Director of football - your thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Director of football - your thoughts

Les's title is now Director of football with the 'operations' tag dropped. I support the idea of DOF as a better way forward for football clubs. It sure saves on rotating managers bringing in the 'wrong' players that the next one doesn't want to work with and wasting club money. Not everyone's cup of tea tho.

Director of football at Man C, Txiki Begiristain, explained their club's philosophy during a documentary. 'Identify the playing style you want. Identify the players to fit the style. Identify the manager to run it.' One man, one vision only.
    Last edited by Olly; 06-02-2015, 12:14 PM.

Good way to do it or not all depends on the people you have in key positions. Same as every other business.

Comment

I'm not 100% sure of DOF, I've always believed the manager knows the players he needs.

Could someone explain this better to me please, I'm not saying it's wrong I think maybe don't get it?

Comment

I picked up on something the other day actually... about 3 days before HR 'resigned', Tony posted a picture with Les on Twitter saying... 'talking about added responsibility with Les'. To me now, that's a massive giveaway that HR leaving 1) wasn't a resignation and 2) that Les taking on full control of the club when TF isn't there, has been in the pipeline for quite sometime and im guessing HR knew this.

Comment

MYU, the DOF is a permanent manager and buys the players. The head coach e.g. Ramsay/Sherwood is responsible for playing the formation and tactics the DOF wants. If the head coach leaves, all the players stay. The incoming head coach plays the ongoing formation and tactics. There is team consistency and stability amongst players. No mass ins and outs. No gelling in needed.

My take on Man C is overlapping fullbacks, two versatile CM's who share attack/defence, one fast winger (Navas), dribbling wingers (Nasri, Silva, Milner) and a mix of forwards, dribbling (Silva, Aguerro)/strength and height (Dzeco, Jovetic, Bony,) to suit the match.

Comment

Working...
          X