Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you in favour of enforced salary caps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you in favour of enforced salary caps?

Personally I am not because I've always been a believer in free-market economics. If clubs want to pay £100k p/w to a player then let them if they can afford it, assuming they've budgeted for it sensibly. Clubs that go to the wall obviously haven't done that so only have themselves to blame. There are more effective ways of leveling the playing field than introducing salary caps IMO, such as FFP and restricting the amount of foreign players per team.
    Yes
    63.89%
    No
    36.11%

The poll is expired.

Voted no 100%,, your right if a club can afford it why not that's the only way your going to get the best players,, but we played silly money to no hopers. They treated Rangers like a retirement home. You take the top six clubs now they might not finish in the same order every season but there always there getting stronger nd stronger. I don't fear for Rangers we had no choice in the matter with a huge wage bill, but I would like to think that we can pay premier wages again one day but that's a long way off.. The money now in the premier is massive i still say it with a few additions in January we would be still there. But that's my personal opinion
    You Rsssssss

Comment

I'm not in favour of the free market applying to football clubs. I think there should be limits on what can be spent on transfers and salaries.

For example, you could take the average turnover of all clubs in a division, and each club can only spend X amount on wages and X amount on salaries, based on a percentage of turnover. This would be reviewed every 5 years or so.

IMO, football has been wrecked with the amount of money sloshing around, where clubs like Chelski, City and Man Utd can blow everyone out of the water by paying more in transfer fees and wages. The top divisions in UEFA would have to sign up to it to make it work. This would prevent players running off to Germany, Italy, Spain and France.
      Supporting QPR isn't just about a football team. It's about roots and identity.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley View Post
        Personally I am not because I've always been a believer in free-market economics. If clubs want to pay £100k p/w to a player then let them if they can afford it, assuming they've budgeted for it sensibly. Clubs that go to the wall obviously haven't done that so only have themselves to blame. There are more effective ways of leveling the playing field than introducing salary caps IMO, such as FFP and restricting the amount of foreign players per team.
        How can you believe in the free market and then say ffp is the way to go?
        Ffp was dream't up by some frenchman (probably Platini) to thwart English clubs hoovering up all the talent and Euro club comps
        Ffp stops investment in clubs and favours the big ones, so basically introducing a glass ceiling to all medium and small clubs, and at the same time
        halting progression up the pyramid...............imo

Comment

Originally posted by QPRDave View Post
          Ffp was dream't up by some frenchman (probably Platini) to thwart English clubs hoovering up all the talent and Euro club comps
          If FFP rules are Europe-wide how can they only hinder English clubs?

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley View Post
            If FFP rules are Europe-wide how can they only hinder English clubs?
            Cause Prem clubs receive more money than other leagues....ffp is wrong wrong wrong

Comment

Cause Prem clubs receive more money than other leagues....ffp is wrong wrong wrong
              Agree. FFP is nonsense.

Why should a club in the prem that turns over say, 500m, be allowed to spend more than the club that turns over 100m? I see the argument that says they should be allowed to spend more because they've got more money, but it creates such an imbalance in a league, and you'll always see the big clubs at the top all the time.

A level playing field for all would create much better leagues.
              Supporting QPR isn't just about a football team. It's about roots and identity.

Comment

Ffp isnt fair at all. So say I am a multi billionaire who wants to buy and invest In my lifelong supported club I cant. Stops the growth of clubs overall and inly favours the big sides.

Comment

Fair enough Dave, but what's your view on the poll's actual question of enforced salary caps?

Comment

For me, the biggest problem with modern football is the wages the players can command. Particularly when you see average players earning huge salaries (Barton, Hoilett, Boswinga etc.). The knock-on effect is that some clubs try to live beyond their means to compete. We've seen it with Leeds, Portsmouth, Hull City (and you could argue us too) where clubs have taken this route and ended up hamstrung by huge debt and dropping down the leagues. End result is that the chairman who has caused the problem typically moves on and leaves the fans to suffer.

A possible solution would be a wage cap, perhaps something like what they do in the US where there is a cap with a number of named players above that cap allowed. Whether it's a good idea or not, I'm still a little unsure. It would be a very tough thing to implement as big clubs would oppose it. It would also only really work if every club on the planet signed up to the same system. Otherwise we would just see all the top quality players moving to a league that didn't enforce a wage cap.

Comment

its not my money and I want to get promoted, put up the airline prices in india but keep ticket prices low in Europe is the best strategy

Comment

I'm in favour of anything that imposes some kind of competitive balance on the Premier League. A salary cap would do that. As it stands, everybody knows who the top 4 teams are going to be, every single season. It never used to be that way. And of course it isn't that way in any other division in English football.
                        'Only a Ranger!' cried Gandalf. 'My dear Frodo, that is just what the Rangers are: the last remnant in the South of the great people, the Men of West London.' - Lord of the Rings, Book II, Chapter I - Many Meetings.

Comment

Not entirely sure what, but something absolutely must be done about not only salaries, but how money is distributed amongst all league clubs. A sense of proportion and a move towards fairness would be a start.

Comment

Salary caps should be calculated for only new players, with old players not having any new salary caps enforced. My belief is that club finances should play into the awarding of higher salary caps. You work better as a business, you earn a higher salary cap as you have shown a potency to grow successfully and organically. Avoids situations like portsmouth happening again.
                            "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

How does anyone justify rooneys 300k a week wages, the bloke is absolutely not in the same league as messi or Ronaldo
                              You Rsssssss

Comment

Working...
                              X