How we can be Everton, according to the statistics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How we can be Everton, according to the statistics

So, given that I am the stats man, I thought maybe I could do this as a weekly thing pre match where I discuss where we could win or lose each match based on the statistics. With an out of sorts Everton team who have won only 1 of their last 6 matches having also drawn with Hull and Sunderland in that period, home and away respectively, one might say that this is the opportune time to play the Toffees. Everton have been rather unpredictable at home, in that they have won 2, drawn 2 and lost 2 of their last 6 matches, although they are unbeaten in 4 at home. Based on their performances this season, Everton will play a possession style of football, playing plenty of short passes and attempting many long shots. Everton have a big difficulty in breaking down opposition defence and getting chances in the box, hence the high number of long shots. They also like keeping the ball in their own half, perhaps waiting for the opposition to start attacking them allowing for pacey counter attacks spearheaded by top goalscorer Romelu Lukaku and helped out by the pace of Barkley, McGeady and Mirallas behind him. While they don't get many chances, they have a brilliant shots per goal ratio which highlights the threat of allowing them space in our half.
    That, I feel is the key to getting something out of Everton, closing them down in our half and never allowing more than 5 players in the final third at any time. By closing them into their own half or just putting some pressure on them in out half, we can force them into mistakes and Everton have a poor defensive record against skillful players, something we can use to our advantage, with Fer and Vargas starting and making life difficult for them, perhaps even starting Kranjcar ahead of Barton and introducing Barton later into the game to box them out.
    Everton are also extremely, and I really mean extremely poor at winning the ball in the air. On the other hand, QPR have an outstanding record of aerial duels, winning about 7 more aerial duels per game than Everton. With Zamora and Fer being offensive aerial threats and Dunne and Caulker being defensive aerial talents, I'm fairly confident in that part of our game. We are also known to play an offside trap, while Everton have a tendency to be caught offside very often which plays into our hands and I have no doubt that on his game, Dunne is more than capable of shutting out Lukaku's physical game. Also playing to our benefits is Everton's poor concentration and tendency to make silly individual mistakes which they concede from. They also concede a huge amount of chances per game which will play into our hands hopefully. Perhaps very useful to us is Everton's ability to give up their lead so easily under a bit of pressure which is worth noting.

Now onto the actual requirements to beat Everton. There are a few key things. Firstly is to play a strong defensive backbone through defence and with Karl Henry just in front of them. This will stop Everton getting counter attacks going. From corners, have only Caulker go into the box and leave Dunne back with the full backs and Henry just outside the box. This goes totally against how we usually defend as we do tend to concede from Counters (Liverpool is a memory of sorts). But if we have worked on that in the last 9 days, then we may have a chance of keeping them out and maybe sneaking one in. In order to do that, we have to play the old stoke long ball football with Zamora and Fer being the target men from Goal Kicks and crosses. Everton are poor at defending in the air, especially with their short(ish) defensive line, the only tall player being Distin. Get Zamora on Jagielka and Vargas on Distin and we can create plenty of opportunities throughout the match. Taking them is another thing but I assume finishing training was a major part of the preparation.

The one role that needs to be managed properly in order to block the chance creation is the Karl Henry role. He has to be on Barkley all match, he cannot stray from his man at any point, he cannot do anything fancy like he has done in recent matches, this has to be a perfect defensive performance to stop the strong and creative youngster from setting his speedy wingers off. If we can do that, we may just sneak away with something today.

Other than that COYR'S
    "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Can't read all that. Need to use paragraphs correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by Toni German View Post
      Can't read all that. Need to use paragraphs correctly.
      That's not a paragraph.

As regards Everton, what would NW do is the answer.

Comment

Here's my take on "How we can be Everton":
        HAVE HAROLD FIELD AN ATTACKING TEAM
        Banning people is no longer my hobby,
        but take a look at my photo blog:

http://kirillqpr.blogspot.com/

How and why did I start supporting QPR in Estonia:
        http://www.wearetherangersboys.com/forum/blog.php?b=852

Comment

Great post and great read mate.
          Fully agree about the karl henry role in this match, he needs to keep him quiet all game.
          Can't see us winning today to be honest but a draw would be incredible and a good morale boost for the squad.
          COYRS

Comment

Originally posted by Kirill View Post
            Here's my take on "How we can be Everton":
            HAVE HAROLD FIELD AN ATTACKING TEAM
            That is actually the opposite of what we do. We attack and we leave ourselves open at the back. We play the long balls in the air and hang them to our strikers and we can win
            "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Good post nasser95. Keep the stats coming. Nice to read opinions based on stats/facts.
              https://twitter.com/1qprdk

Comment

great post Nasser and I hope Harry has worked out that we need to nullify Barkley to win.

