Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very nice article on QPR in the Independent

Bright future must not overlook the lessons of history

There is very little beauty at Loftus Road yet it is currently the ground I most enjoy visiting. This is not because it is the football ground closest to my house, although maybe that adds to my affection. It isn't necessarily because the floodlights light up the rows of terraced houses as you approach it in the way that English football grounds are supposed to do but that also helps.

It does have something to do with those streets. It does have something to do with Shepherd's Bush and walking along the Uxbridge Road past the pubs that contain the type of Irishmen who never feature when they write the perennial magazine story about the Irish in London, even though those Irishmen are still here and probably haven't gone any place else.

More...

Nice read, thanks!

Comment

agree with most of this article ,something i have done for over 50years ,the thought of trudging up to a souless stadium doesn't excite me at all ,one thing is for certain if we do move ,we will lose our individualityand become nondescript ,but at least we will be able to stretch our legs out for 90 minuets once a fortnight
      Football played the Charlie Ferris way

Comment

Great article, nicely written.

Comment

Nobody knows what we will be moving in to, we could be surprised. Stadiums are about continuing history, not looks. In fifty years time, we will have history there, not me but our future supporters will.

Comment

can't beat a night game at LR imo.....those floodlights!!!

Comment

Beautiful piece of journalism. Oh this made me smile:

They have based their attempt to escape on their form at Loftus Road where they have won four times, drawn with Manchester City and lost inexplicably to Liverpool. It is an atmospheric ground and the atmosphere, of course, comes from the stadium's design and the way the crowd hangs over the players. It comes also, I believe, from the history, from the knowledge that men have stood in these seats before, providing support and abuse to players for generations and, in the case of Stan Bowles, providing information on the winner of the 3.10 at Haydock Park.
              'Only a Ranger!' cried Gandalf. 'My dear Frodo, that is just what the Rangers are: the last remnant in the South of the great people, the Men of West London.' - Lord of the Rings, Book II, Chapter I - Many Meetings.

Comment

Originally posted by superhoop67 View Post
                agree with most of this article ,something i have done for over 50years ,the thought of trudging up to a souless stadium doesn't excite me at all ,one thing is for certain if we do move ,we will lose our individualityand become nondescript ,but at least we will be able to stretch our legs out for 90 minuets once a fortnight
                Did you find trudging up to the new wembley in may for the first time as a r' souless? Dont reckon they all are, hopefully ours wont be.
                Last edited by Kevin Mcleod; 20-12-2014, 02:01 AM.

Comment

Wembley was a great occasion but yes it was soulless not a patch on the victory over WBA. Sentiment is lost on new owners and as long as we are in this league money talks and supporters are just unimportant shite that sit in seats quietly watching the game

Comment

Originally posted by gary56 View Post
                    Wembley was a great occasion but yes it was soulless not a patch on the victory over WBA. Sentiment is lost on new owners and as long as we are in this league money talks and supporters are just unimportant shite that sit in seats quietly watching the game
                    Gary, I think you know that Tony does not see us that way.

Shepherd's Bush is indeed a bit special. We will all miss it when we move. Here's hoping that the new stadium will be special in its own way.
                    'Only a Ranger!' cried Gandalf. 'My dear Frodo, that is just what the Rangers are: the last remnant in the South of the great people, the Men of West London.' - Lord of the Rings, Book II, Chapter I - Many Meetings.

Comment

Working...
                    X