Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sounds Familiar

Despite A Lukewarm Debut, There’s More To Come From Mutch

Many have already voiced their concern over the debut of former QPR and Cardiff midfielder Jordon Mutch, after he was introduced unexpectedly into yesterday’s defeat at home to Everton, but having spent most of the current campaign on the sidelines, it’s hardly surprising that he struggled to hit the ground running.

Never having been the most combative of players, Mutch’s game thrives on technical ability, the opportunity to pick a pass; potentially unlock a defence or finish off an attacking move, all of which proved extremely difficult for the entire team yesterday afternoon, with Roberto Martinez’s players desperately clinging onto an early lead in the hope of grinding out a much needed win, often at the expense of any level of fluidity to the play.

Speaking to the club’s official site after his first taste of life in a red and blue shirt, Mutch gave a genuinely honest assessment of the game, on a day when frustration often got the better of us all.

It was disappointing to go a goal behind so early, we created a lot of chances in the first-half to try and get back into the game and unfortunately it didn’t happen and we have to kick on again next week.

“We put them under a lot of pressure but when they went 1-0 up they kept a good shape and it was unfortunate we couldn’t get back in it. I always thought we could get a goal or two but unfortunately it didn’t happen.

“We were on the front foot for most of the games so it was unlucky that we didn’t get a result from it.”

“It was a nasty one with Chamakh and I hope he’s OK but it was great to get on the pitch early and make my debut. He [Alan Pardew] just told me to go out there and express myself, it’s a new start so to also enjoy myself and play with a lot of energy.

“The atmosphere here was awesome and I can’t wait to play here again and I look forward to the upcoming games. I know a lot of players here already so I think I’ll fit straight in and play a lot for the rest of the season.

“I haven’t played a lot lately and I need to play a few games to get back up there but I’m sure that will happen quickly.”

Without any real level of match fitness, it was clear that Mutch was a little behind the pace of play at times, but rather than laying the blame at the 23-year-old’s feet, our fans would almost certainly be better served by questioning why he was thrown into the game instead of others by Alan Pardew. As a gamble it didn’t pay off, but after a single day of training with his new teammates, it feels hugely unfair to highlight Mutch as the main reason for our lack of penetration in the final third.

With a week or two more to bed into the team, we should see the midfielder’s game improve markedly, as he finds his feet in a new tactical set-up under a manager who is clearly still feeling his way into life at Selhurst Park too.

Quite where Mutch will fit into the side upon Mile Jedinak’s return is still to be revealed, but there is no need to panic just yet. Good things almost always come to those who wait.
    http://hltco.org/2015/02/01/despite-...e-from-mutch/?

No shock. Get used to reading reports like that place fans,

Comment

Working...
    X