Interesting to see how the team sets up as I can see 5 in midfield with Vargas and Fer (with Barton, Henry and Mutch holding) pushing up if Bobby starts.
                oldhoop

The Bread Mans Blue and White Army

Comment

Originally posted by Greengrass View Post
                  That's not a paragraph.

As regards Everton, what would NW do is the answer.
                  That's a good point and I do in fact have the answer here. What we did well was win the ball back often at opposition attacks, and create our opportunities from the flanks. This worked because we did in fact attack mainly down our left (45% of the time we attacked down the left) and this worked because our most skillful player, Taarabt was playing on that side. Who was on the opposite flank? Tommy Smith the goalscorer. Who tormented Everton's Defence? Patrick 'The Brick' Agyemang and the assist for the goal was given by the creative midfielder Akos Buzsaky. Now I can see some similarities between that team and this one. Here is the look of that Side:

....................Kenny
                  Orr........Hall........Gabbidon........Connolly
                  ............Derry........Faurlin.............
                  Smith.........Buzsaky..........Taarabt
                  ...............Agyemang

This 4231 worked against the physical everton line up but already we can see that with the line up expected of everton, some aspects of this may not work today. Here is a comparison of Everton's Previous Line up and their expected line up today:

....................Howard
                  Neville...Jagielka.....Distin.....Baines
                  Rodwell...Heitinga....Osman....Barkley
                  ....................Cahill
                  ...................Beckford

.....................Howard
                  Coleman.....Distin.....Jagielka.....Baines
                  ..........McCarthy..........Besic..........
                  McGeady........Barkley........Mirallas
                  ....................Lukaku

Now, there are clear differences between the line ups.
                  Firstly there is more pace in today's side, which incidentally plays into our new side. Yun and Isla are more than fast enough to deal with the skillful and pacy wingers. We stopped their midfield then and now with a no nonsense defensive midfielder and a solid defensively but more creative midfielder a la Barton. Have a creative midfielder just in front of them such as Kranjcar who will play behind a strong hold up player like Zamora, fed by a poaching winger like vargas and a skillful winger like Leroy Fer. Defensively, we are better than we were, offensively we are better than we were. We can do this
                  Last edited by nasser95; 15-12-2014, 01:26 PM.

Comment

We were hammered for 90 mins that game, but what a result. Dave up front just lol! Didnt he miss an absolute sitter? To be fair, he tried and thats all we ask for.

If we play like we do at home, we have a chance. If we play like we normally play away, lets just forfeit the game now and move on.

Comment

Not that easy to read the lineups:

Everton 2011:
                      Howard
                      Neville Jagielka Distin Baines
                      Rodwell Heitinga Osman Barkley
                      Cahill
                      Beckford

Everton 2014 as predicted by Nasser:

Howard
                      Coleman Distin Jagielka Baines
                      McCarthy Besic
                      McGeady Barkley Mirallas
                      Lukaku

May help?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeems View Post
                        We were hammered for 90 mins that game, but what a result. Dave up front just lol! Didnt he miss an absolute sitter? To be fair, he tried and thats all we ask for.

If we play like we do at home, we have a chance. If we play like we normally play away, lets just forfeit the game now and move on.
                        Yep, 14 shots for them, 4 for us, they had 54.1% possession. but we actually played much better, getting an overall rating of 7.00 and them 6.46

Comment

Originally posted by 1QPRDK View Post
                          Not that easy to read the lineups:

Everton 2011:
                          Howard
                          Neville Jagielka Distin Baines
                          Rodwell Heitinga Osman Barkley
                          Cahill
                          Beckford

Everton 2014 as predicted by Nasser:

Howard
                          Coleman Distin Jagielka Baines
                          McCarthy Besic
                          McGeady Barkley Mirallas
                          Lukaku

May help?
                          Cheers for that, I have difficulty editing it all together into the format needed here.

Comment

Didnīt see you already had that fixed ;-)

Sorry.

Letīs just hope we get a win tonight (or at least a point)

U Rīs

Comment

Originally posted by 1QPRDK View Post
                              Didnīt see you already had that fixed ;-)

Sorry.

Letīs just hope we get a win tonight (or at least a point)

U Rīs
                              Anything will kick start our away campaign for next half of the season

Comment

Working...
                              X