No announcement yet.

I am very concerned - squad size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am more concerned by the number of players that we may yet loose as opposed to those that we will bring in.

Comment

Originally posted by maidstone_hoop View Post
      It's all ifs and buts atm mate. If we keep caulker and ned we have one of the best cb pairings in the league at championship level. Keep Phillips and arguably the best winger in the league imo...add green or McCarthy into the mix and goalkeeper wise we are very solid too.

I believe when Charlie's gone we will see a marquee signing to replace him on top of someone like gray. The club have always been ambitious under tf and I reckon we will continue to be. I think the signings we have got atm are good sensible signings, for the future and in mackie good experience. However I expect more quality to be added if we sell fer, Austin, Matty ect but if we do t well we don't need a massive over haul.
      Hope you are right mate. Agree if we keep most of those players we would have a great team for the Champ. But if say four of those go we suddenly look very poor indeed. Austin will probably go reasonably soon but I could see the likes of Philips and Fer going last minute like Remy and that won't give us time to bring in decent replacements.

As for marquee signings, there are marquees and marquees. Report saying Liverpool might offer us Ricky Lambert in part exchange for Austin. Cd see him poss or Carlton Cole or most likely Daryl Murphy.

Comment

Originally posted by oldhoop View Post
        That's cos I posted it on there too!

I guess that's OK?
        Of course mate. I copied and pasted my response from here to there as I also post on there. Are you on not606?

Comment

Fair point

Doesn't make a huge difference but Ale Faurlin too
          Under Les Ferdinand:
          Luke Freeman, top assists in the league: 4million
          Alex Smithies, great goalie for this club: 3,5million
          Charlie Austin, 19 Premier League goals: 4million
          Jack Robinson: Contract ran out, left for free
          And many more mistakes

LES FERDINAND, IT'S TIME TO GO

Comment

Disagree, I think we're doing a good job of getting the wheels in motion early doors. 3 first team players signed, couple of youths signed and a couple more first teamers that should be announced this week (hopefully). Also negotiations underway to ship out the players that aren't going to stay. Good progress in less than 3 weeks in my opinion!

Comment

let's not forget Charlie, Leroy and Matty are still with us, plus the prospect of Sterling being sold by Citeh. That could be £35-40m in the coffers. We've got our hands tied while these transfers are still up in the air
              I must away now, I can no longer tarry
              This morning's tempest I have to cross
              I must be guided without a stumble
              Into the arms I love the most

Comment

Oldhoop makes a good point. Although he said he is very concerned, not that he was panicking.

Still plenty of time, but after the start we made with the lads from Swindon, there is no doubt that most were expecting a few more by now.

On a separate issue, if anyone read Oldhoop's post on LFW, one would have noticed that he didn't knock this site. He merely pointed out that he was disillusioned with messageboards in general. And judging by some responses, it's not hard to see why.

Comment

plenty of loans available throughout almost all of the season. So no panic like with 25 man squad in prem.

Comment

Originally posted by brightonr View Post
                    Oldhoop makes a good point. Although he said he is very concerned, not that he was panicking.

Still plenty of time, but after the start we made with the lads from Swindon, there is no doubt that most were expecting a few more by now.

On a separate issue, if anyone read Oldhoop's post on LFW, one would have noticed that he didn't knock this site. He merely pointed out that he was disillusioned with messageboards in general. And judging by some responses, it's not hard to see why.
                    Thanks BrightonR. Sound bloke

As you say, not panicking (yet!)but concerned

For reference I would never knock WatRB. Just having a dabble on LFW. they seem a good bunch and there is definitely less vitriol over there and not as quick to jump down your proverbial throat.

But i would miss most on here so not going anywhere.
                    oldhoop

The Bread Mans Blue and White Army

Comment

Only 2 weeks or so until they return to pre season and start to try and jel as a squad.

Prepare for end of August last minutes and at least 4 loanees.

#justfearingtheworst
                      I think loanees will play a big role in making up squad numbers.
                      It will be a long hard slog of a season as they were in the days pre-warnock.

Comment

At e moment I'm not so much concerned about players coming in as those going out I want them gone asap

Comment

We only have;

2 keepers - Green & McCarthy (1 needed)

5 defenders - Hill, Caulker, Onuoha, Suk-Young & Traore (at least 4 more needed)

8 Midfielders - Phillips (staying?), Henry (re-signing?),Hoillet, Fer (staying?), Sandro (???), Luongo, Gladwin & now Mackie (before departures 2 more needed)

2 Forwards - Austin (soon to go) & JET (3 needed)

A total squad of 17 (plus possibly the youngsters Greco-Cox, Doughty, Ehmer and Furlong)

That looks extremely, worryingly, thin!!!

Bear in mind the extra games in the Championship and no 25 man restriction boy do we need some extra resource!!!

At least 10 more players and pronto.(plus replacements for any further leavers)

This has all the hallmarks of another disaster and I am completely not taken in by the "new world" mantra. We have had 11 leavers so far and have recruited just 4. (if Mackie goes ahead) with bigger squads in the Championship we are woefully short of numbers and the season is 6/7 weeks away.

Please please lets not go into another season with just a couple of forwards, the successful clubs have at least 5 we surely can't fall into that trap again, can we?

Come on Les get your finger out or we will struggle to stay in this division let alone contend for promotion!
                          I think our squad has been much too big in the past which is why we have spent so much money on wages. Always seems to be 20% bigger than the teams we play and we pay players to play for other teams (e.g. Barton to OM) and pay players to train but never play (e.g. SWP, Carbs). How many players do we really need? It seems to me that a squad of 25, supplemented if needed from the junior ranks, should be ample. Every position covered twice and three keepers. We need to make sure we use the players we have.
                          'Only a Ranger!' cried Gandalf. 'My dear Frodo, that is just what the Rangers are: the last remnant in the South of the great people, the Men of West London.' - Lord of the Rings, Book II, Chapter I - Many Meetings.

Comment

Originally posted by dsqpr View Post
                            I think our squad has been much too big in the past which is why we have spent so much money on wages. Always seems to be 20% bigger than the teams we play and we pay players to play for other teams (e.g. Barton to OM) and pay players to train but never play (e.g. SWP, Carbs). How many players do we really need? It seems to me that a squad of 25, supplemented if needed from the junior ranks, should be ample. Every position covered twice and three keepers. We need to make sure we use the players we have.
                            Outrageous coming on here seaking comon sense at half past four in the morning ye gads where will it all end

Comment

I'm sorry but I may be missing the point as what is wrong with this squad? 2 top class championship keepers is fine and we can get a third very easily (maybe promote lennox from youth), for the back 4, theres 5 first team players and we may need 3 minor players (again youth, furlong (premier league appearences), ehmer (maybe) then maybe 1 more on loan or free), thats 7 players for a max of 5 man midfield with doughty, traore or another youth/loanee to come in, so maybe 1 or max 2. last of all strikers, 2 great strikers, plus grego-cox and maybe mackie if it calls for it, maybe again another loanee.

Don't be so defeatist before the transfer windows open, never mind the season

Comment

It is fair to be worried, I think keeper wise third choice keeper being youth is fine.

I am worried that we will now swing too far down the young and hungry route and we must get a balanced squad.

We need : old guard (experience)like hill, Derry, etc
                                We need: quality like Taraabt
                                We need :pace

But you will only win a league with Proven goalscorers

Comment

Working...
                                X