Project QPR and expectations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project QPR and expectations

With all the frustrations on the pitch at the moment it is easy to be downhearted. However it's not all bad.

Going back to when TF came in what he was presented with was a small Premiership club, poor quality playing squad, poor facilities. 18,000 capacity was never going to support a Premiership team. Looking at it objectively we are a Championship side. So how to make us competitive in the Premiership longer term was the ambition.

To achieve that ambition you need some upfront investment to try and keep in the Premiership. You need to get the right people in place. On the footballing side TF has appointed two very respected and experienced Premiership managers in Hughes and Redknapp and fully backed them. I think most would agree that on paper two decent appointments and maybe even punching above our weight. Didn't work. That's life. Sometimes thing don't, even if logically they should.

Off the pitch the club have been very active in trying to secure new training facilities and a site for a new ground. There have been problems with this but these things can take years. That is where our expectations are perhaps unreasonable at times. The owners appear to have a vision of how they can make the club work longer term and make into a sustainable business which would allow us to be a proper Premiership team, as opposed to one that probably really shouldn't be there.

An example I would use, being based down here, is Brighton. Years in the wilderness before they got their new ground. Club probably shouldn't even exist. Now they have their new ground and have gone from 6,000 to 24,000 week on week even in the Championship. Southampton took years to get it right, even after their new ground. Look at us. We are in West London so great location. Get a really good quality mixed use stadium and longer term both the business and football club could do very well. But is long term. Two and a half years is not long term!

A lot of people cite Southampton, quite rightly I'd add, as a blueprint. Great record in recent years in bringing players through one of their strengths, polar opposite to us. That didn't happen overnight. The club is doing all it can to improve facilities and it's youth system.

TF took Air Asia from a small company with big debts into a massively profitable and growing business. He would have gone through some of the same business processes with that as will be needed for this project. All about planning and strategy. As I say not every decision will be the right one but doesn't mean overall we aren't heading in the right direction.

I personally think all this negativity coming from some supporters about our ownership is misplaced. We are lucky having the backers we do and they are all extremely successful and experienced business people. Good traits for owning a football club. We may on paper owe a lot of money but it is mainly to them and I'm sure they know what they are doing with the club going forwards.

I am one of those who wish TF would jettison ole Bagpuss but whether he does or doesn't and whether we stay up or not if TF and Co remain with us I am confident in our long term future.

Personally still think we have a great chance of staying up. But i dont buy this bollix that we will be bang in trouble if we go down. Reckon thats just people panicking after reading a couple of articles about it. Last time we went down everyone said we were thw next Pompey, but it never happened. Im not convicned itll happen this time if we go down.
    My expectation before the season started was 17th, nothing more. A lot seem to think we should be finishing mid table but think about it, regardless of who we have signed or how much we have spent, we are a newly promoted team, and how many of those finish 12th or thereabouts in their first season back? Not many id wager.
    No, 17th is my expectation and that hasnt changed. Anything higher is a bonus. And, despite our inept management team, i think we will do it.
    Looked back at the Burnley game, and I thought for a large portion of the game we were a lot better than Burnley. But yet again schoolboy defending let us down. Plenty of positives to take imo. We wont go the whole season with no away points. We are tough to beat at home in the league. We have very tough home games coming up, but i think we will surprise a few.
    I would like Harry out now, but i really cant see that happening. So the only thing we can do, if we want to stay up, is stick by the team and be their 12th man. Booing at games and moaning about managers at games wont help anything.
    Last edited by Ginger Ninja; 12-01-2015, 11:03 AM.
    Top Scorers 2018/2019

Nakhi Wells - 8
    Pawel Wszolek - 6
    Luke Freeman - 6
    Matt Smith - 6
    Ebere Eze - 4
    Joel Lynch - 3
    Tomer Hemed - 3
    Toni Leistner - 2
    Massimo Luongo- 2
    Angel Rangel - 2
    Bright Osayi-Samuel - 2
    Geoff Cameron - 1
    Aramide Oteh - 1
    Jake Bidwell - 1
    Jordan Cousins - 1

Summer Transfers 2019

IN

OUT

Comment

Great post. I think you raise some very valid points that may have been forgotten about. I hope that you're right and that TF and co do indeed have a solid plan/strategy in place for the club. This should not however detract from the current problem which is that once again we have a team of players that aren't giving 110% for the club. The performance on Saturday was unacceptable and fans are well within their rights to air their discontent. We keep bringing in decent players to the club who become a bag of sh1te when they pull on the shirt, there is something seriously wrong about the culture of the club and until that changes no stadium, training facilities etc etc will make a difference.

