We should have stuck to the plan of buying the best from the championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We should have stuck to the plan of buying the best from the championship

I have that horrible feeling in my gut that the next week could make or break this club with massive implications.

This isn't about being negative - I fear for us if we get relegated this year and even more so that we could be moving on player like Mutch and phillips.

Even if we disagree they are prem class I think most of would be mre than happy with these two in the championship and given their age. Players like them would atleast make us competitive.

I worry we get rid of them and come next year we will have the golden oldies left again 3 new 30 plus players harry brought in on a roll of a dice to stay up - 30 mill fine to play in the championship and a squad of players who wont give a crap...

Big week in our clubs future and find it so frustrating that we don't seem to be doing anything to give us the chance to stay up and build for the future. I almost feel we are about to implode and the only ones we can blame our ourselves.

Did we ever have a plan of buying young lower league players think back to the era of Briatori and the dwarf players like Hooper Rhodes Austin just to name 3 were available at low prices for cubs to take a chance on but they never invested in a scouting network or were awilling to invest in good a foundation at a time when there did seem a good crop of lower league players to have a go at

Comment

players like dwight gayle and naki wells would have been good additions

Comment

Originally posted by march56 View Post
        Yep there there you go therewas quite a few back then that other clubs bought at low feesand made a profit on
        the 4 year plan had no plan just luck
        Last edited by dogsrrs; 27-01-2015, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Austin & McCarthy were two of the best players in the Championship. Phillips looked really good at Blackpool and many (including myself) thought he was a really good signing at the time, just hasnt worked out, you dont become a bad player over night though and i think we should stick wit him. Yun was a good signing, Vargas was a good signing. I would rather have any of them then Dwight Gayle or Nahki Wells!

Problem is not the players, we have good players. Problem is Harry and his coaching team who dont seem to have any clue and are not getting the best out of the players that we've got.

Comment

problem is we could lose phillips and mutch in this window. Austin would more than likely go if we are relegated. I doubt we would keep isla and vargas. Would dunne last another year in the championship. I reckon there would be interest in Ned.

We will be decimated imo left with a load of over 30's and crocks and a huge FFP fine meaning we prob wont have the money to go out and rebuild. Its why I feel we need to be evaluating all outcomes now and keeping hold of players who next year could be valuable assets rather than come the summer and IF the worst has happened be sc###### around or signing players half their quality.

Comment

Originally posted by maidstone_hoop View Post
              problem is we could lose phillips and mutch in this window. Austin would more than likely go if we are relegated. I doubt we would keep isla and vargas. Would dunne last another year in the championship. I reckon there would be interest in Ned.

We will be decimated imo left with a load of over 30's and crocks and a huge FFP fine meaning we prob wont have the money to go out and rebuild. Its why I feel we need to be evaluating all outcomes now and keeping hold of players who next year could be valuable assets rather than come the summer and IF the worst has happened be sc###### around or signing players half their quality.
              Look at wigan and reading..both could be considered equivalent types of clubs as us..both lost most of their names and both now struggling to rebuild in the championship. that why its imperative we stay up as we could probably go the same way as them..but if that means playing the youth which is what a lot of people want on here then so be it!

Comment

Damned if we do, damned if we don't. When we went into major decline in the mid/ late 90s the board had one last shot at getting us promoted back to the promised land but when that failed our manager of the time remarked that "this club has shot its financial bolt." And whilst its nothing like that bad now, it does seem the board has spent most of what it intends to (either because it is fed up throwing tens of millions at a failed enterprise or due to fair play fears). As such if we want to at least try to stay up it might mean raising some money from somewhere. As acton pointed out in another thread that means selling players someone else actually wants to buy, so cd mean the likes of Phillips and Mutch. Trying to offload the rios and swps is a pipe dream.

I get what you are saying entirely about not preparing us for the Championship but there is no very satisfactory solution now open to us. Fire sales, panic buys, its what happens at a club with no very clear strategy.

Comment

Originally posted by march56 View Post
                  12 goals in 1 and a half seasons for Palace, and 8 in 24 in the Championship. I'm good, thanks.

Comment

I really dot know how some poster read things , players such as Rhodes Hooper Gayle and wells all could have been bought for next to zilch at one time those and many more could have created a solid foundation to move on from yes we do now have better players than some of those mentioned but we have had to pay a lot more in transfer fee's and wages for them , we have had no transfer policy to buy cheap lower league players nurture them use them and sell them on from the day of Chis Wright when he did away with the then reserve side , the blame doesn,t lie with HR or any of the present day staff it lies with C Wright followed by the Wop and Mick Muppets that couldn't or wouldn't see beyond the 1st team

Comment

Originally posted by dogsrrs View Post
                      I really dot know how some poster read things , players such as Rhodes Hooper Gayle and wells all could have been bought for next to zilch at one time those and many more could have created a solid foundation to move on from yes we do now have better players than some of those mentioned but we have had to pay a lot more in transfer fee's and wages for them , we have had no transfer policy to buy cheap lower league players nurture them use them and sell them on from the day of Chis Wright when he did away with the then reserve side , the blame doesn,t lie with HR or any of the present day staff it lies with C Wright followed by the Wop and Mick Muppets that couldn't or wouldn't see beyond the 1st team
                      We should have scouted Messi when he was 8 if we use your argument.

Comment

Give up mate what a load of tosh...your blaming our predicament on Chris Wright. 20 odde years ago or whatever it was....Actually Harry does have a lot to answer for. IMO 30 Mill on players is a huge amount of money and spent wisely it can change a whole club. He's brought some good players and he brought some tosh. What is infuriating is that he spent 9 mill on two youngish players and now doesn't play either and 10 mill on a crock which could of been spent on players from the championship with something to prove.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeems View Post
                          We should have scouted Messi when he was 8 if we use your argument.
                          I'm not going to look it up but those players I mentioned above cost fark all in their 1st move fact not sarcasm

Comment

Give up mate what a load of tosh...your blaming our predicament on Chris Wright. 20 odde years ago or whatever it was....Actually Harry does have a lot to answer for. IMO 30 Mill on players is a huge amount of money and spent wisely it can change a whole club. He's brought some good players and he brought some tosh. What is infuriating is that he spent 9 mill on two youngish players and now doesn't play either and 10 mill on a crock which could of been spent on players from the championship with something to prove.
                            Come on Maidstone our youth policy went out of the door under Wright he did away with the academy and went for a centre of excellence , of course H R has spent money cos we haven't been producing , that's what T F is trying to put right bringing in L Ferdinand and Ramsey on a last note who were the last 3 players to make ant sort of a step from youth Dichio Nigel ??? and Langley around the time of C wright , how many since have done so

Comment

I'm not going to look it up but those players I mentioned above cost fark all in their 1st move fact not sarcasm
                              Messi, Ronaldo, Pele and Maradona were also pretty cheap when they were 6 years old. You cant pluck random players at their peak now and blame the club for not scouting them when they were young!

Comment

Working...
                              X