So Ramsey has said four wins Keep us up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Telegraph ran this model today

"Our prediction takes an average of every team's wins, draws, defeats, goals for and goals against so far in 2015 to model the rest of the season, with the full results below:"

Comment

Originally posted by acricketer View Post
      Telegraph ran this model today

"Our prediction takes an average of every team's wins, draws, defeats, goals for and goals against so far in 2015 to model the rest of the season, with the full results below:"

Well there you have it in black and white from the Telegraph.
      If Ramsey stays in charge that is exactly what I would expect.

Comment

Originally posted by stanistheman View Post
        Well there you have it in black and white from the Telegraph.
        If Ramsey stays in charge that is exactly what I would expect.
        Let me point out a quick fact. I did some research into the season we stayed up, looking at the bottom 5 teams. These were (by the end of it) Aston Villa, Qpr, Bolton, Blackburn and Wolves. I looked at their points total in the first half of the season, the points collected between the 20th and 30th matches of the season and the points collected in the final 8 matches of the season.

Villa had amassed a total of 23 points at the half way point of the season. From the 20th to 30th match, they managed 10 points. In their last 8 matches, they managed only 5 points and stayed up with a total of 38 points. Using the algorithm used in the telegraph, Villa would have been predicted 40 points and still survived.

QPR had amassed a total of 17 points at the half way point of the season. From the 20th to 30th match, they managed 08 points. In their last 8 matches, they managed 12 points and stayed up with a total of 37 points. Using the algorithm used in the telegraph, QPR would have been predicted 30 points and have been relegated.

Bolton had amassed a total of 13 points at the half way point of the season. From the 20th to 30th match, they managed 16 points. In their last 8 matches, they managed only 7 points and were relegated with a total of 36 points. Using the algorithm used in the telegraph, Bolton would have been predicted 40 points and have survived.

Blackburn had amassed a total of 14 points at the half way point of the season. From the 20th to 30th match, they managed 14 points. In their last 8 matches, they managed only 3 points and were relegated with a total of 31 points. Using the algorithm used in the telegraph, Blackburn would have been predicted 38 points and be relegated.

Wolves had amassed a total of 17 points at the half way point of the season. From the 20th to 30th match, they managed 5 points. In their last 8 matches, they collected only 3 points and were relegated with a total of 25 Points. Using the algorithm used in the telegraph, Wolves would have been predicted 25 points and be relegated.

What this points out is that firstly, what the telegraph says is nonsense. Secondly, anything can happen, remember we lost to our relegation rivals bolton in this time period as well and still stayed up ahead of them.
        "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

My point is that we never looked like beating those teams we played in those last 8 games. We looked truly down and out. We were second from bottom with 25 points, the nearest teams to us being on 28 (blackburn) and 29 (bolton) while wolves were on 22, 3 behind us (sounding familiar?) We had to play against arsenal, chelsea, spurs, swansea, stoke, man city, west brom and Man utd. Who thought we would get 12 points from that? especially when we only managed one win in 8 before that?

This is why I still have faith that we can do it. I'm not suggesting it isn't unlikely because it is. But we have the history, we have the right collection of matches and we have more talent then we did that season. So why can't we stay up?
          "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
            My point is that we never looked like beating those teams we played in those last 8 games. We looked truly down and out. We were second from bottom with 25 points, the nearest teams to us being on 28 (blackburn) and 29 (bolton) while wolves were on 22, 3 behind us (sounding familiar?) We had to play against arsenal, chelsea, spurs, swansea, stoke, man city, west brom and Man utd. Who thought we would get 12 points from that? especially when we only managed one win in 8 before that?

This is why I still have faith that we can do it. I'm not suggesting it isn't unlikely because it is. But we have the history, we have the right collection of matches and we have more talent then we did that season. So why can't we stay up?
            Because we have Terry Connor mark II in charge.

Comment

Originally posted by stanistheman View Post
              Because we have Terry Connor mark II in charge.
              Except for the fact that we are closer matching to ourselves back then. Look at everything in perspective without trying to see it from one side only, just because it is easier to be upset now and potentially ecstatic later, doesn't mean that is how we should feel. We aren't wolves, we aren't in any way like them. Look again, 3 points ahead of the team behind us, 2 teams 3 and 4 points ahead of us.

Also, Terry connor's team only scored in 3 of their last 12 matches (or last 6 home, last 6 away); we have scored in 9 of our last 12. So either that is a racially charged opinion (though not necessarily I hope) or you are forgetting how things went back then.

Comment

Working...
              X