No announcement yet.

Clarke Carlisle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Think I owe Kevin Mc an apology, you did state he tried to do this straight after the event.
    I blew a lot on vodka and tonic, gambling and fags. Looking back, I think I overdid it on the tonic. - The one and only Stanley Bowles

Comment

no probs herts, it was pretty obvious. Seems our clarkes a right wrong un. Just hope Tony dont give him a sympathy job as mind guru with Blackie.
      http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1skfskk.
      Clarke context and comments

First and foremost, and I should know this by now, twitter is not the place for this sort of thing, as it takes more than 140 characters to talk about anything seriously. So already I wish I hadn’t said anything, not because I regret the comment, but because the choice of forum was wrong and frankly understandable if people are riled up.

Next thing is, I don’t suddenly want to air a list of grievances that sound sensationalist and do some tabloid’s job for them. Clarke and I have history, that involves money, lies, on one notable occasion me being interrogated by the police over something I knew nothing about… and all sorts of other stuff.

Now, when it comes to mental illness, I understand it, I’ve lived around it, I’ve supported it, I fight against the stigmatization of it and so on. I think it’s a very real issue with a long road to go to combat it.

So that said, on to this case… It’s extremely difficult to watch someone repeatedly ruin other people’s lives, then explain it in such a way that makes them immune to criticism. And it keeps happening. It’s now reached a point where, as this proves, it’s like emotional touch paper. And sure, I’m not a professional expert on mental health, and no doubt, neither are you. But I know more about this particular case than you do just because you read about it in the Sun, or saw a documentary.

There comes a point where it’s just frustrating to witness someone constantly hammering the pattern of destruction for those around – and I was once one of those around - only to see the destructive force make a moving and sincere apology… then do it again.

(On reflection, that’s the nature of addiction/illness, and I know that all too well, but as I say, a rash tweet and it’s not the place for it. )

I should also say that during the course of this twitter… whatever it is, Clarke has been in touch with a retrospective apology over things that went on a long time ago, and I think that has to be respected by all, myself included.

Anyway... You have to be in a dark place to attempt suicide, and only a fool would suggest otherwise. However, I do find myself thinking that when you’ve been driving drunk five (is it?) times, risking lives of countless other people, and even in your darkest hour still manage to involve a lorry driver who could have died himself, and now has to live with that trauma and memory every day fro the REST of his life… Personally my stores of empathy start to dry up after a while.

Am I really that out of order for suggesting that’s not on? Do we repeatedly overlook reckless destruction of other lives beacause someone apologizes, again and again, and says it’s an illness? Isn't there a point where we can go, "enough is enough"?

I hate drink driving, I really do. I know victims of it, who have died, been paralysed, or lost loved ones, and I’ve watched this man get caught doing it several times then publicly forgiven, lauded, and handed a bloody good career! I’m sorry but that annoys me!

And I think that’s my overriding feeling. I don’t feel sad for Clarke any more, I was drained of that some time ago. Instead I feel sad, and maybe a little angry, for Gemma, and the kids, and the lorry driver, and the people who dived out of the way of the car all those years ago, and all the other people who have been ####ed over and over and over… you know who you are.

Of course I wish Clarke a strong recovery – and not just from the crash. It would be a better world if he and all other sufferers of such an insidious disease could find a way to fight the good fight. But when he does end up facing the drink driving charges, this time around, I hope, not least out of respect for the hundreds of drink driving victims who tweet me every year, they throw the book at him.

I don’t think that makes me a ####, or gobshite, or a ######, or any other delightful name some of you came up with, but hey it’s a free country.

Though, as a final thought, I would say again, I’m a fool for forgetting that twitter is not, and never will be, the place for a comment like that. It’s too reductive and simplistic, and yes, without context, I can see it would seem insensitive and crass. Not my intention.

I’m going to bed.

Comment

Long ago, I saw a woman throw herself under a tube train at Oxford Circus. It's not the sort of thing you forget, I can't imagine how the driver dealt with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack4QPR View Post
          I feel sorry for the lorry driver. Not doubting that Clarke must be in a bad place right now, but don't ruin another life trying to take your own. These people have to live with it for the rest of their lives.
          Spot on.

Depression is a very serious matter to get to the extent people feel compelled to end their lives, but as you say, don't involve others in the mess that transpires as it could ruin their lives. There are plenty of ways someone could make sure of a successful suicide without involving anyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by Del View Post
            There are plenty of ways someone could make sure of a successful suicide without involving anyone else.
            The problem is that if someone is so low and depressed that they're contemplating suicide, they aren't usually thinking rationally or logically enough to think about the consequences of their actions on anyone else...

Comment

Originally posted by Lunar Jetman View Post
              The problem is that if someone is so low and depressed that they're contemplating suicide, they aren't usually thinking rationally or logically enough to think about the consequences of their actions on anyone else...

Spot on. The posters above haven´t get it at all. Jeez.
              QPR
              Best team in the world
              Sort of

Comment

He's at the game today

Comment

Good!!^^
                  QPR
                  Best team in the world
                  Sort of

Comment

"What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Originally posted by Lunar Jetman View Post
                      This.

When you are in such a dark place and see no way out, you just want to get off the planet and don't care how you do it or who it affects. If you haven't been there, you have no idea just how lonely a place it is.

Comment

Originally posted by West Acton View Post
                        He's at the game today
                        He sat behind me in Block V Ellerslie Rd.in the commentary box with headphones and mike.Hard to believe he tried to end it all.

Comment

Feel more sorry for the lorry driver than for him tbh

Comment

Will be announced monday that clarke carlisle will be anointed head of mental positivity and confidence. Good to see him there today and given a fresh start at the club, he bleeds blue and white. On lorries, but still.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Mcleod View Post
                              Will be announced monday that clarke carlisle will be anointed head of mental positivity and confidence. Good to see him there today and given a fresh start at the club, he bleeds blue and white. On lorries, but still.
                              I shouldn't, but the bottle of Brouilly at dinner and this post really made me laugh.

Comment

Working...
                              X