Saturday 16th October 2010
Npower Football League Championship
Loftus Road Stadium
Kick-off: 15:00
Referee: A M Penn
Queens Park Rangers (1st) V Norwich City (3rd)
By The Godfather

Saturday afternoon's fixture promises to be an entertaining encounter between two sides that have enjoyed excellent starts to the campaign. Whilst Queens Park Rangers are unbeaten and sit six points clear at the top of the league table, newly-promoted Norwich City have proved to be somewhat of a surprise package so far this season. I just hope that the two-week international break has not interrupted the Rs' momentum, although it has offered the likes of Faurlin and Orr an opportunity to recover from their respective injuries.

Norwich City

Season 2009-10 finish: 1st (League One).

Manager: Paul Lambert

For some time it appeared that Norwich City would struggle in League One, suffering an embarrassing 7-1 defeat at the hands of local rivals, Colchester United, on the opening day of the season. However, following the appointment of Paul Lambert as manager, there was suddenly a real sense of stability and purpose about the Canaries. They eventually stormed to the league title, reclaiming their Championship status within a year.

During the summer, Lambert sought to bolster his squad with a number of proven Championship players, including the talented Andrew Surman. The club also managed to secure the services of young Gillingham striker, Simeon Jackson, who scored a brace in the Canaries' previous match against Bristol City. In my WATRB Season Preview, I mentioned how I thought that these were astute signings and I felt that Norwich would achieve success in the 2010/11 campaign.

Like Queens Park Rangers, their team seems to have gelled very quickly indeed, winning six out of their ten league matches. However, one senses that their defence still needs improvement, as the Canaries have conceded thirteen goals. Perhaps Warnock's men will be able to exploit this vulnerability on Saturday afternoon.

Men to watch

1. As already mentioned, Simeon Jackson will be feeling confident about this fixture following his excellent performance at Ashton Gate. After a two-year spell with Gillingham, during which he netted 35 goals in 101 appearances, he signed for the Canaries during the summer in a part-exchange deal. The 23 year-old has also earned 13 caps for Canada. He is likely to pose a threat on Saturday afternoon.

2. Fans' favourite, Grant Holt, could partner Jackson in attack. The 29 year-old was instrumental in Norwich's promotion to the second tier, scoring an impressive total of 30 goals in all competitions last season. He has an abundance of experience in the Football League, having played for Sheffield Wednesday, Nottingham Forest, Blackpool and Shrewsbury.

3. In midfield, Andrew Surman, a player whom I have always rated at this level, should retain his position. The 24 year-old started his career with Southampton, making 133 appearances over a five-year spell. Surman joined Norwich after a disappointing period with Wolverhampton Wanders, during which he was unable to hold down a regular place in the first team.

Previous Match

March 2009 - Norwich City ended their seven-match winless run with a victory over Paulo Sousa's Queens Park Rangers team at Loftus Road. In an uneventful first half, the Canaries almost won a penalty, only for the referee to change his mind following advice from the linesman. The home side carved out plenty of opportunities after the break, squandering all of them. Against the run of play, Darel Russell scored the winner in the 68th minute, firing into the bottom corner of the net after a defensive mix-up in the penalty area.

Queens Park Rangers manager, Paulo Sousa: "I am very enthusiastic about my team and I'm proud of them. We played great football and created a lot of opportunities. Norwich made one shot and one goal. Sometimes it's like that - you don't get what you deserve. I have told my players I am not only proud of them when we win, but also when we lose, and I am proud of them."

Queens Park Rangers 0-1 Norwich City

QPR Team News

Bradley Orr and Alejandro Faurlin are both back in contention for starting places following their injuries. However, Akos Buzsaky and Kyle Walker (whose loan contract has been extended) are likely to retain their positions in the first eleven. Fitz Hall could be named on the substitutes' bench, whilst Rob Hulse is making good progress on his achilles problem. Lee Cook and Peter Ramage remain long-term absentees.

Prediction

Norwich have scored in each of their last 32 away matches and I am sure that they will provide a stern test for Neil Warnock's men on Saturday afternoon. In my view, they boast a very strong squad, with a number of players who are capable of causing serious problems for the Super Hoops' defence. However, in front of what is likely to be a packed Loftus Road, I fancy QPR to take the three points, perhaps by a single goal.

Queens Park Rangers 2-1 Norwich City