No announcement yet.

Adel Taarabt discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JEEEEZZZ is this thread STILL dragging on..

Comment

• Originally posted by Shepherds Mush View Post
      My point is we are comparing Adel against a player we aren't even linked with, so I've put another player we aren't even linked with that you would probably try and pointlessly prove that Adel is better than.
      I only brought up the Adel vs Ben Arfa comparison after a bunch of other people posted saying "yes, let's get HBA. He's a great player who always delivers, unlike Adel". Given that, I think it's perfectly valid to point out Adel was actually more productive while playing for a worse team.

Again, no one fancy engaging with the evidence on this? Keep trotting out the daily hate comfort food guys!

Comment

• Originally posted by Geng View Post
        I only brought up the Adel vs Ben Arfa comparison after a bunch of other people posted saying "yes, let's get HBA. He's a great player who always delivers, unlike Adel". Given that, I think it's perfectly valid to point out Adel was actually more productive while playing for a worse team.

Again, no one fancy engaging with the evidence on this? Keep trotting out the daily hate comfort food guys!
        Obviously it is still going on..........

Comment

• Originally posted by Factamondo View Post
          sinton,sinclair,impey
          ,rowly
          Now why are you kicking it all off again Facto? We wonders..... ;)

Purely out of interest, only two players in my time have come anywhere near AT in terms of raw ability, and maybe one other had the same ability to carve through from midpark and finish. None of them are on that list. And one of them was an poor trainer, just like Adel.

A key difference is that old geezers like me were spoiled. We were known to be a side who played (total) football with some fantastic entertainers. And we did it on a relatively low budget. It's nice watching the carthorses mooching around, but sooner or later you need a thoroughbred fix......

Comment

• Originally posted by FurtiveFox View Post
            I really think the 'Sponsored by KFC' should be removed.
            I never knew that Kentucky had a football club!

Comment

I really think the 'Sponsored by KFC' should be removed. There are many millions of people in this country fighting obesity and as one of those Adel needs help not ridicule.

Also just because not a single manager in the top flight wants him for next to nothing doesn't mean he isn't one of the top players in the world. Geng is right. He has proved himself to be a top player. It is their loss.

Don't let the bullies beat you Adel. There is a place for chubby people in professional football.
              I agree! Just ask Charlie Austin...

Comment

I really think the 'Sponsored by KFC' should be removed. There are many millions of people in this country fighting obesity and as one of those Adel needs help not ridicule.

Also just because not a single manager in the top flight wants him for next to nothing doesn't mean he isn't one of the top players in the world. Geng is right. He has proved himself to be a top player. It is their loss.

Don't let the bullies beat you Adel. There is a place for chubby people in professional football.
                Mods.. Am I allowed to call this fellow as well as Geng a 'Clown'?

They are quite clearly constantly on the wind up about fat boy Adel.

Comment

• I like how the guy who uses evidence to backup his points is labelled a clown whereas the people who can seemingly only communicate in one line cliches are presumably fountains of footballing wisdom.

Comment

• Originally posted by hal9thou View Post
                    Now why are you kicking it all off again Facto? We wonders..... ;)

Purely out of interest, only two players in my time have come anywhere near AT in terms of raw ability, and maybe one other had the same ability to carve through from midpark and finish. None of them are on that list. And one of them was an poor trainer, just like Adel.

A key difference is that old geezers like me were spoiled. We were known to be a side who played (total) football with some fantastic entertainers. And we did it on a relatively low budget. It's nice watching the carthorses mooching around, but sooner or later you need a thoroughbred fix......
                    Different era. Football has changed a lot since the 1970s and it's much harder to be a maverick entertaining virtuoso type at the top level these days.

General levels of fitness are much, much higher. Defences are better organised, back lines are well-drilled, goals at the highest level these days tend to be more about rehearsed patterns of play forcing a mistake rather than random brilliance. Think even back to the 90s. Remember how the last 20 mins of most games used to be end to end, everyone knackered, shape and tactics go out the window. You rarely see that these days.

This is one of the (many) reasons why the people who knock Messi in the Messi v Maradona debate are wrong when they point to Maradona's random flashy moments of brilliance as evidence of some sort of higher talent. It isn't. Messi has just had it coached out of him as there are more efficient ways to win football matches (which is why Messi scores at double the rate, against better opposition).

Or think what Joe Cole would have turned into in the 1970s, another Stan Bowles. Bowles wouldn't get near a Mourinho side though, so he ended up as a much more functional all rounder (ignore the past few years, Cole was excellent for a while in Mourinho's first spell, just not... fun).

