Saturday 20th November 2010
Loftus Road Stadium
Npower Football League Championship
Kick-off: 15:00
Attendance: 13,505
Queens Park Rangers 3-1 Preston North End
By The Godfather

Queens Park Rangers starting line-up: Kenny, Hill, Hall (Rowlands 81), Gorkss, Walker, Connolly, Faurlin, Mackie (Andrade 87), Taraabt, Clarke, Hulse (Agyemang 81).

Preston North End starting line-up: Lonergan, Gray, Brown, St Ledger, De Laet, Tonge, Barton, Russell, Pugh, Parkin, Hume.

Queens Park Rangers cruised to a comfortable 3-1 victory over Preston North End on Saturday afternoon, with star man, Adel Taraabt, scoring two wonder strikes. The win was thoroughly deserved against one of the worst Championship teams I have seen in several years. Ferguson’s men were disorganised in every area of the pitch, particularly in defence. Despite being forced to field a weakened team, the Rs were able to exploit these weaknesses. Cardiff’s defeat to Nottingham Forest meant that Warnock’s side reclaimed the top position.

I was a little concerned about this match, especially as Shaun Derry was suspended following his fifth booking of the campaign at Nottingham Forest. I feel that Derry has played an instrumental part in the Super Hoops’ success this season and I was worried that Rangers would lack drive and steel in the middle of the park. Surpisingly, Warnock decided to move Matthew Connolly into the defensive midfield role, with the unpopular Fitz Hall partnering Gorkss in defence. There was another unexpected start for Leon Clarke, a man whose QPR career so far has been unremarkable to say the very least.

Preston had signed three new loan players prior to this match, including midfielders Tonge and Pugh. As soon as the game kicked off, it was clear that they were having problems gelling as a unit, with PNE seemingly lacking shape. Rangers were able to win the midfield battle very easily indeed and, within four minutes, they were ahead. Kyle Walker, as he has done so many times this season, raced past the Preston fullback and crossed in towards Rob Hulse. Lonergan inexcusably spilled the ball, leaving Hulse the simple task of tapping it into the back of the net.

It seemed very much that the away side were there for the taking and QPR continued to pile pressure upon the Lilywhites. The Super Hoops won a series of corners (they would eventually go on to win 17), one of which very nearly found the head of Hulse, but De Laet was able to clear to safety.

In the 18th minute, Sean St Ledger was bundled to the floor by Alejandro Faurlin, although the Argentinean had won the ball. Fuming, the Preston defender got to his feet and then, incredibly, pushed Rob Hulse, not realising that he had in fact got the wrong person. Many home supporters were calling for a sending off, but instead the referee brandished a yellow card. In my view, St Ledger could count himself very lucky indeed.

Just a minute later, a superb counter-attacking move from Queens Park Rangers almost resulted in a second goal. Taraabt received it in central midfield and sprinted towards the penalty area. The Morrocan tried to play Connolly through on goal, but the ball deflected off the former Arsenal man, hit Jamie Mackie’s boot and sailed out of play for a goal kick.

In the 25th minute, Leon Clarke had a golden opportunity to score the first goal of his QPR career. Instead, he squandered it in embarrassing fashion. More shambolic defending from Preston allowed Mackie to win the ball inside the opposition’s half, race into the penalty area and fire an effort at goal. This time Lonergan made a good save, but could only push it into the path of Clarke, who, with the goal at his mercy, scooped it high over the crossbar. I have to say, Clarke has not yet convinced me that he has what it takes to establish himself as a first team regular.

At the other end, Preston finally managed to carve out a chance of their own in the 31st minute. A long ball upfield managed to find Parkin in the six-yard box, who tried to turn and fire into the back of the net. Fortunately, Kaspars Gorkss made a fine tackle and cleared to safety.

Just before half time, the talented Kyle Walker almost doubled the Rs’ home advantage. Picking the ball up 35 yards out from goal, he smashed an effort inches wide of Lonergan’s left-hand post.

Half-time scoreline: Queens Park Rangers 1-0 Preston North End

Just six minutes after the break, Preston North End forced what would be their best chance of the match. With the Rs’ defence out of position, Jon Parkin managed to pick out Adam Barton on the right-hand side of the penalty area. One-on-one with the goalkeeper, his shot was well saved by Paddy Kenny, before the ball was cleared out of play.

In the 56th minute, Adel Taraabt finally scored the second goal of the afternoon in terrific style. Driving towards the Preston back four, he curled a beautiful shot into the top corner of the net, leaving Andy Lonergan with absolutely no chance. The Moroccan certainly seems to enjoy playing against the Lilywhites, having netted a spectacular goal against them last season.

That goal put an end to any hopes that Preston supporters might have had of their team getting back into the match. And, just five minutes later, Rangers almost netted a third when Adel Taraabt’s free kick caused chaos in PNE’s penalty area. With the ball bobbling about the box, Leon Clarke and Jamie Mackie both squandered chances to shoot from close range.

In the 75th minute, Taraabt could and probably should have scored a third goal for Queens Park Rangers. A sublime through-pass allowed him to progress into the penalty area. Despite Mackie and Hulse being in better positions, the Moroccan selfishly shot from a tight angle. This, of course, can be a negative aspect of Taraabt’s performances.

Seven minutes later, following the return of Martin Rowlands to first-team action at Loftus Road, Taraabt netted another wonder goal. Once again he picked up the ball 25 yards out from goal and drove a powerful effort into the roof of the net. Perhaps Lonergan could have done better, but this was certainly an excellent strike from the Moroccan.

Unfortunately, Queens Park Rangers weren't able to keep a clean sheet thanks to an error from Matthew Connolly. A curling cross caused confusion in the Rs' penalty area and, unfortunately, the former Arsenal man deflected the ball into his own net.

Full-time scoreline: Queens Park Rangers 3-1 Preston North End

Conclusion

This was not Queens Park Rangers' best performance and they were perhaps fortunate that the opposition were so poor. In my view, Fitz Hall and Leon Clarke are not good enough to be in the first team and might have been exposed by a stronger side. However, I was still able to leave Loftus Road feeling excited about the rest of the season, particularly next Saturday's clash against promotion rivals, Cardiff City.

Man of the match: Adel Taraabt - once again, a superb performance from the Moroccan. His two goals were magnificent and I just hope that he can make a similar impact next Saturday.