Insight into Warnock's recruiting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insight into Warnock's recruiting

So I recall a few months ago people were calling for Warnock to become Director of Football and sack Les from the role. Personally I was not in agreement with this as I didn't feel it was too forward thinking, nor were his strengths being played to in this role. Irrespective, I've been reading a fantastic book called "The Nowhere Men: The Unkown Story of Football's True Talent Spotters" by Michael Calvin, a book about the lifestyle of scouts, definitely worth a read if you want an insight into the game.

Anyway, there's a chapter in the book called Chat Show where Michael Calvin sits in on a discussion between Barry Lloyd, Allan Gemmell and Pat Holland, 3 well respected scouts in football. At one point they start discussing managers who go and do their final scouting to confirm information regarding players. At this Point Allan Gemmell interjects with a bit regarding Neil Warnock that I found interesting and seeing that this can be seen as related to the club given the fact that Warnock has stated his desire to have some sort of role in the mould of DoF and some people seem to be in support of this, I've decided to post this part up:

Allan There are some very good managers who wouldn't know how to select a player, or recruit a player, because they leave it to other people. Neil Warnock's a classic - he leaves it all to Mick [Jones] to make the final decisions on players, because Mick is very in-depth with it. It is 'yes or no, Mick?' and if he says 'yes, we'll have him' he signs him. He wouldn't have a clue, Neil. He honestly would not have a clue. At the club they won't see Warnock till Thursday, because he's taken his wife out for lovely lunches, but the impact he has on the Thursday for an hour, is frightening. And when he's in the dressing room...
    To me, this gives us everything we need to know regarding him. Probably one of the best motivators in English football, but certainly not made for a DoF role. I just thought I'd share this as it seems an interesting read. There are a few bits in there about us as well which are pretty interesting.
    "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Agree with this Nasser

Still the joint most sucessful promotion manager ever

He deserves lunch ....ill buy it for him if he ever comes back.

if he wants to go for lunch

Comment

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
      So I recall a few months ago people were calling for Warnock to become Director of Football and sack Les from the role. Personally I was not in agreement with this as I didn't feel it was too forward thinking, nor were his strengths being played to in this role. Irrespective, I've been reading a fantastic book called "The Nowhere Men: The Unkown Story of Football's True Talent Spotters" by Michael Calvin, a book about the lifestyle of scouts, definitely worth a read if you want an insight into the game.

Anyway, there's a chapter in the book called Chat Show where Michael Calvin sits in on a discussion between Barry Lloyd, Allan Gemmell and Pat Holland, 3 well respected scouts in football. At one point they start discussing managers who go and do their final scouting to confirm information regarding players. At this Point Allan Gemmell interjects with a bit regarding Neil Warnock that I found interesting and seeing that this can be seen as related to the club given the fact that Warnock has stated his desire to have some sort of role in the mould of DoF and some people seem to be in support of this, I've decided to post this part up:

To me, this gives us everything we need to know regarding him. Probably one of the best motivators in English football, but certainly not made for a DoF role. I just thought I'd share this as it seems an interesting read. There are a few bits in there about us as well which are pretty interesting.
      Cheers for that Nasser. Very interesting. Post up some more bits about us if you've got time would be good to read.

Comment

Clearly works for him if true and perhaps explains why he was able to manipulate and manage Adel as that above suggests there very similar

My favourite Rangers manager

Comment

Originally posted by West Acton View Post
          Clearly works for him if true and perhaps explains why he was able to manipulate and manage Adel as that above suggests there very similar

would make a good thread. who is everyones favourite manager in their lifetime.
          nsa/cia spy on this..............┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Comment

Originally posted by West Acton View Post

No doubt it does work for him, my concern would be him as a DoF when he's incapable of doing what is required of a DoF. Might as well cut out the middle man and just hire Mick Jones as a DoF if we were going to change. No doubt though that he is for me the best manager we've had in a long time.
            "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
              No doubt it does work for him, my concern would be him as a DoF when he's incapable of doing what is required of a DoF. Might as well cut out the middle man and just hire Mick Jones as a DoF if we were going to change. No doubt though that he is for me the best manager we've had in a long time.
              When he got sacked were there not rumours he was never at training ground and those taking sessions in his absence were usually out on the social the night before or am I imagining that

Comment

Originally posted by Hitman34 View Post
                would make a good thread. who is everyones favourite manager in their lifetime.
                Would defo be interesting to see the names dare I say it might show up the ages of some of us

Comment

Warnocks definitely one of the last Mike Bassett managers in the game. So old fashioned in all his managerial ways. Not that it's a bad thing.

Comment

Best QPR manager of all time? How about Alec Stock?

Comment

its an interesting read, your quote, but by everything I've heard told about NW - its in no way surprising.
                      Rangers Til I Die
                      follow me at twitter.com/arthurqpr

Comment

Di Canio...always having a go at the opposition - loved it

Comment

I cant see how that should be a mark against him being DOF as long as he's got the right scouts , why have a dog and bark yourself !
                          I along with quite a few on here dont see L F as a DOF whats he done ? and dont give me what a great job he'done getting wages down
                          who has put Tozser , Angelica , konch , Perch , on wages , who was reported to have turnrd down 6m for Phillips , Redknapp also cut the wage bill

Comment

2nd only to Gerry Francis for me is Warnock. He turned us from relegation fodder to champions in a year and a bit. He turned results around immediately. Didn't want him as director of football though.

Comment

Originally posted by dogsrrs View Post
                              I cant see how that should be a mark against him being DOF as long as he's got the right scouts , why have a dog and bark yourself
                              Suerly that applies to Les too then just needs right scouts then majority can give him fair crack

Comment

Working...
                              X