Saturday 18th September 2010
The Walkers Stadium
Npower Football League Championship
Kick-off: 15:00
Referee: G D Scott
Leicester City (20th) V Queens Park Rangers (1st)
By The Godfather

This is really shaping up to be a season to remember for Queens Park Rangers. Frankly, I would have been content with a point at Portman Road on Tuesday night. Instead, Warnock's men inflicted a heavy defeat on Ipswich Town, putting them three points clear at the top of the league table. Saturday's match, however, is likely to be a more even affair. Former QPR manager, Paulo Sousa, is known for his defensive tactics and will aim to prevent the Rs' star players, such as Adel Taraabt, from influencing proceedings.

Leicester City

2009-10 finish: 5th position

Manager: Paulo Sousa

Under the guidance of Nigel Pearson, a manager I rate very highly, Leicester reached the play-offs last season, losing out on penalties to Cardiff City. Sousa replaced him during the summer, facing the difficult task of meeting supporters' high expectations for the 2010/11 campaign.

I mentioned in my WATRB Championship Preview that Sousa might find it difficult to work with a team that was so eager to attack last season. I remember being very impressed with Leicester in the fixture last year, their strength and pace proving too much for the Super Hoops' back four. Therefore, I am not surprised that the Foxes have made an unremarkable start to the campaign, currently lying in 20th position.

However, team morale will have been boosted by a 2-1 victory over Cardiff on Tuesday night. Sousa apparently selected a more positive 4-3-3 formation and could well use the same system on Saturday afternoon. Let's hope that Warnock has identified its weaknesses.

Men to watch

Up front, Leicester City have the experienced Steve Howard, a striker who will always cause the opposition problems in this division. The 34 year-old is known for his aerial ability, which has served him well over an illustrious 15-year career. Before joining the Foxes in 2008, Howard had enjoyed successful spells with Hartlepool, Northampton, Luton and Derby.

Martyn Waghorn is likely to partner Howard in attack. He joined Leicester on a permanent deal on transfer deadline day after having played a key role in the club's success under Nigel Pearson. He netted 12 goals last season, forming an excellent striking partnership with Matty Fryatt in the process. The 20 year-old could pose a threat on Saturday afternoon.

Leicester's star forward, Fryatt, has so far seen his first-team opportunities limited under Paulo Sousa, despite having scored 13 goals last season. Perhaps he is still struggling to recover from the injury that saw him miss most of the latter half of the 2009/10 campaign. Expect him to be on the substitutes' bench against Queens Park Rangers.

Lloyd Dyer is likely to start on the wing, a player whom Queens Park Rangers fans might remember from a brief loan spell at Loftus Road in 2005. Since then, he has spent time with Millwall and MK Dons, joining Leicester in 2008. The 28 year-old has become popular with the supporters at the Walkers Stadium, earning praise for his pace and skill on the ball.

In the middle of the park, the talented Richie Wellens is likely to retain his position. The 30 year-old offers the team creativity and experience, having established himself as a first-team regular since his move to the Walkers Stadium in 2009. The former Manchester United, Blackpool, Oldham and Doncaster man will provide a stern test for Queens Park Rangers.

At the back, Sousa will be relying upon Michael Morrison. At the age of only 22, he has already made over 150 league appearances. The centre-half signed for Leicester in 2008, after a successful three-year period with Cambridge United. Morrison can also play at right back if required.

In goal, Leicester may select Carl Ikeme, a keeper who spent much of last season on loan at Queens Park Rangers. I have to say that he didn't impress me. He was one of those goalkeepers who made me feel nervous every time he had to deal with a cross or a set piece. If he starts, hopefully Warnock's men will expose his vulnerability on Saturday afternoon.

Previous Match

April 2010 - Leicester City ended a run of four straight defeats with a 4-0 victory over struggling Queens Park Rangers at the Walkers Stadium. Despite dominating much of the match, the Rs failed to take their opportunities and were made to pay. Goals from King, Howard and a brace from Waghorn sealed the three points for the home side.

Leicester City 4-0 Queens Park Rangers

QPR Team News

Alejandro Faurlin will undergo a late fitness test following his injury on Tuesday night, with Akos Buzsaky or Mikele Leigertwood ready to replace him. Kyle Walker is likely to retain his place at right back, as Bradley Orr is still recovering from a calf problem. Sadly, Peter Ramage will miss the rest of the season with anterior cruciate ligament damage, whilst Lee Cook remains a long-term absentee. Martin Rowlands could return to first-team action within the next two weeks.

Prediction

Paulo Sousa's departure from Queens Park Rangers still causes much discussion on the message boards. The way in which he lost his job seemed very unfair. Yet I can't help thinking that, in the long-term, it was probably for the best. If he were still in charge, would the Rs be sitting at the top of the league table? Would Flavio Briatore still be running the club? These are points to consider.

I suspect that the match itself will be quite even. Despite their poor start to the campaign, Leicester do have a very strong squad, as illustrated above. Once again, I would be happy with a point from this match, and that is what I am going to predict.

Leicester City 1-1 Queens Park Rangers