Comment

Any new manager that comes in or even Harry still now. This should ideally happen at the start of the season but.. The manager should make all the players sit down and watch an hour long programme of the history of QPR.. Know the team your playing for, know the history. Have a connection with the fans.. IMO there hasn't been a proper connection with the fans since Warnock left .

Comment

If we go down we should rebuild from scratch, get rid off all the dead wood high earners ect ect, get a young manager with some balls for the job
          You Rsssssss

Comment

A good couple of posts there. It is easy to get depressed after a disastrous weekend like that especially if you spend any time on these forums. The fact is that we are still only a good result away from escaping the relegation zone again. The away form is truly shocking but we are giving everyone a game at home so it is not impossible to turn that around. It was an equally bad weekend for Hull, Sunderland and Villa as well so at least we are not alone!

Comment

Good post foxy.
              Supporting QPR isn't just about a football team. It's about roots and identity.

Comment

I get depressed ten times already this season. But as a genuine R's supporter, I keep the faith and hope for the better.

Comment

Running an airline isn't the same as a football club.

Everything is rosy though because the debt is owed to the owners..... If we retain our PL status then I think everything will work out, that's due to the huge financial gain of being in the PL. If we don't, then the #### will hit the fan!

People who think we'll be fine if we go down are very delusional. A huge loss in revenue, a huge fine, a player firesale and a squad limit embargo are just a few things that will welcome us in the Championship!

Comment

Excellent OP and first reply by Ginger. I wholeheartedly agree with both. Our long term future looks good so long as TF and Co are around and this season isn't a write-off just because we lost to Burnley! (We beat them at home, remember?) I'm sick to my back teeth of Redknapp but even with him in charge we are still very much in it.

If we go down there won't a fine or a transfer embargo. It is universally accepted that the FFP rules are illegal. Instead, there will be an application to the court for an injunction against the Football League from enforcing rules that are illegal. And it will be granted. Then the Football League will have to go through all the legal wrangling to try to get an exception made and, if they bother, we will fight it, presumably along with some other concerned clubs. A compromise seems much more likely.
                    'Only a Ranger!' cried Gandalf. 'My dear Frodo, that is just what the Rangers are: the last remnant in the South of the great people, the Men of West London.' - Lord of the Rings, Book II, Chapter I - Many Meetings.

Comment

Originally posted by dsqpr View Post
                      Excellent OP and first reply by Ginger. I wholeheartedly agree with both. Our long term future looks good so long as TF and Co are around and this season isn't a write-off just because we lost to Burnley! (We beat them at home, remember?) I'm sick to my back teeth of Redknapp but even with him in charge we are still very much in it.

If we go down there won't a fine or a transfer embargo. It is universally accepted that the FFP rules are illegal. Instead, there will be an application to the court for an injunction against the Football League from enforcing rules that are illegal. And it will be granted. Then the Football League will have to go through all the legal wrangling to try to get an exception made and, if they bother, we will fight it, presumably along with some other concerned clubs. A compromise seems much more likely.
                      What are you on about? Leeds, Forest and Blackburn have already been placed under a transfer embargo for failing FFP last season!

Comment

Originally posted by Mattyqpr View Post
                        What are you on about? Leeds, Forest and Blackburn have already been placed under a transfer embargo for failing FFP last season!
                        They have decided not to fight it - probably not worth it for them. Since we would also face a massive fine, we will fight it in the courts!
                        'Only a Ranger!' cried Gandalf. 'My dear Frodo, that is just what the Rangers are: the last remnant in the South of the great people, the Men of West London.' - Lord of the Rings, Book II, Chapter I - Many Meetings.

Comment

OP Brightons crowds at the Goldstone was always healthy ,only when they were evicted did there crowds plumet
                          Football played the Charlie Ferris way

Comment

Good post op. Im not worried about the state of the club and have still loved a lot of this season at the bush, i just want us to have a much better go at staying up than we are doing. So embarrassed of the away performances and totally ashamed of that horrible record.
                            A win on saturday will make things so much better, but i dont think anyones holding their breath on that happening are they?

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Mcleod View Post
                              Good post op. Im not worried about the state of the club and have still loved a lot of this season at the bush, i just want us to have a much better go at staying up than we are doing. So embarrassed of the away performances and totally ashamed of that horrible record.
                              A win on saturday will make things so much better, but i dont think anyones holding their breath on that happening are they?
                              Tbh mate im not holding my breath for Saturday, and that probably says a lot coming from me.......
                              SIR LESLIE FERDINAND!!

Comment

Working...
                              X