Oldham 2003 or Wigan 2014?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oldham 2003 or Wigan 2014?

Sadly I couldn't make it tonight, but the atmosphere sounded absolutely incredible. Did it beat the famous 2003 play-off game against Oldham at Loftus Road (my favourite ever QPR match)?
    Oldham 2003
    45.65%
    Wigan 2014
    54.35%

Oldham, at the time I thought another season in league 1 would have destroyed us, so getting to Wales was the be all, this time if we don't go up it isn't the end of the world, but it was great to win!
    Kept the faith!

Comment

just got in, unbelievable atmosphere, the whole ground was rocking
      I must away now, I can no longer tarry
      This morning's tempest I have to cross
      I must be guided without a stumble
      Into the arms I love the most

Comment

Too tough to call. The come back, the extra time, the time wasting, the spell at 10mins from half time, the deflected shot on 120mins, the four corners in a row they had, bobs finest hour, juniors consistency at running the ball out, the nerves before the penalty, the bandaged chief, the sloppy conditions...and that was only on the pitch...the singing, the fact that Wigan sold out an allocation, the mosaic...

Think last night pips it on review...

Comment

think last nights game edged it.

Comment

Originally posted by QPR_NW10 View Post
            Too tough to call. The come back, the extra time, the time wasting, the spell at 10mins from half time, the deflected shot on 120mins, the four corners in a row they had, bobs finest hour, juniors consistency at running the ball out, the nerves before the penalty, the bandaged chief, the sloppy conditions...and that was only on the pitch...the singing, the fact that Wigan sold out an allocation, the mosaic...

Think last night pips it on review...
            Quite a lot of empty seats that Wigan didn't sell, still a good turn out from them though. The atmosphere was one of if not the best ever I've been in at LR.

Comment

I think they were good for different reasons. Last night was definitiely more nervy for the pen and extra time but I think it was the sheer relief against Oldham that made that game and its goal celebrations one of the best ever

Comment

Last night was great but it's gotta be Oldham. I suspect people's memories have been dimmed over the years.

- First great moment in the 7 years since we went down. You could say in the ten years since we had finished 5th in the PL.

- Backdrop of us being a poverty-stricken trainwreck lurching from crisis to crisis, and overachieving with a squad of random freebies (this time we're in the playoffs, but that's the least you'd expect from the Chelsea of the Championship)

- The 03 side was more likeable

- We had better chants (5 or 6 players had their own song, many of which we still sing now)

- Much better atmosphere in 03 (seriously, people forget just how much better the atoms was for a random game even a decade ago. It wasn't great for a good 50 mins last night; Oldham was rocking pretty much all game)

Last night was probably the better game, though the ins and outs of the Oldham game escape me.

But for an epic occasion, Oldham has to win.

Comment

Originally posted by Geng View Post
                  Last night was great but it's gotta be Oldham. I suspect people's memories have been dimmed over the years.

- First great moment in the 7 years since we went down. You could say in the ten years since we had finished 5th in the PL.

- Backdrop of us being a poverty-stricken trainwreck lurching from crisis to crisis, and overachieving with a squad of random freebies (this time we're in the playoffs, but that's the least you'd expect from the Chelsea of the Championship)

- The 03 side was more likeable

- We had better chants (5 or 6 players had their own song, many of which we still sing now)

- Much better atmosphere in 03 (seriously, people forget just how much better the atoms was for a random game even a decade ago. It wasn't great for a good 50 mins last night; Oldham was rocking pretty much all game)

Last night was probably the better game, though the ins and outs of the Oldham game escape me.

But for an epic occasion, Oldham has to win.
                  I agree that the Oldham game may have just edged it.....

Even after we went 1-0 down last night, I just knew that we would go on to win it whereas at the Oldham game, until Furlong got THAT goal..........it was the most tense I have ever been at football

Comment

I am not voting in the poll as to which was better purely down to the fact that they were both magnificent occasions and the feeling at the end was the same..

I'm a happy hoop.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed the Ball View Post
                      Quite a lot of empty seats that Wigan didn't sell, still a good turn out from them though. The atmosphere was one of if not the best ever I've been in at LR.
                      Official attendance was 17,061 (seems kinda low?) so how many did Wigan sell?

Comment

Definitely Oldham because it was during the difficult time of administration.
                        QPR fan since1987

@yousef_qpr

Comment

you may as well call this poll.. the old qpr or the new qpr.. with all the old boys on here, the old qpr and Oldham is always gona come out on top

Comment

Oldham game.

It was visceral. Real. Remember, this was the season of Vauxhall Motors and we'd gone on an unbelievable run at the back end of the season to end up in the Play Offs - the ground was rocking week in week out - supporting a team of misfits, has-beens and young gambles. The tension was something else - you could feel it and the sheer noise that erupted when Furlong scored is something I've never experienced at any other ground in the world.

Remember Kevin Keegan saying that when there were 14,000 inside Loftus Road, it always sounded like 40,000. Well, for the Oldham game it sounded like 80,000. They ground physically shook. That night will never be beaten. It was insane.
                            Meet me by the railway tracks

Comment

Wigan for me as I was only 12 at the Oldham game so don't think I fully appreciated it. Last night was radio rental. Still buzzing now.
                              You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Comment

Working...
                              X