The nucleus for success

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The nucleus for success

Assuming we get a big price for Charlie, Green finishes his career as a starter/sub for another PL club, and we only retain Dunne or Hill as both a mentor and player for a final season, here are the six players I'd start building the future around:

Matty Phillips -- loads of potential, fast, a little more touch/finish and he'll be an all-star in Championship with continued PL potential
    Leroy Fer -- in an injury-shortened season, showed flashes of highlight reel scoring power
    Nedum Onouha -- emerging leader/anchor on the back line; speed and grit; build new defense around him
    Darnell Furlong -- a young and emerging talent; with coaching nothing but upside; great attitude/leadership skills
    Reece Greco-Cox -- there's something about this speedy dude that's going to light up our fan base, our fortunes on the field
    Alex McCarthy -- time to develop the next great goalkeeper; has much potential

As for the rest:
    SWP, Adel, Krancjar, Hoilett, Traore, et alia -- we've had enough; no more; dump those with contracts at almost any cost
    Petrasso and Doughty -- potential that needs bit more time to develop
    Karl Henry -- keep around based on the right terms
    Joey Barton -- a tough call; love his blood and guts efforts, but the rest of Joey comes at a price
    Yun -- think he needs to be coached up a bit more, but think he's on a good track to improve his game
    Bobby Z -- give him a hero's send off

I like most of what you're saying here. I hope that we can weather relegation with some combination of Charlie, Matty, and Fer. If we keep two of the three, we'll be in a very good place to score goals in the Championship. I think Charlie is the easiest to sell for a high price and if losing him means keeping the other two, I think we need to do it. Fer especially seems to have become a leader and would have been a better one if he hadn't been injured.

If we sell off the dead weight (like you said, that consists of Adel, Wright-Phillips and the like) then it'll help us with the fines. Ship SWP off to MLS or something, he's useless in any top European league.

Assuming Charlie and Greeno leave, this would be my choice eleven for the first day of next season:

McCarthy

Furlong Onouha Dunne Yun

Phillips Doughty Barton Grego-Cox/Fer

Grego-Cox/Fer Vargas/Zamora
    -------------------------------------------------

I liked the little that I saw from Doughty this season and a year in the Championship with the experience of Barton would really help his development. The same with Furlong- the more experienced players picked on him, but he has the makings of a very good player. Keep Dunne on for the experience, groom Onuoha to take over as captain when Barton goes on his way, and let Cox grow into his athleticism as a hybrid winger-striker in the same vein as Deandre Yedlin. The team would have a perfect balance of youth and experience, and we'd be able to excel for two seasons at the second level then come back into the Prem having shed Dunne, Barton, and Zamora.

I think Vargas has the potential to be brilliant, but Harry horribly misused him. I've seen him play as a striker for Chile and he's quite good. If he settles into a rotation with the others and has Phillips feeding him the ball, he'll score his fair share of goals.

All in all, I think we're in better shape than we were when Redknapp left. We've turned an awful, unbalanced team into something that we can build on. I'm willing to trust Ramsey for another season. He's committed to the club, the players are loyal to him, and he's not afraid to develop the youth. Maybe we can turn Comley into a replacement for Dunne.

Comment

Really good summary and tend to agree with that.

We also have Robinson to come back and he's a very exciting defender with a big future. If we had this as a spine to go into next year we would certainly have something to work with -

McCarthy

Furlong/new rb onohua new cb yun/Robinson

Phillips Fer new cm new lw

New St. New St

Dunne
      Henry/barton
      Doughty
      New winger
      New St
      Cox

Got to say I think we will lose ned though and actually will be stuck with caulker.

Comment

Vargas has gone mate.

Comment

Dunne is way too slow now. Players like him are the ones that we must axe. Sorry, Dunne. There must be others options out there with speed and tecnique, even though they are CBs.
          QPR
          Best team in the world
          Sort of

Comment

Originally posted by CroydonCaptainJack View Post
            Vargas has gone mate.
            One bad egg down; several to go.

Comment

Wouldn't have Richard Dunne anywhere near the first team, personally.

Yes, he sometimes looks OK winning a header, just as Green sometimes looks OK making a good save. Unfortunately, both of them, although they are far from alone, make far too many errors that outweigh any good that they do.

Comment

Originally posted by brightonr View Post

Yes, he sometimes looks OK winning a header, just as Green sometimes looks OK making a good save. Unfortunately, both of them, although they are far from alone, make far too many errors that outweigh any good that they do.
                This. Time to look forward, not players in there late 30's. Get Barton out the club as well and I'll bet you will see a happier dressing room. Bloke is toxic.

Comment

Dunne shouldn't be a first team player but he could be handy as a squad player. Last 15/20 mins or the odd game he would be useful. Also as a role model and leader in the squad he's good to have around.

Comment

Originally posted by brightonr View Post

correct. absolutely spot on with Dunne. works his socks off and clear gives a sht about the club (coming out weeks ago saying he'll stay with us even if were relegated). but for me, he's a no. slow, and makes far too many mistakes. the guy is a serial own goal scoring machine and a leader in always making those "unintended/can't coach em errors"

get someone else in who has Dunney's will-sweat-it-out-for-the-shirt mentality
                    Rangers Til I Die
                    follow me at twitter.com/arthurqpr

Comment

Furlong and Grego-Cox nowhere near a successful first team football.

Comment

Need to build from the back in the championship and win 1 nil.

Comment

Originally posted by Timmy the Doc View Post
                          Furlong and Grego-Cox nowhere near a successful first team football.
                          Zzzzzzzzzz

Comment

Building a squad around players we know next to nothing about (unless you are down at Harlington everyday and attending U21 games?). This isn't football manager the computer game. Easy to plot things out on paper, very different trying to put a team together that will actually win games.

Comment

No one suggested building a team around them... More that we don't write them off and try and slowly bring the, into the first team

Comment

Working...
                              X