The International Break

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The International Break

It is clear that since the international break we have improved hugely but just look at these stats to realise just how much we have improved:

In 7 league games prior to the break, we conceded 2.14 goals per game and only scored 0.57 goals per game. We only managed 43% Possession on average and only 3.4 shots on target per match.

Then came the international break and a chance for the players to work on their defensive contribution and finishing. The results are incredible:

In 4 matches against top teams (Bar Villa), we managed to score 1.75 goals per game and only conceded 1.75 goals per game. Bear in mind we played the top 3 teams from last season in this period. We have also managed to maintain a similar possession percentage of 38.5% yet we have managed 5 shots on target per game.

We have adapted our style of play thanks to the use of Zamora correctly and alongside him, Austin has thrived on his chances. We now have another international break where I'm sure we can expect the team to push on with improving and tweaking this style of play to take advantage of our strength.

The one thing I have noticed is that the only players to truly challenge our defence since the break have been short, low centre of gravity speedsters a la Sterling, coutinho, oscar and Aguero. Look at how dunne and caulker have dealt with Costa and Benteke, two of the strongest and most physical players in the league. Looking ahead, Newcastle have Cisse who Dunne should be able to deal with, Ulloa for leicester who is exactly the sort of player Dunne does well against, the same goes for Bony for Swansea, Danny Ings may be a threat but I can't imagine Dunne playing so many matches anyways and maybe Onuoha will have a better time against him. Lukaku for everton is of the same breed as Benteke but Berahino for West Brom could pose a problem. Alexis Sanchez is a very difficult player to play against and may get a goal against us but Palace only really have Jedinak and Campbell who have scored a few and I don't see them being too difficult to be with.

We just have to hope that austin and zamora can last in those matches. Maybe against the bigger teams like Arsenal or Swansea we can afford to bring Zamora on later in the game and cause more problems towards the end like we did against the Scum. The coming period is extremely difficult to play in because of fixture congestion and this was when austin got his injury last season so we can't afford risks.
    "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Working...
X