Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

clint hill......qpr 'legend' or cult hero???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clint hill......qpr 'legend' or cult hero???

i know the term 'legend' is used far too frequently these days to describe players but where is clint hill in respect to this???......i know he hasnt got the eye catching maverick skill of a bowles,marsh or the silky midfield nous of gerry francis nor the blistering goal scoring power of sir les.....however ,the man,with limited natural ability, has been a constant contributor in some of the most memorable seasons in qpr history....you only have to hear him interviewed or watch behind the scenes clips on youtube to see this man genuinely cares about the club....i dont expect to see clint start much this season and selfishly hoped him raising the play off trophy at wembley was his perfect platform to retire but the fire obviously still burns inside him on the playing side!

i will cause some debate here but im prepared to grace him with the accolade of.......clint hill modern day qpr 'legend'!!
    you know nothing john snow!!!!

Legend. Big part in two Championship promotions. Not many at Qpr have ever done that.

Comment

sacrificing himself at wembley for the team was a fantastic show of professionalism over selfishness i'll never forget!

Comment

I would go with cult hero.

Ainsworth, Rowlands, Gallen, Furlong, Shittu, Cookie deserve the same status if not higher,

He is probably the closest thing to a legend QPR have seen in the last 5 years but we have about 6-7 players since 2000 that deserve the same status as him.

You can't go around calling 7 players in a 14 year space legends (unless you are going through a golden era) else the world loses it's meaning.

Comment

point taken cookie....the players you mentioned performed at a lower level though with due respect to them all!

Comment

I would personally chuck him in the legend category.

When we signed him in the championship he was pretty much written off by a lot of our fans (me included IIRC!) before he even kicked a ball, laballed past it.

That year he was brilliant, but I think it was fairly accepted that he was no way good enough to play in the PL (backed up with the red card on the opening day!) but, even with the sums of money we chucked about in our 2 years in the PL, he got our PPOTY both years ( I think anyway?!).

Bloke hasn't got the best ability and has been a bit of a liability a few times, but all in all a top top pro & certainly a rangers legend in my eyes.
            You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Comment

Modern day Terry Venables to me !

Comment

IMO he's a cult hero who has shown the modern day mercenaries that being professional, caring about the club and it's fans and putting in 100% is what it's all about.

He knows he has limited ability but compensates by trying hard and never giving up and knowing his limitations. Always puts the club and the team first.

Never heard a bad word about him either.

Top bloke and a top pro

Comment

Originally posted by Kit View Post
                  Modern day Terry Venables to me !
                  thats a fantastic comparison mems.....spot on!

Comment

Hill for me is a legend, hard working, team mentor, captain, passionate, loyal, tough, high effort, role model for many.

Would love to see him in some sort of coaching role, either with the first team or the youngsters
                    I blew a lot on vodka and tonic, gambling and fags. Looking back, I think I overdid it on the tonic. - The one and only Stanley Bowles

Comment

again spot on hertsie.....terrible loss to the club if they fail to offer him a role once his playing days are over!

Comment

The ultimate role model

Comment

Lovely thread. Legend and cult hero. All round top bloke and good egg.

Comment

But he's a scouser.... surely that counts against him?

Comment

Personally I would put Clint above the names mentioned above, especially Rowlands. Yes Gallen is QPR and Furlong scored some important goals and went from villian to hero but Clint has been a true captain, sacrificed himself for the good of the team, gone out on loan, come back better and without attitude, re-claimed his spot, shown more desire than 99% of footballers & his efforts improved him as a player that he kept good CB's and LB's out of the starting 11. Legend to me because I wouldn't put anyone above him, or even near him going all the way back to 1996 when a certain Sir Les left us for the Geordies!

Comment

Working...
                              X