Players who either haven't had the flashyness coached out of them or who resist the urge to change are very, very rare these days. Taarabt is one. Ben Arfa another. Ronaldinho. Maybe Neymar, but I'm sure that won't last long now he's in Europe.

This is why we were lucky to have Adel. Because if he did grow up and become the player badge-kissing grafter WATRBs seemingly wants him to be, he'd be just another player. At a better club.

Comment

Different era. Football has changed a lot since the 1970s and it's much harder to be a maverick entertaining virtuoso type at the top level these days.

General levels of fitness are much, much higher. Defences are better organised, back lines are well-drilled, goals at the highest level these days tend to be more about rehearsed patterns of play forcing a mistake rather than random brilliance. Think even back to the 90s. Remember how the last 20 mins of most games used to be end to end, everyone knackered, shape and tactics go out the window. You rarely see that these days.

This is one of the (many) reasons why the people who knock Messi in the Messi v Maradona debate are wrong when they point to Maradona's random flashy moments of brilliance as evidence of some sort of higher talent. It isn't. Messi has just had it coached out of him as there are more efficient ways to win football matches (which is why Messi scores at double the rate, against better opposition).

Or think what Joe Cole would have turned into in the 1970s, another Stan Bowles. Bowles wouldn't get near a Mourinho side though, so he ended up as a much more functional all rounder (ignore the past few years, Cole was excellent for a while in Mourinho's first spell, just not... fun).

Players who either haven't had the flashyness coached out of them or who resist the urge to change are very, very rare these days. Taarabt is one. Ben Arfa another. Ronaldinho. Maybe Neymar, but I'm sure that won't last long now he's in Europe.

This is why we were lucky to have Adel. Because if he did grow up and become the player badge-kissing grafter WATRBs seemingly wants him to be, he'd be just another player. At a better club.
                      So in summary we still have him because he is a bit crap and hasn't developed?

Comment

Just to pre-empt the pedants who would otherwise jump on this point as though it somehow disproves the rest of what I say.

Adel is obviously not as good as Ronaldinho.

He just shares a playing style and their strengths and weaknesses are broadly the same.

Comment

I like how the guy who uses evidence to backup his points is labelled a clown whereas the people who can seemingly only communicate in one line cliches are presumably fountains of footballing wisdom.
                          He has no points to back-up Geng.
                          It doesn't take footballing wisdom to realise your best buddy Adel is not one of the best players in the world and that there isn't a place for chubby people in football.
                          You both are so obviously on the wind up with your posts on this forum it is unbelievable.. you spout tosh left right and centre on every thread near enough.
                          I think you.. Furtive Foxy man and your Dream man Adel should all run along to the real world where fat people don't play professional football..

Comment

So in summary we still have him because he is a bit crap and hasn't developed?
                            A bit crap compared to his potential, sure. But I'd rather have him than a Jamie Mackie playing at 100%, both in terms of entertainment and effectiveness.

I don't think even his knockers on here would dispute that if Adel suddenly woke up with Gary Neville's professionalism he would end up at a club better than us. No?

Comment

• Originally posted by West London is Rss View Post
                              He has no points to back-up Geng.
                              It doesn't take footballing wisdom to realise your best buddy Adel is not one of the best players in the world and that there isn't a place for chubby people in football.
                              You both are so obviously on the wind up with your posts on this forum it is unbelievable.. you spout tosh left right and centre on every thread near enough.
                              I think you.. Furtive Foxy man and your Dream man Adel should all run along to the real world where fat people don't play professional football..
                              I haven't said he's one of the best players in the world though.

You haven't said what is tosh, you're just making assertions. Engage with the arguments, explain why what I'm saying is wrong. Give it a try!

Comment

A bit crap compared to his potential, sure. But I'd rather have him than a Jamie Mackie playing at 100%, both in terms of entertainment and effectiveness.

I don't think even his knockers on here would dispute that if Adel suddenly woke up with Gary Neville's professionalism he would end up at a club better than us. No?
                                Arguable as whilst he has some natural ability he lacks killer pace and his set pieces and shooting are generally well below average. In my view a player who can boss the Championship as he gets away more with his shortcomings but at the top level defenders and midfielders just don't allow him the freedom to get away with it to anywhere near the same degree.

As has been said the game is much faster than in the days of Stan Bowles meaning much more difficult for mavericks to thrive.

From an entertainment perspective you do get the odd moment but also a lot of frustration with continually poor set pieces and shooting which also result in us losing possession and coming under unnecessary pressure.

If we were still in the Championship I'd be curious to see if he could recapture his form of three or so years ago but don't feel in the Premiership we can afford the luxury.

Comment

Working...
                                X