Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did anyone ever see QPR play at White City Stadium?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did anyone ever see QPR play at White City Stadium?

I'm going to guess no, but was looking at pictures and it was massive, 93,000 capacity! It was also used in the world cup, the only ground apart from Wembley used in London.

I used to go there to watch The White City Rebels (speedway) and greyhound racing prior to it closing in the early 80s.
    Here's a photo from 1908.

Minds Are Like Parachutes.
    Work Best When Open...
    @Nowt2SeeHere

Comment

jfish the senior did....

Comment

I did
        A midweek game which we won 1 0. It might have been against Southend and was in the early 60's. I remember the place seemed huge but the crowd didn't! There was lots of space and the pitch seemed a long way away. I used to go with my dad, only being 7 or 8 at the time. I remember thinking that White City seemed an exciting place from the outside and remained so whilst it became more of a White elephant. Loftis Road always seemed an exacting place to watch a game in a ramshackle way.

Comment

Started going to Rangers in 63 so just missed White City but saw Rugby match there and went to Speedway. It was a dump. No money had been spent on it because Wembley was so close.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe90 View Post
            I'm going to guess no, but was looking at pictures and it was massive, 93,000 capacity! It was also used in the world cup, the only ground apart from Wembley used in London.
            Hard to believe now just how big some of the grounds were before they were developed. The Valley had an enormous terrace. Spurs was 60-65 thou and even Scumford Bridge before it started rotting away.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraggy View Post
              I used to go there to watch The White City Rebels (speedway) and greyhound racing prior to it closing in the early 80s.
              Here's a photo from 1908.

They had some good riders for a couple of years. Did you go to Wembley or Wimbledon when they finished? I followed Wembley and we beat Leicester twice in one day - afternoon at the Bush and evening on the track.

Comment

I watched the dogs a few times, early 80's, at the time I wanted us to get it but the OOC project is the one for us, it might be 10 years but it will be worth it!
                Kept the faith!

Comment

Originally posted by californiahoop View Post
                  I watched the dogs a few times, early 80's, at the time I wanted us to get it but the OOC project is the one for us, it might be 10 years but it will be worth it!
                  Few missed opportunities on our doorstep to develop

Comment

Originally posted by Joe90 View Post
                    I know my old man did, not that he posts on here... but he's spoke about it a few times in the past. (Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge & good times comes to mind)

Comment

I went a number of times when Rangers played there it was huge but big space brtween seats & pitch Athletics ,dogs,Bookies slope then seats i remember we had about 4-5000 in a huge stadium .Also saw World Cup game there was almost full & good atmosphere i remember Much like Olympic stadium will be not meant for football .Remember some good games there & black programme for Churchill's death!

Comment

it used to host The Horse of the Year show prior to the westway being constructed (late 60's), they stabled the horses on the TA site on SA Road, also greyhounds, athletics and speedway. In the end was hardly used. If only we had the wonga and the foresight to have made the move before the beeb got their grubby hands on it
                        I must away now, I can no longer tarry
                        This morning's tempest I have to cross
                        I must be guided without a stumble
                        Into the arms I love the most

Comment

Been there done that.Gee lm old.

Comment

This video was shot in parts there too, wiz through to about 3mins 12 secs

I blew a lot on vodka and tonic, gambling and fags. Looking back, I think I overdid it on the tonic. - The one and only Stanley Bowles

Comment

Saw most matches there but quite young. Biggest memory was Dugdale being bought in to replace my favourite Rutter.

Comment

Working...
                              X