Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did anyone ever see QPR play at White City Stadium?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My only memory is it being used as a car park for R's matches when my dad took us as kids in the 70's.

Comment

Can remember going there a few times with my Dad as a small kid. Loved it as I could see easily, though suspect as an adult I would have found it rather soulless due to distance from pitch, greyhound/athletics track and small crowd in huge stadium.

Comment

seeing that Human League video reminded me of David Cassidy who appeared there. Jeez the girls went crazy, sadly one girl died
        I must away now, I can no longer tarry
        This morning's tempest I have to cross
        I must be guided without a stumble
        Into the arms I love the most

Comment

Originally posted by Alanwycombe View Post
          They had some good riders for a couple of years. Did you go to Wembley or Wimbledon when they finished? I followed Wembley and we beat Leicester twice in one day - afternoon at the Bush and evening on the track.
          Went to Wimbledon and Leicester a few times. Was fortunate enough to race my old VW camper van around the Leicester track at a VW meet back in the 90s.
          I also recall White City being used for away fan coaches at some point.
          Minds Are Like Parachutes.
          Work Best When Open...
          @Nowt2SeeHere

Comment

Originally posted by Joe90 View Post
            I'm going to guess no, but was looking at pictures and it was massive, 93,000 capacity! It was also used in the world cup, the only ground apart from Wembley used in London.
            Originally posted by californiahoop View Post
            I watched the dogs a few times, early 80's, at the time I wanted us to get it but the OOC project is the one for us, it might be 10 years but it will be worth it!
            It would have been great to get it. I know it didnt work in the 60s but that was because it wasnt a football stadium.
            It was available to buy in the 80s but it was wrong time and owners. Had it been available now....

Comment

Originally posted by lymehoop View Post
              seeing that Human League video reminded me of David Cassidy who appeared there. Jeez the girls went crazy, sadly one girl died
              David Cassidy, blimey theres a blast from the past
              I blew a lot on vodka and tonic, gambling and fags. Looking back, I think I overdid it on the tonic. - The one and only Stanley Bowles

Comment

Yep went a few times only to muck about in rather then watching the footy. Used to muck about in the army barracks opposite and get chased out by the army boys, they never could catch us with them steel boots !

Comment

Originally posted by Joe90 View Post
                  I'm going to guess no, but was looking at pictures and it was massive, 93,000 capacity! It was also used in the world cup, the only ground apart from Wembley used in London.
                  My first trip to see us was at White City taken by my uncle who lived in the Bush,Conningham Rd and
                  was a tic tac man at the dogs.

That first trip was against Hull City but was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch I remember it
                  well amazingly the ground was massive and had a fantastic main stand allthogh covered all round.

Went to some games after that but we moved back HOME due to financial problems.

Not much changes thinking about it

Comment

The more people writing about Rangers memories of the 50s and 60s the better ,really interesting stuff ,please keep it coming
                    Rangers,Scooters ,Tunes and Trainers

Comment

I used to work there on the Tote for the dogs. Greyhound Derby night was pretty smart - 20,000 drunk punters gave it a special atmosphere - roar that went up as hare came round to the traps knocks the spots off any crowd noise I've ever heard at footy. It was a ramshackle dump but the low roof and bowl like shape didn't half create a din.

Comment

Saw the white city rebels ride there , used to get about 5/6 thousand in that stadium , looked a bit empty.

Comment

we used to do the dogs at Wimbledon ,and banger racing,
                          Had many good nights chasing south London dogs !
                          Rangers,Scooters ,Tunes and Trainers

Comment

Originally posted by LoftusRoadLad View Post
                            Yep went a few times only to muck about in rather then watching the footy. Used to muck about in the army barracks opposite and get chased out by the army boys, they never could catch us with them steel boots !
                            i knew a skinhead that lived in the barracks his dad was the sargent i think

Comment

Yup - my first Rs game was there with my uncle, I was like six or seven, this must have been one of our last fixtures there..... my main memory is just loads of empty space. LR seemed a lot busier.

Comment

What a great thread, some real awesome tales to be told, thanks for sharing!
                                @gatorTFC

Comment

Working...
                                X