Is there a minute of silence today???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jmelanie View Post
    This year is special being the 100th anniversary since the beginning of the First World War. Don't know if any of you have visited the ceramic poppies at the Tower of London. It is very impressive if you can see them for all the crowds. They are getting about 100,000 visitors a day. We went to the Imperial War Museum yesterday and it was packed. We could not get into the First World War exhibit because they was not further allocation for that day. I know it is half term but it seems most people have not forgotten.

We visited Ypres (Wipers) earlier this year and until you go there you cannot appreciate the sacrifice that so many people made.

They still have a ceremony every evening at the Menin Gate, where all the fallen who have never been found.

There are dozens and dozens of cemetaries, each with their own story. The German cemetaries were the most dour and depressing.
    Great post. Hoping to take youngest next week to the tower to see poppies once in life time event which I personally think it is important she sees

Comment

Originally posted by jmelanie View Post
      This year is special being the 100th anniversary since the beginning of the First World War. Don't know if any of you have visited the ceramic poppies at the Tower of London. It is very impressive if you can see them for all the crowds. They are getting about 100,000 visitors a day. We went to the Imperial War Museum yesterday and it was packed. We could not get into the First World War exhibit because they was not further allocation for that day. I know it is half term but it seems most people have not forgotten.

We visited Ypres (Wipers) earlier this year and until you go there you cannot appreciate the sacrifice that so many people made.

They still have a ceremony every evening at the Menin Gate, where all the fallen who have never been found.

There are dozens and dozens of cemetaries, each with their own story. The German cemetaries were the most dour and depressing.
      interesting post mel....would love to go to Ypres and see it all....its on the bucket list!!!

Comment

Originally posted by QPRDave View Post
        Good cause though, don't you think?
        Absolutely fantastic cause Dave, I very very rarely miss going to a memorial ceremony.

They have ruined the service by changing it a few years back. IMO
        "Steve, do you think 25k is a good option when there are indications that within four years, new stadiums on average have increased attendances of 60%?
        For us that would mean around 29k."

QPR Richard 16-12-2013 10.08pm

Comment

Originally posted by NW_Hoopz View Post
          Absolutely fantastic cause Dave, I very very rarely miss going to a memorial ceremony.

They have ruined the service by changing it a few years back. IMO
          How did they change it?

The poppies at the tower is a wonderful piece of art, and extremely poignant.

Comment

Originally posted by West Acton View Post
            If there is lets not show ourselves up gents like Chelsea have done on many an occasion during the observation
            Fair play West, you called it right, I thought it would be next weekend. Pretty well observed silence apart from something at the end, not sure from what side.

Saw the poppies at the Tower a few weeks ago. Always makes me think of my grandad who fought in the first world war and his stories of that terrible conflict.

Comment

Originally posted by Hubble View Post
              Fair play West, you called it right, I thought it would be next weekend. Pretty well observed silence apart from something at the end, not sure from what side.

Saw the poppies at the Tower a few weeks ago. Always makes me think of my grandad who fought in the first world war and his stories of that terrible conflict.

Comment

Total pin drop silence today as expected.

Comment

Working...
                X