I don't want a manager with passion or is young

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't want a manager with passion or is young

I don't understand this trend to want a manager who is passionate and young.

If that's the case go to the family stand and pick anyone out to be the new manager. Why would someone who is young and have no experience have a clue how to get us out of a relegation scrap. If you had a choice now would you take Pulis or Pardew or go down the Ray Wilkins route with Les or Tim like we have tried before.

Even if Clement was tempted look at how many times it has failed with coach's becoming managers, at a guess probably a 70-80% failure rate.

I have passion and can shout at the players but it doesn't make me a good manager.

While I am on a rant I agree our academy has not been good at bringing anyone through but to get any results from that is going to take at least 5-10 years, if all we do is fix that we will be in the 2nd division and there is no guarantee we will bring anyone through. Do you not think every club in the country wants the best young players, Southampton is a large exception but if you look through the top division how many teams starting 11 have players they have bought through from the youth setup.

I would have rather stayed with Redknapp that put Les, Sherwood or Clement in charge of the team.

Originally posted by Garyd73 View Post

If that's the case go to the family stand and pick anyone out to be the new manager. Why would someone who is young and have no experience have a clue how to get us out of a relegation scrap. If you had a choice now would you take Pulis or Pardew or go down the Ray Wilkins route with Les or Tim like we have tried before.

Even if Clement was tempted look at how many times it has failed with coach's becoming managers, at a guess probably a 70-80% failure rate.

I have passion and can shout at the players but it doesn't make me a good manager.

While I am on a rant I agree our academy has not been good at bringing anyone through but to get any results from that is going to take at least 5-10 years, if all we do is fix that we will be in the 2nd division and there is no guarantee we will bring anyone through. Do you not think every club in the country wants the best young players, Southampton is a large exception but if you look through the top division how many teams starting 11 have players they have bought through from the youth setup.

I would have rather stayed with Redknapp that put Les, Sherwood or Clement in charge of the team.
    Although you make some decent points, that last comment loses you any credibility. Redknapp was clearly clueless and set in his Jurassic ways to the point of not seeing the wood for the trees, ie, what was blatently obvious that certain things werent working. Yet next game he'd dish up the same team with the same players out of position etc and not address any key failings. He had to go and i would've taken anyone ahead of him going forward.

Comment

Disagree completely.

The modern game is very different to the game in the 70's and 80's when Harry started managing. The players are richer and more famous, the fitness side of football is totally different, the equipment for both training and match days have changed massively, coaching techniques have come on massively etc.

The problem with a lot of managers from Harry's era is they are stuck in the dark ages. They still think it's about picking 11 blokes, wishing them good luck and hoping for the best. Harry must have said it 100 times in press conferences "it's all about the players". Well that's wrong, of course having the best players helps but that is just one of a number of ingredients required to make a club successful.

I want a forward thinking manager, not fussed if they are 30 or 65. What I don't want is another dinosaur!
      Last edited by Tarbie; 05-02-2015, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Really? Forget about modern training, fitness, diets etc... Let's stick to a pie for lunch, a pint for dinner and a fag for breakfast as the did in the 60s and 70s?

Look at Ronaldo.. Without modern training methods he wouldn't be half the player he is today... All that goes hand in hand with a modern approach to management.. And making the most out of the players you have... Pullis will probably save WBA but long term i can almost guarantee he won't be there.. I think it's refreshing that the club have realised this appointment could be a watershed moment (one that I hope they get right)

As I said to ted yesterday - who would you want that is available?

Comment

2 of the best managers about at the moment are young and passionate gary monk and eddie howe
          maybe sherwood if he is appointed can go on and do something similar

Comment

Originally posted by Del View Post
            Although you make some decent points, that last comment loses you any credibility. Redknapp was clearly clueless and set in his Jurassic ways to the point of not seeing the wood for the trees, ie, what was blatently obvious that certain things werent working. Yet next game he'd dish up the same team with the same players out of position etc and not address any key failings. He had to go and i would've taken anyone ahead of him going forward.
            That's what makes this world beautiful, different strokes... Stick with Harry, come on you Chelsea fan, stop messing about! The only point you made that makes sense if the one pertaining to the age of the candidate is irrelevant, it's what they bring to the table!

I think tiger Tim is a youth team coach, he is more suited to impressionable youngsters, he can mould them with good core values.
            Kept the faith!

Comment

I thought it was time for Harry to go, just the three names mentioned I can't see as an obvious improvement for the remainder of this season.

How do you measure if a manager is "passionate", it's this that I find a crazy phrase. Anyone can stand on the side of the pitch and shout at the players or rant and rave in press conferences but neither necessarily has any benefit to the team.

How many teams have young managers in the PL, maybe 5 out of 20 and none of the top teams. There is a reason for this, those with more knowledge and experience are better generally.

I think because Harry didn't work out the only answer must be the complete opposite of how he was perceived, this is clearly wrong.

Comment

OP is deluded and living in the past...

The games moved on. There are new tactics, new formations and new ways of dealing with the modern footballer.
                Young head coaches are fresh from doing their badges and know the modern game.

Its the way forward and its about sticking with a young manager for the long-term.. Getting them to shape the club for the future. Like Wenger and Ferguson did.
                The only reason there's more older manager in the Prem is because there's more of them around.. Nothing to do with knowledge and experience. Its also to do with the players they have at their exposal

Comment

Bob and Marcia once said............
                  I blew a lot on vodka and tonic, gambling and fags. Looking back, I think I overdid it on the tonic. - The one and only Stanley Bowles

Comment

A manager with only youth and passion, while lacking in experience, knowledge and coaching abilities, would indeed be terrible and certainly worse than Harry Redknapp.

However, we need to be realistic about HR's form while he was with us. HR cited his severe knee pain as his reason for resignation, and while it probably wasn't the only reason, I believe that it was a significant part of it.

It's hard to stay focused, passionate and motivated when you are in constant, severe pain. A man in constant, severe pain is constantly distracted from everything else, so HR was not able to stay focused on the team, players and tactics all the time. As HR stated, we need a manager who can give 100% to the job right now, to avoid relegation, and HR simply cannot do that due to his pain. We probably had half of the mental attention that Harry would have been able to give to his team 5 years ago, due to his current physical condition (a result of age and perhaps prior injury).

HR's knee pain also prevented him from being as hands-on as he would have liked to be, and that was also evident over the years. We probably had only 10% - 20% of HR's abilities on that front due to his physical condition.

Young and passionate is in stark contrast to the above, and obviously it is part of what we need in a manager. We may not need someone very young nor very passionate, but we do need someone who is young enough that his age does not impair him physically or mentally. We do need someone who is passionate enough to be fully focused on what our team needs to avoid relegation. We also need someone who is moderately experienced and tactically adept, and able to motivate and control the players.

Is Tim Sherwood that kind of manager? It sounds like he might score a 7 out of 10, and perhaps we can do better than that, but I think it is quite clear that Sherwood can do a better job than HR currently was able to. HR of 5 years ago may have been better than Sherwood, but you can't be serious that an impaired Harry is better than a fully functional Sherwood. I think HR in his prime could be rated 8 out of 10, but while he was with us he was clearly impaired and thus only a 5 or 6 at best.

Comment

Passion and youth are not the only two qualifications we are looking for! A passing familiarity with the sport of football would also be a requisite!
                      'Only a Ranger!' cried Gandalf. 'My dear Frodo, that is just what the Rangers are: the last remnant in the South of the great people, the Men of West London.' - Lord of the Rings, Book II, Chapter I - Many Meetings.

Comment

Working...
                      X