Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Les Ferdinand is QPR’s new director of football

QPR Media release Wednesday 4th February 2015

Ferdinand handed new role at Loftus Road with mandate of building for the future in W12

TONY Fernandes has confirmed Les Ferdinand has been handed a new role as Director of Football at QPR.

R’s legend Ferdinand, who re-joined the club in October in the position of Head of Football Operations, will now be responsible for overseeing the entire footballing department at Loftus Road, with a mandate of building for the future.

The 48-year-old has already made significant improvements to the footballing philosophy of the club since his return – and the Board are now keen for him to have more of a hands-on role at all levels, particularly in the field of recruitment, working closely with the First Team.

Fernandes told www.qpr.co.uk: “I’ve been really impressed with the job Les has done in his short time here and as such I am keen for his role to evolve, with the clear mandate of assisting us in developing and evolving the footballing department, from the Academy to the First Team.

“This is a new strategy for us. Our recruitment policy at QPR is changing. The recent addition of Ryan Manning to the Elite Development Squad is a sign of what we will be trying to do here.

“We want to develop a philosophy of buying young, hungry players, who can go on to forge decent careers with us.”

He added: “I’ve had many messages from supporters, of all ages, who aren’t – for one reason or another – satisfied with what’s going on at QPR at the moment, but I can reassure all Rangers fans that we are putting the building blocks in place to move things in the right direction for the future.

“We’ve made a number of mistakes in the transfer market over the last few years and it’s something we want to change. We don’t want to be a buying club – we want to nurture young talent and build a young, ambitious team.

“Premier League survival is our priority in the short term, but in the medium and long term we want to make sure everything is in place, from the Academy upwards, to create a culture and philosophy within the club that QPR fans can be proud of.

“Les bleeds blue and white and working closely with the First Team and Academy management, particularly in recruitment, he is going to play a key role in moving us forward over the coming months and years.”

Ferdinand, of course, flourished for QPR following a move from Hayes in 1987, and the former England front-man, after completing his Governance Course a St George’s Park – backed by the PFA and FA – recently, is relishing his latest challenge.

“Everyone knows what this club means to me and if anything the last few months have only enhanced the feelings I have for QPR,” he said.

“Working closely with Tony and the Board, I can assure QPR fans that they are desperate to create a lasting legacy at Loftus Road and the role of Director of Football will be hugely important in terms of where we want to take this club in the future.

“Some of the management courses I’ve taken over the last few years were with a role like this in mind, so I couldn’t be more delighted.”

So not a number two, to Sherwood then if he comes in? Or would he combine roles?

Comment

Don't like the sounds of that would rather he was acting manager until the end of the season

Comment

I thought he was a Spurs fan, am I wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by 12321 View Post
          Who cares, I think this a great role for him, we need fire in the hot seat and I suspect he isn't the type. I would give it ti Sherwood until the end of the season.
          Kept the faith!

Comment

Originally posted by 12321 View Post
            He is and your not!
            My old man was the star player for HMP Parkhurst during their successful and unbeaten 77/78 season.

Comment

He's a clever bloke is our Les - and he will defiantly have the clubs interests at heart...... Not on how much he can line his pockets - and continue playground feuds.

It's got to be worth a shot - because it was very clear that the club and team were stagnating under the previous set-up.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy Rabbit View Post
                So not a number two, to Sherwood then if he comes in? Or would he combine roles?
                I would imagine Chris Ramsey would be the number two
                "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Originally posted by WCE View Post
                  He is and your not!
                  Honestly I love Sir Les, but we could do without this PR twaddle about bleeding blue and white (I know, TF's words not his)and how much this job means to him etc.
                  if there was one thing I would like to wind the clock back on it would be the day the club began issuing empty corporate announcements full of fatuous empty meaningless cliches. Apart from that I'm good.

Comment

It's a great move by the club and another indication sherwood is imminent. They get on very well and share the sa,e philosophy.

Even if releagated this is the first sign tf is starting to get it. Personally I think we got a great chance of staying up now.

Comment

Mind you Les could always bring in his old school mucker Mr Wise and his new iffy hair style.
                      My old man was the star player for HMP Parkhurst during their successful and unbeaten 77/78 season.

Comment

Potentially great move for the long term stability of the club. Think Les on the face of it ideal for the role.

They just need to find managers who will work with it as it hints at Les being in charge of all recruitment including first team. Works with clubs abroad and provided they all play nicely with each other is a good way to run the footballing side of thing.

The club needs direction to gradually pull us out of the cultural mire and re-establish relations with fans as over the years the connection seems to have been lost. Not going to be an overnight thing.

Comment

Think Tim will work alongside Kevin Bond and Chris Ramsay

Comment

I don't understand this are you telling me that Les will bring in players the manager don't want, like the Zarate deal?

I can see him bringing in a player that we and the manager don't want, then what, turn on him?

Let the manager select the players.

Comment

If the manager and director of football work closely together no reason it shouldn't work.

Comment

Working...
                              X