4 3 3 and balance of the first 11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 3 3 and balance of the first 11

Obviously great performance playing counter attacking football which worked perfectly on Thursday!

What did everyone make of it and did you like the balance of that 11, hall playing cdm and slotting in as as cd when we were being attacked?

I thought that Luongo hall and manning were outstanding and it was great to see players trying forward focused through balls!

Who on here would keep hall as a cdm rather than play him as a cd if we execute our game plan like we did against reading most weeks? Also should manning be a first team regular going forward!

My view is I liked the balance of the team on Thursday and think furlong should now play rb week in week out ahead of Perch!
    I'd personally drop Ned and move hall to cb and focus on bringing in a quality defensive minded cm who also has the ability to spray the ball around (I know that will behard to come by)! I'd leave the front three as they are currently but would look to bring Lua Lua on for a good 30 or so mins per game and also look to spend most of the money we have recouped on fast pacey championship quality striker!

What would every ones first team 11 be now including where wouldYou strengthen the team and who would you drop to make it that much better?

My best 11

Smithies

Furlong hall lynch Bidwell

Luongo...new cdm...manning/freeman

Wsolvev....new striker....Mackie/Lua Lua

Might be harsh on Sylla but would only drop him if we really went all out and got someone like Hooper,Rhodes or Wells! I imagine we will end up with something more like Campbell or Rodegella!

Would be imperative that we sign a experienced cdm/cm imo in the mound of a Lansbury or maybe the lad at Barnsley could do the job!
    Last edited by maidstone_hoop; 14-01-2017, 03:03 PM.

I like Furlong, but we need to be careful we don't build him up to be the next Gary Neville after one game. Reading had no wide threat at all, so he'll have tougher tests.

Comment

Originally posted by kenthoop View Post
      I like Furlong, but we need to be careful we don't build him up to be the next Gary Neville after one game. Reading had no wide threat at all, so he'll have tougher tests.
      Beerens was completely neutralised and he's no slouch on the wing. McCleary on the other side never really threatened either. I think Furlong was really clever with his positioning to make up for his lack of strength, but he'll definitely need to bulk up for the future.
      "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Like the look of our side as it is, obviously signing a new striker with pace, but liked the look of hall in midfield after his first game for us, & personally think he`ll improve, also we look very solid with him there and seems to let luongo loose at the other end bit more freedom wise! i say keep the 11 as it is now and just replace like for like when needed, but hope we dont start chopping & changing the formation up after finding a ideal one where we look solid defensively & attacking wise!
        http://soundcloud.com/pinkie2

Comment

Was a fantastic performance by us.

The most pleasing thing for me was that we were always trying to do the right thing. Although many of our final balls didn't pay off, it was simply down to slight misjudgements regarding the weight of passes, rather than the usual sloppiness. Hence we had way more opportunities than them and with a bit more good fortune, could easily have scored a couple more.

If I have any criticism at all, it would be how we still show an alarming lack of composure in defence. Whilst it's pleasing that we weren't doing stupid things at the back, we really ought to be able to pass our way out a bit better, but expect that will improve over time now. During the latter stages our attempted long clearances were in the main still awful, resulting in the ball returning to dangerous areas time after time, but perhaps that's me being a bit picky.

Superb overall performance by the lads. Just so annoying that the previous manager wasted all that creativity by playing the sort of boring tripe that he did.

Comment

We presently play a very fluid shape. And set up differently in the same game. At Reading we played the following at various times from the beginning to the end of the game.

352: 442: 433; 451

Hence Hall shifting between defence and midfield.

Comment

We should definately make sure that Perch stays in his best position which is in the stands. Hope Olly noticed that on Thursday.

Comment

Originally posted by Rangers77 View Post
                We presently play a very fluid shape. And set up differently in the same game. At Reading we played the following at various times from the beginning to the end of the game.

Well observed. If we're capable of that flexibility, that's ####ing impressive.

Comment

The first two sentences I agree with, that was something JFH could never do. Been wanting this for ages.

But I'm not convinced I saw all those formations vs Reading. 4-3-3 goes 4-5-1 ball lost and that we saw. I believe that set up to be Olly's default. Hall sometimes plays the reverse sweeper ie the one in front of four but in Olly's case that looks to me more like one of five sat deep (rather than 4-4-2 diamond).

The problem with this as Mackie says is not over complicating things. As long as everyone gets it that's fine.

Comment

Originally posted by maidstone_hoop View Post
                    Obviously great performance playing counter attacking football which worked perfectly on Thursday!

What did everyone make of it and did you like the balance of that 11, hall playing cdm and slotting in as as cd when we were being attacked?

I thought that Luongo hall and manning were outstanding and it was great to see players trying forward focused through balls!

Who on here would keep hall as a cdm rather than play him as a cd if we execute our game plan like we did against reading most weeks? Also should manning be a first team regular going forward!

My view is I liked the balance of the team on Thursday and think furlong should now play rb week in week out ahead of Perch!
                    I'd personally drop Ned and move hall to cb and focus on bringing in a quality defensive minded cm who also has the ability to spray the ball around (I know that will behard to come by)! I'd leave the front three as they are currently but would look to bring Lua Lua on for a good 30 or so mins per game and also look to spend most of the money we have recouped on fast pacey championship quality striker!

What would every ones first team 11 be now including where wouldYou strengthen the team and who would you drop to make it that much better?

My best 11

Smithies

Furlong hall lynch Bidwell

Luongo...new cdm...manning/freeman

Wsolvev....new striker....Mackie/Lua Lua

Might be harsh on Sylla but would only drop him if we really went all out and got someone like Hooper,Rhodes or Wells! I imagine we will end up with something more like Campbell or Rodegella!

Would be imperative that we sign a experienced cdm/cm imo in the mound of a Lansbury or maybe the lad at Barnsley could do the job!
                    4-3-3 works perfectly for Wszolek and Mackie so id be inclined to keep it. Away from home the hall cm/cb position could work lovely, at home id like to see him at cb and a more forward thinking central midfielder to go with luongo and manning to give us more go forward.

Horses for courses, and if our players are comfortable and like the system then run with it.

Comment

Originally posted by hal9thou View Post
                      The first two sentences I agree with, that was something JFH could never do. Been wanting this for ages.

But I'm not convinced I saw all those formations vs Reading. 4-3-3 goes 4-5-1 ball lost and that we saw. I believe that set up to be Olly's default. Hall sometimes plays the reverse sweeper ie the one in front of four but in Olly's case that looks to me more like one of five sat deep (rather than 4-4-2 diamond).

The problem with this as Mackie says is not over complicating things. As long as everyone gets it that's fine.
                      Definately had three at the back first fifteen mins or so. But we move about so much it's sometimes hard to tell.

Comment

Definately had three at the back first fifteen mins or so. But we move about so much it's sometimes hard to tell.
                        Yea Hall kept dropping back into a 3 whenever we lost the ball.
                        "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

But we move about so much it's sometimes hard to tell.
                          total football.......

Comment

Originally posted by hal9thou View Post
                            total football.......
                            Haha. We can but aspire.

Comment

Working...
                            X