Saturday 20th November 2010
Npower Football League Championship
Loftus Road Stadium
Referee: D J Phillips
Kick-off: 15:00
Queens Park Rangers (2nd) V Preston North End (24th)
By The Godfather

Although they picked up two creditable draws against Portsmouth and Nottingham Forest, Queens Park Rangers have dropped to 2nd position in the league table. On Saturday afternoon Warnock’s men face Preston North End, a side that is struggling at the foot of the league table. Darren Ferguson is under pressure at Deepdale and cannot afford to lose this match. It should be a very interesting encounter.

Preston North End

Manager: Darren Ferguson

Season 2009-10 finish: 17th position

The Lilywhites have started the campaign very badly indeed, only taking 14 points from their 17 matches. With the exception of an incredible 4-6 victory over Leeds United, the team’s performances have tended to be lacklustre. Manager, Darren Ferguson, who achieved so much success during his spell with Peterborough United, is already dealing with pressure from the supporters. Of course, this is a club that is used to competing for the play-offs in this division, having come so close in 2005, losing to West Ham United in the Final at the Millennium Stadium. Preston are also suffering from very low attendances. Watching the “Football League Show” on a Saturday night, one cannot help noticing the thousands of empty seats around Deepdale.

However, there is still hope for Preston fans. Fortunately, their manager is the son of Sir Alex Ferguson, who this week has loaned one of his young stars, Richie de Laet, to the Lilywhites. Darren Ferguson has also secured the services of two more experienced midfielders, Danny Pugh and Michael Tonge, on temporary deals from Stoke City. The three players will be hoping to make an immediate impact at Loftus Road on Saturday afternoon.

Men to watch

Preston’s main attacking threat is Jon Parkin, a striker who has netted an impressive total of 7 goals so far this season. Nicknamed “the Beast” for his sheer physical presence, Parkin is a very effective forward at Championship level. The 28 year-old lists Hull, Macclesfield Town and Stoke City among his former clubs.

On-loan forward, Iain Hume, could partner Parkin in attack. At his best, the 27 year-old always causes the opposition problems. However, since suffering a fractured skull due to Chris Morgan’s elbow, he has not quite managed to recapture the form he enjoyed at Leicester earlier in his career. After failing to hold down a regular first team place at Barnsley, he signed for Preston on loan during the summer.

In midfield, as already mentioned, Michael Tonge could start against Queens Park Rangers. Neil Warnock will know the 28 year-old very well indeed, since Tonge spent seven years at Sheffield United, making over 250 appearances. Tonge is a hard-working and talented player who will provide a stern test for the likes of Faurlin in the middle of the park.

Another loan signing, Danny Pugh, could gain a place in the starting line-up on Saturday afternoon. The 28 year-old is now in his second spell with Preston North End, having spent two years with the Lilywhites between 2006 and 2008. The former Manchester United player can also fill in at left-back if required.

At the back, Darren Ferguson has the talented Sean St Ledger at his disposal, an Irish international defender who was once considered to be one of the best players outside of the Premiership. He has played for Preston since 2006, establishing himself as a first team regular and making 154 appearances. In 2009, he joined Middlesbrough on loan for a brief period, but his performances were disappointing and he returned to Deepdale.

On-loan Manchester United defender, Richie De Laet, is also likely to start against Queens Park Rangers. The 21 year-old initially joined Stoke City, but moved to Manchester United in 2009. He has already made several appearances for the Belgian international team and therefore clearly has potential.

Memorable match

October 2009 (extract from my match report): In my match preview I predicted a dull, scrappy encounter finishing in a 1-1 draw. How wrong was I? This was the best performance from Queens Park Rangers I have seen for a very long time, the Rs dismantling the North End defence with some exceptional skill and wonderful passing movements. I’m sure that even the most ardent of Preston fans would agree that their team was thoroughly outplayed and outfought by Magilton’s men. Each of the four goals was brilliantly worked, but Taraabt’s opener stood out as an early “goal of the season” candidate. In short, it is a pleasure to write about such an entertaining, and most importantly, successful display from the Super Hoops

Queens Park Rangers 4-0 Preston North End

QPR Team News

Unfortunately, Neil Warnock will be without Shaun Derry, who picked up his fifth yellow card of the season against Nottingham Forest. Martin Rowlands, Gavin Mahon or Mikele Leigertwood could replace him. Bradley Orr is still suspended, but Matthew Connolly is available after serving his one-match ban. Akos Buzsaky is still injured, whilst Lee Cook and Peter Ramage remain long-term absentees.

Prediction

Although this is a match against the side bottom of the league table, I am concerned. In my view, Shaun Derry has played an absolutely crucial role in our recent success and I fear that the midfield will lack energy on Saturday afternoon. Preston will be absolutely desperate to pick up at least a point here and I expect that they will adopt a defensive approach, probably ensuring that two men mark Taraabt. This will not be an easy game, but I’m going to predict a narrow victory for Warnock’s men.

Queens Park Rangers 1-0 Preston North End