DOF needs to be scrapped if QPR is to progress as club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DOF needs to be scrapped if QPR is to progress as club

DOF doesn't work here, it only creates unnecessary tension (and conflict) between manager and the DOF resulting in poor signings leading to regression instead of progression.

Let's have a look at how well DOF post has worked in the PL

1. City has regressed as a club since they appointed their first DOF in 2013. The expensive signings made by him in Navas, Negredo, Fernandinho, Mangala, Jovetic etc. have failed and they all pale in comparison with the likes of Aguero, Silva, Yaya etc. - all signed by the then manager not DOF.

2. Spurs wasted Bale's 100m on players singed by the DOF none of whom were wanted by the then manager AVB. Compare that to Harry's tenure when they had no DOF, players like Modric, Berbatov, Van der Vaart etc. were bought by the manager.

3. Sunderland has been flirting with the drop 3 seasons in a row since they appointed their first DOF. They bought 27 new players in that time period and most of them left the club already! And not only that, after last season they got a new DOF but it still remains the same.

4. West Brom has been struggling since Roy Hodgson left who worked with their 1st DOF and it worked well for them. But since then it's all gone downhill and the first thing Pulis wanted was full control over the transfer which he got.

5. Finally here at QPR, Harry was told he could only sign players if he could recoup some money by selling players. Which is why he sold Mutch and he had 2 players all but signed only to be denied at the last minute. Harry also didn't want Zarate after Big Sam warned him about Zarate's fitness issues but the club rammed Zarate down his throat. This has worked wonders, hasn't it?

Instead of DOF, spend the money on building and developing a good scouting network like Southampton. The better the scouting network the better the recruitment will be, there is no need for posts like DOF.
    Last edited by Sky's ruined PL; 16-03-2015, 06:37 PM.

Yeah, except that Southampton have a Director of Football that is involved with Koeman, their chief scout and one other in signing players.

Comment

Our DOF got bumped up from a striker coach What a promotion that was! Been on a few courses apparently but we know the real reason is that TF thought giving a rangers legend the DOF job would placate the fans and make him look good.

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherds Mush View Post
        Yeah, except that Southampton have a Director of Football that is involved with Koeman, their chief scout and one other in signing players.
        Except unlike City/Spurs/Sunderland/WBA/QPR, the role of DOF at Southampton is slightly different. Southampton's DOF comes from a background in Ice Hockey, so he doesn't have much knowledge in football. So the role he plays is kind of what owners do at other clubs. As Southampton's owner is a woman, DOF does what she was supposed to do. The players signed by Southampton validate this,

1. Lovren, Osvaldo were Pochettiono's signings not DOF's

2. Alderweireld (played under Koeman at Ajax), Pelle (played under Koeman at PSV), Tadic (brought from Dutch league by Keoman) Mane (played against PSV in the Europa), Elia (Dutch) etc. are Koeman's signings.

3. The signings that weren't Koeman's are Foster and Bertrand.
        Last edited by Sky's ruined PL; 16-03-2015, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by vblockranger View Post
          Our DOF got bumped up from a striker coach What a promotion that was! Been on a few courses apparently but we know the real reason is that TF thought giving a rangers legend the DOF job would placate the fans and make him look good.
          Totally agree with this part.

Comment

In regards to No. 2, Redknapp didnt sign Modric and Berbatov. They were signed while damien comolli was sporting director. He did sign Van der vaart though.

Also in regards to No. 5, who were the 2 players Harry had all but signed in January?
            Last edited by Hove Ranger; 16-03-2015, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hove Ranger View Post
              In regards to No. 2...... Redknapp didnt sign Modric and Berbatov. They were signed while damien comolli was sporting director. He did sign Van der vaart though
              I didn't check it but you could be right. And if my memory doesn't betray Comolli was a disaster at Liverpool too.

My point is though, it doesn't work when players are rammed down mangers throat. A manager should have the final say on what players and which players he signs, not the other way around. Giving a bunch of players that the manager never wanted and expected him to perform miracles will never work. That doesn't mean to give the manager an open chequebook like TF did the least time around with Hughes. There needs to be a balance and if DOFis there to ensure that I am okay with it. But DOF shouldn't decide which player to be brought at the club, it has to be the manager and obviously within the budget.

Also in regards to No. 5, who were the 2 players Harry had all but signed in January?
              Both players were from French league. One is believed to be Andre Ayew whose contract at Marseille expires in the summer and hence he was available at a very low fee.
              Last edited by Sky's ruined PL; 16-03-2015, 06:20 PM.

Comment

In regards to No. 2, Redknapp didnt sign Modric and Berbatov. They were signed while damien comolli was sporting director. He did sign Van der vaart though.

Is that a fact yeah.
                How would you even know that hove mate?

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Mcleod View Post
                  Is that a fact yeah.
                  How would you even know that hove mate?
                  Because he wasnt even manager when they signed for Spurs. Thats probably the most obvious reason

Comment

Originally posted by Sky's ruined PL View Post
                    Except unlike City/Spurs/Sunderland/WBA/QPR, the role of DOF at Southampton is slightly different. Southampton's DOF comes from a background in Ice Hockey, so he doesn't have much knowledge in football. So the role he plays is kind of what owners do at other clubs. As Southampton's owner is a woman, DOF does what she was supposed to do. The players signed by Southampton validate this,

1. Lovren, Osvaldo were Pochettiono's signings not DOF's

2. Alderweireld (played under Koeman at Ajax), Pelle (played under Koeman at PSV), Tadic (brought from Dutch league by Keoman) Mane (played against PSV in the Europa), Elia (Dutch) etc. are Koeman's signings.

3. The signings that weren't Koeman's are Foster and Bertrand.
                    The Director of Football at Southampton, or to give him his correct title - the Executive Director of Football is Les Reed who used to manage Charlton. Nothing to do with Ice Hockey.

Comment

@ Hove - No i meant how do you know it was there dof and not ramos?

Comment

Tbh i don't know. I was only correcting what the OP had wrote, that they were signed by Harry while Spurs had no DOF.

Comment

Tbh i don't know. I was only correcting what the OP had wrote, that they were signed by Harry while Spurs had no DOF.
                          Fair enough, i dont like dof's to be honest. Prefer the good old fashioned set up.

Comment

Didn't Martin Jol sign Berbatov !!?

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherds Mush View Post
                              The Director of Football at Southampton, or to give him his correct title - the Executive Director of Football is Les Reed who used to manage Charlton. Nothing to do with Ice Hockey.
                              I was referring to Ralph Krueger. Les Reed, on the other hand is head of scout I believe. And I also gave the names signed by the manger and those signed by the club.

Comment

Working...
                              X