Soaring costs inspire parking-share website

A free matchmaking service to allow people to park cheaply and safely on otherwise unused driveways and private parking spaces is seeking members to help counteract the soaring costs of public parking.
With council funding being relentlessly squeezed, many boroughs are pursuing a policy of pay-parking on hitherto free residential streets. This is adding to the pain of commuters, shoppers and hospital visitors who already feel stung by what they see as exorbitant charges at town centre multi-storeys, pay and display bays and station car parks. Nor is this limited to car users, with councils floating the idea of motorcycle users having to pay too.
The Park-UK website aims to circumvent this profiteering. And lest it be accused of merely undercutting the expensive alternatives, it makes no money whatsoever from people searching for a parking space or offering one.
"I'd be happy if the revenue from the ads on the site merely covered costs,” says founder Wayne Clatworthy.
“I wanted to give something back. I'd spent years in the rat race, and ended up burning out and emigrating to Australia. Now that I'm back, I asked myself what I could do that I felt was worthwhile.”
Anyone looking for parking can use the versatile online search function, while those with spaces to offer can very easily register to post their details. They then earn all the revenue from arrangements to park on their property – no commission goes to Park-UK.
“I hope sharing like this appeals to people,” says Wayne. “Those who need parking can save a lot of money, while those with spare space can earn some money they wouldn't otherwise have. Everyone benefits. Except the official car parks, of course…”
www.park-uk.com is a fully functional site, including an option for journey sharing to save even more money. The goal now is to increase awareness and maybe generate a bit of a snowball effect, so that the tens of thousands of under-used parking spaces across the country can offset the spiralling costs of the more profit-oriented operations.

For more information visit the web site www.park-uk.com or contact
Your Park-UK.com team
PO Box 2128, Hockley SS5 9AP
Email: admin@park-uk.com