Off-side rule...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off-side rule...

Luis figo is going for slob blatters job and would like to introduce the old off-side rule where anyone who is beyond the defence when the ball is played regardless of interfering with play is off. what do people think?
    PRIDE OF LONDON.

Think it's a terrible idea. It needs to be a mixture of the newer rule and the old - but refs unfortunately have no common sense!

Comment

I think the current rule is MUCH too difficult to be called accurately by the linesman. He is supposed to tell whether a player is in an offside position AND tell whether he is interfering with play - all from typically 30 yards away, often more. Also, the way the rule currently seems to be applied, "touched the ball" seems to have been substituted for "interfering with play". If you are in front of the goalkeeper when somebody shoots, you are interfering with play regardless of whether you touch the ball!
      'Only a Ranger!' cried Gandalf. 'My dear Frodo, that is just what the Rangers are: the last remnant in the South of the great people, the Men of West London.' - Lord of the Rings, Book II, Chapter I - Many Meetings.

Comment

Originally posted by kenthoop View Post
        Think it's a terrible idea. It needs to be a mixture of the newer rule and the old - but refs unfortunately have no common sense!
        This.

Sometimes a player is in an offside position, a long ball is played, he knows he's offside so makes no attempt to go for it. However, the defender, unsure if the lino will flag, hoofs the ball first time in the air to get rid. Team loses possession and are on the back foot: all because of an initial grey area of the rule.

To combat this I think: for all times a player is offside, regardless of player interfering with play, the lino flags. This alerts all players that there is potential of offside. It is, however, up to the ref to blow up should he think it was interfering with play.

Comment

Crzay, there are issues with the off-side rule but if a player bangs one in from 30 yards and it's ruled offside because someone out on the wing was running back it's just idiotic.

The bigger issue is ruling what is handball.

Comment

Originally posted by QPR_NW10 View Post
            This.

Sometimes a player is in an offside position, a long ball is played, he knows he's offside so makes no attempt to go for it. However, the defender, unsure if the lino will flag, hoofs the ball first time in the air to get rid. Team loses possession and are on the back foot: all because of an initial grey area of the rule.

To combat this I think: for all times a player is offside, regardless of player interfering with play, the lino flags. This alerts all players that there is potential of offside. It is, however, up to the ref to blow up should he think it was interfering with play.
            This, and let the Ref have the final say as to whether the player on the other wing or lying down injured is interfering with play. But the old rule was at least a lot clearer and easier to see and understand than the current interfering and 1st and 2and phase nonsense.

Comment

If the ref see's the offside then he will give it anyway, if the lines man puts his flag up to alert the ref it will take his vision away from where the ball is and he will start looking around the pitch and not be watching the game. Not ideal for him to take his eyes of the main action I don't think.

Comment

They changed the rule cos the games about goals and too many were getting disallowed. Why on earth change it back again. The new rules fine. In fact i wonder what todays game would be like with no offside rule?

Comment

Working...
                X