Rio set for new defensive-midfield role

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rio set for new defensive-midfield role

Redknapp has been trialling Rio in a holding defensive midfield role during training sessions. It is unclear whether HR was simply looking at the experiment for the Chelsea game, or whether it is an option for other fixtures.

Redknapp played Ferdinand in midfield as a youngster at West Ham on occasion and the veteran could be asked to give the QPR defence greater protection.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...r-comment.html

Rio Ferdinand could still play against Chelsea tomorrow - in a surprise new role - if QPR apply for a seven-day stay of execution to delay his three-match ban.

A QPR source this morning confirmed Redknapp has been using Ferdinand in training all week and may even want him to play in a new role against Chelsea. The source revealed: “Harry has been trying Rio out in a new role in training every day and it’s worked well.”

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/foot...n-9830785.html

Oh dear!! So we have to find him place in a starting 11 no matter what? Next month as a left winger?

Comment

To close out a game it might not be a bad shout.
      Kept the faith!

Comment

Originally posted by californiahoop View Post
        To close out a game it might not be a bad shout.
        We have Sandro, Henry and Joey's coming back soon. I'm also against playing players out of positions. Rio has played dm last time 1997?

Comment

Just.. no, basically. You don't start trying things out when you're scrapping for survival. Stick to what works and build from there. Ferdinand has looked lackadaisical to me from the get go. Languid would be a nice way of putting it. We need a scrapper, a fighter in the DM position, not a primadonna. Maybe against a team of lesser potency than the scum or City he could work in that role, but for now, we've got Sandro, Henry and Barton to come back as well, all of whom should start ahead of Ferdinand in the DMN role. IMHO of course.

Comment

Only role he should try out for is Jude the Cat....

Comment

I think everybody is being too hard on Rio. Understandable given the way we have been burned the last time in the EPL but I don't think Rio is like that. It will be good for him to know that he has to compete for his place and I'm not against trying different things to get him playing well. Seems as though he is a very positive influence off the pitch so let's see if we can bring him up to speed on it.
              'Only a Ranger!' cried Gandalf. 'My dear Frodo, that is just what the Rangers are: the last remnant in the South of the great people, the Men of West London.' - Lord of the Rings, Book II, Chapter I - Many Meetings.

Comment

Isn't he banned anyway? I'm not against experimenting with Rio in a match like this if he is in fact eligible and has trained enough at that position!
                @gatorTFC

Comment

Originally posted by gator View Post
                  Isn't he banned anyway? I'm not against experimenting with Rio in a match like this if he is in fact eligible and has trained enough at that position!
                  I assume that if they appeal the decision, he will be able to play until a decision is made on the appeal.

Comment

What a farking insult to the midfielders that have been running their guts out these past couple of games.

Rio needs to fark off and retire.

He was dropped for a reason.
                    The reason being he is shyte.
                    Harry does what Harry does best, putting square pegs in round holes
                    nsa/cia spy on this..............┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Comment

Way to harsh on Rio. Reads the game very well and is a great passer. Why not. Maybe Sandro or Henry have a knock

Comment

The rio hate is an absolute and utter joke. But no surprise. People on the internet HAVE to hate things and show that hate with their fingers pressing letters on a keyboard. Makes life worthwhile.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Mcleod View Post
                          The rio hate is an absolute and utter joke. But no surprise.
                          Indeed it is no surprise because he is as useless as some of us actually had the common sense to predict he would be. Slated we got for stating the bleeding obvious, but now conveniently forgotten . Of course who deserve our derision right now more than this yet another aged mercenary are the clueless or corrupt buffoons in positions of power at QPR who keep recommending and signing such players for us, suspiciously refusing to learn anything from countless previous examples.
                          Banning people is no longer my hobby,
                          but take a look at my photo blog:

http://kirillqpr.blogspot.com/

How and why did I start supporting QPR in Estonia:
                          http://www.wearetherangersboys.com/forum/blog.php?b=852

Comment

Originally posted by Kirill View Post
                            Indeed it is no surprise because he is as useless as some of us actually had the common sense to predict he would be. Slated we got for stating the bleeding obvious, but now conveniently forgotten . Of course who deserve our derision right now more than this yet another aged mercenary are the clueless or corrupt buffoons in positions of power at QPR who keep recommending and signing such players for us, suspiciously refusing to learn anything from countless previous examples.
                            Focusing on the positives as usual Kirill?

Comment

Originally posted by Kirill View Post
                              Hes played a handful of games and has got the most honours in the game than any player to pull on the hoops, and there is a reason for that, not luck. Last season it was zamora, and that changed.
                              Oh and if you coat every single player and thing to do with the club you are bound to be 'really intelligent and clever and the all seeing eye' once in a while. Thats a fact of life.

Comment

Working...
                              X