Tuesday 14th September 2010
Npower Football League Championship
Portman Road Stadium
Referee: K P Stroud
Kick-off: 19:45
Ipswich Town (3rd) V Queens Park Rangers (1st)
By The Godfather

After another outstanding performance against Middlesbrough, Neil Warnock further boosted his defensive options with the acquisition of young Tottenham defender, Kyle Walker, on a one-month loan deal. Walker was apparently persuaded to sign by Adel Taraabt and will be hoping to make a similar impact to the Moroccan at Loftus Road. From what I have read, it seems like he is highly rated at White Hart Lane and I look forward to seeing him in a hooped shirt.

On Tuesday night, Queens Park Rangers face arguably their toughest test yet when they travel to Ipswich Town, a team that has also started the campaign very well indeed. The Rs have struggled at Portman Road in recent years, but will fancy their chances following that terrific victory over Middlesbrough.

Ipswich Town

Manager: Roy Keane

Season 2009-10 finish: 15th position

Last season was a rather bizarre one for Ipswich Town. They failed to win a match until the end of October and at one stage it seemed that manager, Roy Keane, who had previously led Sunderland to promotion, would lose his job. Fortunately for the Tractor Boys, the team's form improved during the latter half of the campaign, with Keane eventually guiding them to a respectable 15th-placed finish.

Expectations are much higher this season. The supporters are aiming for a play-off challenge at the very least after such an unremarkable 2009/10 campaign. And things have certainly started well. Ipswich have picked up 11 points from their five matches and could go top if they manage to beat Queens Park Rangers.

Men to watch

Ipswich's main attacking threat will be Jason Scotland, a man who has earned himself a reputation as a prolific goalscorer over the course of his career. The 31 year-old enjoyed a terrific spell with St Johnstone before joining Swansea City in 2007. He went on to score 45 goals in 90 matches for the Swans, attracting the interest of Premiership Wigan, who signed him in 2009. After struggling to break into the first team, he signed for Ipswich in August on a two-year deal. He has already netted for the Tractor Boys and will be feeling confident about Tuesday night's encounter. I'm sure Warnock has identified this threat.

Former QPR loanee, Tamas Priskin, could partner Scotland in attack. During his brief spell at Loftus Road last season, Priskin became unpopular with the supporters for performances that many perceived to be lacklustre. Upon his return to Ipswich, however, Keane seems to have agreed to give him an opportunity to impress. He started last Saturday's match against Portsmouth and will be hoping to retain his place in the starting line-up. Let's hope that the Hungarian international doesn't prove a point against his former club.

In central midfield, Ipswich Town will be relying upon Grant Leadbitter, a player who has proven that he has what it takes to succeed in the Championship. A member of Roy Keane's promotion-winning Sunderland squad, he found his first-team opportunities limited in the Premiership and made the move to Portman Road in 2009. The 24 year-old has since made 38 appearances, netting three goals in the process.

On the wing, the talented Carlos Edwards is likely to start for the Tractor Boys. The 31 year-old enjoyed successful periods with Wrexham, Luton and Sunderland, before joining Ipswich in 2009. With bags of pace and skill, the Trinidad and Tobogian international could pose a threat on Tuesday night.

In the heart of defence, expect Gareth McAuley to retain his place in the team. The 30 year-old is very experienced in the Championship, having produced some fine performances during his time with Leicester City. He signed for Town in 2008 and has since made 76 appearances for the club.

At left back, another former Ranger, Damien Delaney, could play against his former club. His first season at Loftus Road was very impressive, but there seemed to be a change in his attitude after his call-up to the Republic of Ireland squad. The 29 year-old ended up being rather unpopular with the QPR supporters. If he is involved on Tuesday night, it will be interesting to see how he fares.

Marton Fulop will probably keep his place in goal against Queens Park Rangers. The Hungarian international has played for many clubs, including Tottenham, Coventry, Sunderland, Leicester and Manchester City. He joined Ipswich during the summer and could play a crucial role in the club's promotion bid.

Team News

Kyle Walker is likely to make his QPR debut on Tuesday night, with both Bradley Orr and Peter Ramage out injured. Rob Hulse is still unavailable through an achilles problem, whilst Martin Rowlands is still a couple of weeks away from first-team action. Fitz Hall is unlikely to be involved and Lee Cook remains a long-term absentee.

Prediction

I expect that this will quite an even encounter. Both teams will be high on confidence after their excellent starts to the campaign and the two squads look very strong on paper. If the Rs' playmakers, such as Taraabt and Faurlin, are allowed to influence proceedings, I think that the Super Hoops will have the edge over the opposition. However, I expect that Keane will instruct his players to close them down as soon as possible. Therefore, I'm going to predict a draw, with Warnock's men perhaps losing top spot to Cardiff.

Ipswich Town 1-1 Queens Park Rangers