Joey and 100 caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shepherds Mush View Post
    All time friendlies for Wales is Neville Southall who in 13 years did 29 friendlies to Giggs' 10....so add the extra 19 to RG's 64 caps....83....still less than 100

I know you love stats and numbers..!
    Let me explain my Point of view with one player: Gareth Bale with 49 appearances at the age of 25 with 9 years of international football. Assuming he started about 1 year into his pro career with man city, he Barton could have up to 12 years of international footy at a regular level, considering bale was injured for a prolonged period and wasn't really a regular initially with his poor form and as a result missed 27 matches (9 through Injury), lets say barton only proportionally would have missed half of those matches, he would have an expected 83 matches under his belt by now, and he would probably still be in the squad out of regularity over ledley (who is still a good player), especially with the lack of quality in that position.
    By the way, had he played every match he was elegible for (IE didn't miss through injury but pulled out for club level) up until his retirement, Ryan Giggs would have exactly 100 caps.
    "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
      Let me explain my Point of view with one player: Gareth Bale with 49 appearances at the age of 25 with 9 years of international football. Assuming he started about 1 year into his pro career with man city, he Barton could have up to 12 years of international footy at a regular level, considering bale was injured for a prolonged period and wasn't really a regular initially with his poor form and as a result missed 27 matches (9 through Injury), lets say barton only proportionally would have missed half of those matches, he would have an expected 83 matches under his belt by now, and he would probably still be in the squad out of regularity over ledley (who is still a good player), especially with the lack of quality in that position.
      By the way, had he played every match he was elegible for (IE didn't miss through injury but pulled out for club level) up until his retirement, Ryan Giggs would have exactly 100 caps.
      I'll agree to disagree because although I like Joey Barton, he would never get 100 caps at International level because he just aint that good enough to be picked that many times!

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherds Mush View Post
        I'll agree to disagree because although I like Joey Barton, he would never get 100 caps at International level because he just aint that good enough to be picked that many times!
        I would definitely agree with you that he isn't really that good to be picked so much but he is certainly better than most other options that the nations have. Thats the only reason I can see him getting up there. Bear in mind that he most definitely said this as a wind up.
        "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Hes one of those players that rarely if ever gets dropped due to his commitment and heart and positive effect on other players. So once in place for one of the small nations, he would of stayed there. Didnt realise how hard and how long it took to get to a 100 caps though, so that is a bit optimistic.

Comment

Originally posted by West Acton View Post
            Think few people have been taken in by the Mirror article. He said it for the bites on radio yesterday and immediately followed it up with a tweet of 'gone fishing' with a picture of a big haul of fish in a net

He was taking the p iss and loads took the bait
            Ah, so he was just pretending to be a c*** then?

Fair enough.

Impressive commitment to keep that up through an entire career, but as long as he gets some juicy bites from strangers on the internet, it's all been worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Mcleod View Post
              Hes one of those players that rarely if ever gets dropped due to his commitment and heart and positive effect on other players. So once in place for one of the small nations, he would of stayed there. Didnt realise how hard and how long it took to get to a 100 caps though, so that is a bit optimistic.
              Think his saying 100 just means getting plenty more than he did for England (not that that means much) But I absolutely agree. Similar to Scott Brown (apparently a better player according to some) at Celtic.

Comment

That performance would of ensured another pick for ireland. Motm second game running for me.

Comment

Working...
                X