Entertainment and Results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Entertainment and Results

An interesting debate seems to be raging on whether we should play more enterprising football. We have no way of knowing whether our results would be better or worse if we tried a bit harder to score goals, so I think the question is whether we should risk what we have to try it.
    Our current boring football and results are fine
    23.81%
    Change to more attacking football, I'm prepared to risk worse results (or better ones)
    76.19%

The poll is expired.

'Only a Ranger!' cried Gandalf. 'My dear Frodo, that is just what the Rangers are: the last remnant in the South of the great people, the Men of West London.' - Lord of the Rings, Book II, Chapter I - Many Meetings.

What's the saying? "Rather get hung for a sheep than a lamb!"

Comment

I think we have quality at this level for sure. I just wish there was more tactical flexibility during a game because it's frustrating watching players with obvious talent being hamstrung by a system based on caution. Adel wowed us moons ago because he was given mental/physical space to play and that was exciting.

Comment

I don't think it's as drab as others seem to think, I agree we need more of a cutting edge in the final third but overall I think we are playing quite well! I'll take a dull one nil win over an exciting three two defeat any day!
        @gatorTFC

Comment

error

Some supporters are happy with 3 points no matter what, others want a bit of both, Myself I do not pay for my season ticket so my team gets 50 or 40 or 90 points end of the season because I did not pay for the points but for the football and points and wins are a bonus. I solely go to watch football no Alcohol before or after the game may be just one drink at away games, so for me get there near enough on time watch the football and on the way home so give me good football over points any day.
          Last edited by bhujio; 31-12-2013, 08:47 AM. Reason: error

Comment

Originally posted by bhujio View Post
            Some supporters are happy with 3 points no matter what, others want a bit of both, Myself I do not pay for my season ticket so my team gets 50 or 40 or 90 points end of the season because I did not pay for the points but for the football and points and wins are a bonus. I solely go to watch football no Alcohol before or after the game may be just one drink at away games, so for me get there near enough on time watch the football and on the way home so give me good football over points any day.
            So you would happily lose week in week out and drop through the leagues as long as your enjoying the brand off football were putting on?

Comment

Attack!!!
              Banning people is no longer my hobby,
              but take a look at my photo blog:

http://kirillqpr.blogspot.com/

How and why did I start supporting QPR in Estonia:
              http://www.wearetherangersboys.com/forum/blog.php?b=852

Comment

Football is supposed to be an ENTERTAINMENT. Watching a team trying not to lose is not entertaining.

The squad clearly has some attacking players and enough players with good defensive abilities and so they should be able to entertain and win. Drab and often lucky 1-0 wins are not enteraining to most fans.

Players like Hoilett Phillips Kranjcar Johnson should be used in an attacking formation so that they can provide passes and crosses for Austin. Austin scored more than 20 league goals a season at his previous clubs but may struggle to repeat this at QPR, so ask yourselves why?

Comment

Originally posted by West Acton View Post
                  So you would happily lose week in week out and drop through the leagues as long as your enjoying the brand off football were putting on?
                  A bit extreme, of course I wont be happy but I will be happy to stay in the Championship rather than go thro the previous two seasons

Comment

Originally posted by stanistheman View Post
                    Football is supposed to be an ENTERTAINMENT. Watching a team trying not to lose is not entertaining.

The squad clearly has some attacking players and enough players with good defensive abilities and so they should be able to entertain and win. Drab and often lucky 1-0 wins are not enteraining to most fans.

Players like Hoilett Phillips Kranjcar Johnson should be used in an attacking formation so that they can provide passes and crosses for Austin. Austin scored more than 20 league goals a season at his previous clubs but may struggle to repeat this at QPR, so ask yourselves why?
                    Exactly what I am on about

Comment

It was mentioned on another thread that there is a distinct difference in opinion between the fans that actually pay money and go to the matches and those of us who pick up a grainy live stream when we can! I think it's a fair point!
                      @gatorTFC

Comment

Originally posted by stanistheman View Post

Football is more about being a tribal pastime than entertainment, at least for supporters of a club. We identify with a particular organisation, as do supporters of other clubs.

I go to see QPR try and win football matches, the entertainment factor is of secondary importance to me. I'm part of the QPR tribe and join in with the singing etc to try to urge my team onto victory.

There are many more 'entertaining' clubs around to watch. Man City and Arsenal for a start, two clubs who play attractive, attacking football. If I wanted 'entertainment' I'd go and see clubs like those, but I don't. I'm part of the QPR tribe and QPR is part of my identity. It's in my DNA and part of what makes me who I am.
                        Supporting QPR isn't just about a football team. It's about roots and identity.

Comment

Originally posted by bhujio View Post
                          A bit extreme, of course I wont be happy but I will be happy to stay in the Championship rather than go thro the previous two seasons
                          No I accept that mate but the point is your saying you go for the entertainment value and not the end result if you can have both then thats great but its not the be all and end all

If football operated a system of no relegation or a franchise like Rugby League thats great but whilst there is something at stake at the end of the season i.e. promotion or relegation yes its great to be entertained but picking up points however its done is the priority. Once we have stabilised etc then we can think about entertainment bit like what Stoke and WBA have tried to do

This season for me is not about being entertained its about going up, banking the money, clearing as much debt as we can and protecting the future of the club. If that means I have to watch 1 or 2 years poor entertainment then so be it as that seems a reasonable short term sacrifice for long term gain

Comment

Originally posted by QPR Richard View Post
                            Football is more about being a tribal pastime than entertainment, at least for supporters of a club. We identify with a particular organisation, as do supporters of other clubs.

I go to see QPR try and win football matches, the entertainment factor is of secondary importance to me. I'm part of the QPR tribe and join in with the singing etc to try to urge my team onto victory.

There are many more 'entertaining' clubs around to watch. Man City and Arsenal for a start, two clubs who play attractive, attacking football. If I wanted 'entertainment' I'd go and see clubs like those, but I don't. I'm part of the QPR tribe and QPR is part of my identity. It's in my DNA and part of what makes me who I am.

Comment

By far the best thing about this season for me so far, is meeting up with some mates in the pub before the game.

Since promotion we have for the most part been far from great, but the last 12 months have been absolutely dreadful in my opinion. Loyalty to the club aside, I can't believe that any fan, ST holder or regular/casual attendee can hand on heart say that they have received anything approaching value for money.

We need to address this asap, as it won't be long before we are back to 12,000 gates if this continues.

Comment

Working...
                              X