Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A cynical ploy, a matter of expediency or a masterstroke?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A cynical ploy, a matter of expediency or a masterstroke?

When Olly's name came into the frame a few days ago, some people were asking whether it was pure expediency on the part of the club, given the new budgetary restrictions in place. Whilst names like Rowett, Sherwood and Clement were being discussed as genuine contenders, perhaps they were never even in the frame. With CEO Lee Hoos overseeing things with a tight rein, the names of those actually interviewed - Karl Robinson and Dougie Freedman - represented a more realistic standard.

But even so, Olly seemed like a wild card. A random choice. Perhaps it was even a cynical ploy in a desperate attempt to win back the fans, people asked. Harking back to bygone glory days when the club was united as a tribe and Loftus Road was our cave.

But if you combine those two factors - financial expediency and someone who could really lift the fans and steer this club out of the doldrums - then really only one name fits the bill: Ian Holloway.

It's a risk. All of us who watched QPR during Olly's first tenure know that. But then any appointment is a risk. But if Olly can galvanise this club and this group of players to raise their game, then something magical can happen - the sum can become greater than the parts. Perhaps returning to our cave mentality is what we need. We have been swanning it after our recent forays into the premiership, but at the same time, we've lost our soul. It was tribalism and bonding along with hard-nosed pragmatism and no shortage of skill that got us promoted under Neil Warnock. Today we really only have the former two factors available. This squad has nothing like the class or steel of that 2010/11 squad. So we will have to rely on Olly's magic. And if, IF, that starts to bring a return, not just in improved performances but also a buzzing crowd, then maybe the board will be persuaded to dip into their pockets in January, and certainly at the end of the season; and then Olly might have a chance of performing yet another apparent minor miracle, and lead a small club back to the top flight. In which case, his appointment will be seen as a masterstroke. It could happen. Or it could all end in tears. But the rollercoaster ride is about to begin again. Hold on to your hats.
    Last edited by Hubble; 11-11-2016, 09:42 PM.

Nice post and totally agree Hubs.
    Like many have said, I wasn't initially impressed when Ollies name was being mentioned, but after watching the interview, I have that feeling of hope back in my gut
    Minds Are Like Parachutes.
    Work Best When Open...
    @Nowt2SeeHere

Comment

We are definatly getting our Rangers back

No mercenaries ... Just people who love the club

That's what we've all been moaning about...we now have an identity again.

Comment

Loved his interview that he gave, true passion and gives you a huge confidence boost. He wants to do a good job and seems so much more adept and mature than he has been in the past. Can't wait for the next few months

Comment

Ollie

2 Strikers
          2 wingers
          Sandro in midfield
          Job done

Comment

One thing is for sure one or two of our so called better players will have a wake up call They will learn to treat it as privilege to play for QPR or get out , I once spoke to a player Jimmy Agree who arrived late for a trial and he said Ollie just ++++ed him off

Comment

Originally posted by Hubble View Post
              It could happen. Or it could all end in tears.
              I would say the latter is the more likely outcome, but nice optimistic post anyway Hubs.

Comment

Very good post Hubble. Almost like you nicked it off a journalist. lol. One thing is for sure with the other more favourable names that had been mentioned and touted......

Paul Clement....although undoubtedly a very good coach who has learned his trade at some of the biggest clubs in world football and must have a wealth of knowledge. No-one really can be sure if he will ever make it on his own so in that light will be a risk for anyone to take on.

Tim Sherwood....did a comfortable job at Tottenham but had some very very good players who are now well established internationals so hard to judge him on his few months there. Had a thankless task at Villa who were only really destined for the drop regardless of who came in, Sometime that happens at clubs where they need to go down and rebuild the club from top to bottom i.e Southampton, Man City, Leicester. So still hard to judge him on Villa although they did have new manager bounce under him and got to the F.A cup final but inevitably the sh1t rose to the top the following season.

Gary Rowett.... layed good foundations at Burton only to leave for Birmingham. Whilst highly regarded and has improved Birmingham since he arrived has yet really to achieve anything significant with them and has hardly turned them into world beaters. After all, they currently only have five more points than us even given our uninspiring season so far. So Rowett for me hasn't proved anything yet.

That leaves our Ian Holloway. Whilst many were extremely surprised he was even mentioned let alone a legitimate target. Lots claiming he is inept with no tactical awareness, out of his depth, and almost archaic given his last success in many eyes was with us 10 years ago. Had good success with a very unfashionable Blackpool and Crystal Palace and even back as far as Bristol Rovers. You don't achieve any of that if you don't know a thing or two.
                Yes he is unorthodox and even crazy at times but he knows how to galvanize a squad and get them playing for each other. He has more experience than the three above put together and there is one thing for sure. He loves this club with a passion and will put more into it than any of the others mentioned.

Lets give him 100% backing and time to get his way across to the players. It won't change overnight but it will be a roller coaster.

Comment

Good post Hubs and like the bit about losing our soul which I think went when Hughes was appointed and just carried on. Lets hope the players buy into his way and see where it takes us.

Comment

Originally posted by Hubble View Post
                    But if you combine those two factors - financial expediency and someone who could really lift the fans and steer this club out of the doldrums - then really only one name fits the bill: Ian Holloway.
                    The main factors were finding someone who would work with Les for low pay.

I wouldn't call it expedient. I'd call it dumb economics. Football wise it makes no sense at all.. We're going backwards not forwards.

Comment

Great post! I was massively underwhelmed when it was obvious Ollie was taking over but the last 24 hours has brought about a change in my mind. That mind change was confirmed when watching Ollie's interview, he loves Rangers and you know exactly why he impressed at interview. If he fails it won't be down to lack of effort or determination and that will run through the club and most importantly to the players on the pitch.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattyqpr View Post
                        Great post! I was massively underwhelmed when it was obvious Ollie was taking over but the last 24 hours has brought about a change in my mind. That mind change was confirmed when watching Ollie's interview, he loves Rangers and you know exactly why he impressed at interview. If he fails it won't be down to lack of effort or determination and that will run through the club and most importantly to the players on the pitch.
                        You're just hoping that he can turn the clock back. This was not a rational decision. We don't do those.

Comment

When you take into consideration that Hoos came from Burnley this appoinment in a way makes perfectly sense. Holloway is in fact quite similar to their gaffer when it comes to passion and teambuilding. Another similarity between the clubs is a tight budget...
                          QPR
                          Best team in the world
                          Sort of

Comment

Originally posted by hal9thou View Post
                            You're just hoping that he can turn the clock back. This was not a rational decision. We don't do those.
                            Not at all. Who was a better choice that was realistically available? I and the majority wanted Clement/Rowett but we need to realise the owners have done a complete u turn with financial input. I don't agree with the owners stance but that's another debate. However, we have to live with it and for our new approach, I'd rather Ollie than Freedman, Robinson or Cotterill etc.

Comment

He's a cheap appeasement to stall for time and save money pending the OOC decision.
                              Last edited by acricketer; 12-11-2016, 01:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X