creative player in there in Luke Freeman when you have statues in front of you. And for large parts of this season whichever combo of Smith, Mackie, Sylla and Washington we've picked have been stood in front of these 3 guys like statues. In fact, they are forwards better suited to getting it down the wing and whipping a cross in, which is something we rarely ever do under Holloway.

Could be a completely different team with these 3 in midfield and the likes of Eze, Smyth and Oteh making runs in front of them.
      Midfielders can't midfield when there is nothing infront of them to work with. Potentially Exciting times if these young fellas come good.

Comment

Originally posted by topperharley View Post
        Midfielders can't midfield when there is nothing infront of them to work with. Potentially Exciting times if these young fellas come good.
        Been saying that all season mate

Comment

Yeah I agree on Luongo personally I would cash in on him if there's a descent offer imo he's the easiest one to replace
          Plus's theres the arzhole of him and international duty
          Last edited by dogsrrs; 04-01-2018, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dogsrrs View Post
            Yeah I agree on Luongo personally I would cash in on him if there's a descent offer imo he's the easiest one to replace
            Plus's theres the arzhole of him and international duty
            I absolutely wouldn't be selling Mas unless a very big offer comes in. Who would replace him? Cousins I suppose. For me Manning isn't ready and Ollie has blanked every other central midfielder that we have. Would be a huge mistake to break that midfield trio up in my opinion!

Comment

Whenever I seen us on telly we seem to lack movements upfront. I believe Smyth is a player who can make unpredictable runs and open up spaces for our midfielders. We need more goals from Luongo and Scowen. Obviously from the other attackers also.
              QPR
              Best team in the world
              Sort of

Comment

Originally posted by Timmy the Doc View Post
                Smithies, Robinson, Scowen, Luongo, Freeman. That core is play-offs.
                Won't get anywhere near play-offs without a core striker.

Comment

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
                  The last few matches they've only performed individually. Scowen did well against Cardiff but the other two weren't great. Luongo did very well against millwall, the other two didn't, Freeman did well against Ipswich, the others didn't. There's always gonna be periods like that, but they're all still great players and Luongo imo right now is above this level, Freeman would be if he had pace, given his role, Scowen will be above this level.
                  Bit harsh on Scowen against Millwall seeing as he didn't even play !

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherds Mush View Post
                    Bit harsh on Scowen against Millwall seeing as he didn't even play !

Comment

Originally posted by Westway View Post
                      Am guessing that brought his average score on whoscored down a bit....

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherds Mush View Post
                        Won't get anywhere near play-offs without a core striker.
                        I fully agree. We would be very close to play-offs if we had one of the top Championship strikers.

Comment

A lot of posts are missing the point here IMO.

The root problem this season has been the system, less so the players.

We shouldn't even be playing 3 in CM. It's a waste of a position. We should be playing 2 CMs and using wingers and AMs instead of WBs. 1 DM and a flat back 4 provides sufficient defensive cover when out of possession.

Wingers would create more goalscoring opportunities for Smith, Sylla and Wheeler whose strengths are in the air. At the very least we should be playing to our strikers' strengths, who we all can agree have their limitations.

Luongo, Scowen, Cousins and Manning should be competing for the two CM spots (2 players for every position)

Smyth, Sylla, Smith and Oteh should be competing for 2 striker roles (2 players for every position)

Freeman, BOS, Pawel and Wheeler should be competing for the 2 winger/AM spots (2 players for every position)

This is the system that MOST suits the squad we have, but people have been saying this all season until they're blue in the face tbf.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley View Post
                            A lot of posts are missing the point here IMO.

The root problem this season has been the system, less so the players.

We shouldn't even be playing 3 in CM. It's a waste of a position. We should be playing 2 CMs and using wingers instead of WBs. 1 DM and a flat back 4 provides sufficient defensive cover when out of possession.

Wingers would create more goalscoring opportunities for Smith, Sylla and Wheeler whose strengths are in the air. At the very least we should be playing to our strikers' strengths, who we all can agree have their limitations.

Luongo, Scowen, Cousins and Manning should be competing for the two CM spots (2 players for every position)

Smyth, Sylla, Smith and Oteh should be competing for 2 striker roles (2 players for every position)

Freeman, BOS, Pawel and Wheeler should be competing for the 2 winger/AM spots (2 players for every position)

This is the system that MOST suits the squad we have, but people have been saying this all season until they're blue in the face tbf.
                            Don't 100% agree with that mate.

Personally I believe we can play 4 at the back and still accommodate these 3 players in the team. In fact I'd prefer all 3 of these players started. Of course this means playing Freeman out wide (with a genuine winger on the other side). Or my personal preference, playing with 1 out and out striker, 2 wingers and and Freeman in the number 10 role.

Comment

Don't 100% agree with that mate.

Personally I believe we can play 4 at the back and still accommodate these 3 players in the team. In fact I'd prefer all 3 of these players started. Of course this means playing Freeman out wide (with a genuine winger on the other side). Or my personal preference, playing with 1 out and out striker, 2 wingers and and Freeman in the number 10 role.
                              Was still editing my post when you posted mate. The winger and AM roles are not set in stone. They can be fluid and interchangeable. E.g you can have 1 winger on one side and an AM/No.10 more centrally. Further, they can always swap around mid-game to throw the oppo. Another E.g: Wheeler plays better (and potentially scores more goals) when tucked inside.

These are the finer details though. The main point I'm making is the shape of the team is set up wrong to begin with this season.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley View Post
                                Was still editing my post when you posted mate. The winger and AM roles are not set in stone. They can be fluid and interchangeable. E.g you can have 1 winger on one side and an AM/No.10 more centrally. Further, they can always swap around mid-game to throw the oppo. Another E.g: Wheeler plays better (and potentially scores more goals) when tucked inside.

These are the finer details though. The main point I'm making is shape of the team is set up wrong to begin with this season.
                                I'm with you mate.

I think everyone aside from Pinkie and Ollie can see that!

Comment

Working...
                                X