Where it went all wrong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where it went all wrong

No real planing at the start of the season.

1. It's impossible to play in the PL without any decent winger. Harry didn't fancy SWP, Hoilett (not that they're any good) and Phillips. So why didn't he try to sign any winger, even on loan? There is no left footed winger (or attacking player for that matter) in the current team. So why didn't he go for Salah (or Atsu)? Surely, Salah would have preferred to play week in week out than rotting on the bench! Right footed wingers like Jarvis (not a world beater but good enough to play in the PL), Sinclair, Moses etc. were all also available.

2. It's very clear that 10 or more new players would be needed. And QPR with the finances can't afford to buy (10 or more) players that too making expensive signings like Caulker (8.5m), Fer (8m), Sandro (6.5m), Mutch (6m), McCarthy (5.5m) etc. So the other options were looking on loan market and blooding some youngsters from academy. Why didn't Harry take the likes of Furlong, Doughty, Cox during the per-season and then give them some game time here and there? Surely they would have been more prepared now had he done so.

3. Every man and his dog knew Remy won't be here. So why didn't he look for Remy's replacement in advance? What's the point of spending 6m on a back-up goalkeeper when the other positions were crying out for strengthening? As for back-up goal keeper, the likes of Schwarzer, pantilimon were available for free or relatively low price. Surely a back-up goal keeper can't be the priority when the team has only one goal scoring striker!

4. The net transfer this season was roughly 13m. Did the board show enough ambition bearing in mind how thin the squad was at the start of the season? I know the club is still paying huge sum on some leeches (SWP, Hoilett, Adel who never seems to be fit but I bet he's no problem collecting a fat cheque every week), but surely the board knew this team needs enough bodies if they are to survive in the PL. Spent loads of money last time but did a complete u-turn this time! Not a shrewd policy, it should have been in between.
    Last edited by Sky's ruined PL; 08-03-2015, 12:48 AM.

Top post but be careful you dont upset some peoples sensitivities and get accused of trolling. Where it all went wrong?I would add the board didnt sack Harry early enough and it has cost us.

Comment

I would add shouldn't of taken the turd on in the first place

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
        Good point :-)

Comment

I would bet my house thst we did not pay 5.5 million for mcCarthy

Comment

Where do you begin?

Comment

Originally posted by vblockranger View Post
              Top post but be careful you dont upset some peoples sensitivities and get accused of trolling. Where it all went wrong?I would add the board didn't sack Harry early enough and it has cost us.
              I agree on Harry point. But my gripe is, if he was to be given the boot through the backdoor (they promised him he can only buy new players if he can sell someone and hence Mutch was sold but then the board changed their stance from what I've heard), why it wasn't done when Pulis was available? There is no one better than Pulis to keep a club in the PL because he knows how to keep a clean-sheet which at least ensures a point and if we could have turned one-third of our losses to draws, we would probably be close to safety now. For QPR, surviving in the PL should have been the priority if it wants to grow as a club. And Pulis didn't spend a lot at WB.

Originally posted by Bill View Post
              Well, the thing is we all thought Harry with his experience would be the best bet to keep the club in the PL. But when it's clear that he isn't up to the task anymore, the board should have acted instead of giving him false vote of confidence and then stabbing in the back! Harry should have been sacked after Christmas and new manager should have been appointed with a view that he can add a few bodies that he feels needed.

Originally posted by kron-1664 View Post
              I would bet my house thst we did not pay 5.5 million for mcCarthy
              Taken from Transferleague, normally their figures are correct. But my point was whether buying a back-up goal keeper should have been prioritized over getting a new goal scorer. Even if he cost 1m, that money should have been used towards a new striker.

Originally posted by Wolfy View Post
              Where do you begin?
              Firstly, I would blame board for their myopic view. They wasted a lot of money last time so what did they do this time? Don't spend even if it's blindingly obvious that the squad needed strengthening. Also they didn't sack Harry because they thought it'd damage their image but behind his back they did everything so that he's no option but to leave! Why? Just sack him, QPR's survival is more important than anything else.

And then I blame Harry. The man has so much experience as a PL manager and should have known what's needed and what's not. Looking at his transfer dealings, it doesn't look like he had any plan. If you don't fancy any of the winger at your disposal then why didn't you try to get one, even on loan? Isla is a right wing back and when his 352 wasn't working he should have brought a proper right back, he didn't do it either. And then his only tactics was lumping it to Bobby. Never tried something different, never give a chance to the players he didn't fancy although it's clear they won't be moving out.

My answer, if that's what you meant.
              Last edited by Sky's ruined PL; 08-03-2015, 01:28 AM.

Comment

honestly?

look, we are (and always have been) a small club. the board, rightly or wrongly, have invested in the playing staff far more than anyone could reasonably expect. a serious comparison of our squad's capabilities against what burnley or leicester had at the start of the season would show that we had way more potential... it just feels like we have wasted this.

what went wrong? i am still totally baffled at what the seemingly innumerable coaches were up to before red chap's knees finally called it a day. our youth players supposedly weren't any good, our senior players weren't fit (apparently), our defence wasn't organised, no one seemed to improve after signing for us... we allegedly planned for 3-5-2 and when that didn't work after 2 games, we had no plan b.

season's not finished. we still have a decent chance of staying up.

Comment

Originally posted by Sky's ruined PL View Post
                  There is no one better than Pulis to keep a club in the PL because he knows how to keep a clean-sheet which at least ensures a point and if we could have turned one-third of our losses to draws, we would probably be close to safety now.
                  hasnt kept 2 in a row against a villa side who were setting records for consecutive minutes and games without scoring. just saying

fwiw, i think you generally are making the right points around lack of squad. today where it all went wrong is that we had no one helping bobby and charlie on the break or attack. not a lot of running in midfield to help our attack. fer would normally help in this dept but such is life. hoilett aint 2 footed so eventually his attacks all brokedown. i hope that this all changes when we play opposition nearer us in the table
                  Rangers Til I Die
                  follow me at twitter.com/arthurqpr

Comment

Working...
                  X