Saturday 16th October 2010
Loftus Road Stadium
Npower Football League Championship
Referee: A Penn
Attendance: 18,059
Queens Park Rangers 0-0 Norwich City
By The Godfather

Queens Park Rangers starting line-up: Kenny, Walker, Gorkss, Connolly, Hill, Ephraim (Agyemang 69), Derry, Buzsaky (Leigertwood 26), Taraabt (Smith 77), Mackie, Helguson.

Norwich City starting line-up: Ruddy, Martin, Drury (S Smith 58), Crofts, Holt, Jackson, Hoolahan (Martin 69), K Smith, Lappin, Barnett, Ward.

This was an entertaining encounter between two teams that have enjoyed excellent starts to the campaign. Although a draw was probably a fair result, both sides had superb opportunities to win the match, most notably when Wes Hoolahan sent his first-half penalty wide of the target. Once again, the Rs produced a robust defensive display, but only managed to open up Norwich's back four on a few occasions.

As Millwall did before the international break, the Canaries managed to prevent the Super Hoops’ star players, such as Taraabt and Mackie, from having a major influence on proceedings. To be frank, this did concern me a little. Could it be that our Championship rivals have worked out how to pick up points at Loftus Road? I do sense that Queens Park Rangers lack a “Plan B”, something that Warnock might be looking to address once the likes of Hulse and Faurlin recover fully from injury.

I must give a special mention to Kyle Walker, who I thought produced an outstanding display in the right-back position. Not only did he make a significant defensive contribution, making a number of important interventions; he also proved to be a constant threat in attack, racing past the Norwich full-backs with ease. The fact that he is keeping the experienced Bradley Orr out of the side demonstrates that he has an abundance of talent and potential. Hopefully Warnock will be able to keep him for the whole season.

Warnock selected the same side that beat Crystal Palace two weeks ago, with Helguson, Mackie and Ephraim occupying the attacking positions. Taraabt operated in a ‘free’ role, with Derry and Buzsaky taking up central midfield. The back four consisted of Hill, Connolly, Gorkss and Walker, with Paddy Kenny retaining the goalkeeping place. Alejandro Faurlin and Bradley Orr were named on the substitutes’ bench following their recoveries from their respective injuries.

Queens Park Rangers forced the first opportunity of the match with just twenty minutes on the clock. Taraabt was the provider, gaining possession in central midfield and playing a delightful through-pass, allowing Mackie to bear down on goal. To my despair, the Norwich goalkeeper was able to race off his goal-line and gather the ball before Mackie could reach it.

At the other end, Grant Holt, who proved to be a constant thorn in Rangers’ side, almost took the lead for the Canaries. The aggressive striker managed to outmuscle Matthew Connolly and progress into the penalty area, forcing a decent fisted save from Paddy Kenny.

To the Rs’ credit, they responded to that scare almost immediately, thanks to a well-taken corner from Taraabt. The Moroccan found Mackie at the far post, who managed to chest the ball down and knock it back to Kaspars Gorkss. Unfortunately, the Latvian’s resulting effort was deflected just wide of the target.

At this point, Akos Buzsaky was beginning to struggle with an injury he had sustained. Despite attempting to carry on, it was soon clear that he could not continue. Warnock replaced him with Mikele Leigertwood, leaving the team with a lack of creativity in the middle of the park. However, I can understand why Faurlin was not called upon so soon after his injury. Hopefully the Hungarian’s problem is not too serious: we will know more after his scan on Monday.

Then, it seemed that disaster had struck. A deep cross from the left-hand side seemed to be heading towards Grant Holt, who then tumbled to the floor after pressure from Clint Hill. Consequently, the referee awarded a spot-kick. From my angle, it seemed that both players were tugging each other’s shirts and therefore the decision might have gone either way. Hoolahan stepped up to take the set piece and, luckily, sent the ball rolling wide of Kenny’s left-hand post. I have to say, this was one of the worst penalty kicks I have seen at Loftus Road for some time. Even if it had been on target I think Kenny would have saved it comfortably.

Half-time scoreline: Queens Park Rangers 0-0 Norwich City

The second half was relatively quiet in terms of opportunities. It would be accurate to suggest that Queens Park Rangers were the ones who looked most likely to score, although there were chances at both ends.

Ten minutes after the break, the outstanding performer of the afternoon, Kyle Walker, almost took the lead for the home team. Receiving the ball 30 yards out from goal, the Tottenham loanee unleashed a powerful drive that seemed to be heading for the top corner. However, frustratingly, Walker’s shot deflected off Mackie and over the crossbar. A lucky escape for the Canaries.

At the other end, Grant Holt squandered another golden opportunity to break the deadlock, receiving the ball from Hoolahan on the left-hand side of the penalty area. However, the 29 year-old’s touch was far too heavy and he eventually scooped his effort well over the crossbar.

In the 80th minute, Queens Park Rangers’ best chance of the match fell to Heidar Helguson, who possibly could have done better with his effort. Hill’s long ball found the Icelandic free in the penalty area, only for Helguson to send his header flying over the crossbar.

Then, with just a minute left on the clock, Kaspars Gorkss almost scored another of his trademark headers. Smith’s corner found Helguson at the far post, who knocked the ball back to Gorkss inside the six yard box. Unfortunately, the Latvian’s effort was blocked on the goalline, with Norwich somehow able to scramble it away to safety.

Bookings: Hill (27), Mackie (60), Ward (38), Lappin (89).

Full-time scoreline: Queens Park Rangers 0-0 Norwich City

Conclusion

As already mentioned, a draw was probably a fair result, despite the fact that Queens Park Rangers piled on the pressure during the latter stages of the match. The Rs continue to look well organised, keeping their shape effectively. However, the combination of Derry and Leigertwood did not provide the team with much creativity. I expect that Faurlin will replace the injured Buzsaky on Tuesday night, as "Legs" is clearly not skilled enough to fulfil this role.

Man of the match: Kyle Walker - This has proved to be an excellent signing by Warnock. Walker has proved to be an asset to QPR over the last few weeks, with his pace and skill providing a real threat down the right flank.