An armchair managers thoughts about our youth squad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stanistheman View Post
    Phillips has rarely had a chance this season. He played as a centre forward at Spurs, on the right in a 5 man midfield at Man Utd and a few other bit part appearances (usually in away games).

He should have been chosen to start on the RW at home to Palace (and probably a few more before that instead of Hoilett). He at least provided a few crosses for Austin to score from last season unlike Hoilett.
    He started off really well last season before hurting his leg? I believe. The only images I have of him playing this year are blown chance on goal and sub apps lol. probably unfair tbh because he hasn't played much, and he can get air under a ball unlike Junior.

Comment

Phillips looked to be a great buy in the Championship; strong, quick, direct & has a great cross & shot on him. However so far this year (albeit a limited role as stan says) he has failed to do anything at all - he seems timid & scared to even make a proper challenge. I would love him to come good & think he has all the attributes there to be a decent player, but he just isn't cutting the mustard.

I will say though, I would rather see him play than Junior these days.
      You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Comment

Phillips is ####, was never more than a Championship player and another example of this club spunking money on crap.

We do not really improve players here at QPR, so sadly I think the reason our youth aren't getting a chance is because they just ain't good enough - none are rated highly and none have done anything to demand a chance. The solution to this is improving our scouting and coaching, not throwing crappy youngsters in at the deep end./

Comment

Originally posted by stanistheman View Post
          Other clubs do, so why not give the youth players a chance?

Yes, I realise the Premiership clubs have better youth systems and players than QPR, but rather than keep trotting out the same old subs who let the club down time and time again, wouldn't it be better to throw in a Harriman, Petrasso, Sutherland Donaldson etc to see if perhaps they can do better?

Southampton do this all the time. A few other clubs do so from time to time, Spurs with Ryan Mason, Everton with Barkley, WBA with Berahino to name just 3.
          Like I said, I would like to see that happen too. But I don't think it will happen. Last year in the Championship would have been a great time to bring in a couple of the promising youngsters. Trouble is, nobody at the club seemed to be thinking beyond the short term and getting us promoted at the first time of asking.

I do think that if we stay up this year, we will likely get in a few more good young players and "retire" the oldies we have. That would significantly drop the average age of the team and provide more pace and threat. Until then though, I just can't see HR taking a gamble on the youth players. I'll be happy to be proven wrong.

Having said all that, we do seem to be more involved in building the youth setup this year with signings and links to promising youngsters. Hopefully that will bear fruit somewhere down the line.....

Comment

Originally posted by stationcafe View Post
            Phillips is ####, was never more than a Championship player and another example of this club spunking money on crap.

We do not really improve players here at QPR, so sadly I think the reason our youth aren't getting a chance is because they just ain't good enough - none are rated highly and none have done anything to demand a chance. The solution to this is improving our scouting and coaching, not throwing crappy youngsters in at the deep end./
            Are you forgetting his excellent spell in the premier league for Blackpool, was just as good as Charlie Adam that season when he started playing.
            Agree on your second point partially. The players in the youth (Bar Petrasso) aren't good enough at all.
            "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Working...
            X