Millwall

Manager: Kenny Jackett

Season 2009-10 finish: 3rd position (League One play-off winners).

Ins: Shaun Batt (Peterborough United - undisclosed), Tamika Mkandawira (Leyton Orient - free), Steve Mildenhall (Southend United - free), Kevin Lisbie (Ipswich Town - loan), James Henry (Reading - undisclosed).

Out: Dave Martin (Derby County - undisclosed), Jason Price (Carlisle United - free).

So, after four years, Championship teams will once again have the pleasure of welcoming Millwall and its supporters to their stadiums. The Lions deservedly achieved promotion through the League One play-offs, beating Swindon Town in the final at Wembley. Survival will be Jackett's main objective this season - and, given the lack of quality in their squad, a relegation battle does seem likely. The question is will they manage to pick up the points needed to avoid a return to League One?

The manager has brought in five players this summer. Striker, Kevin Lisbie, has signed for the Lions on a season-long loan from Ipswich Town. A few years ago he scored 17 goals for Colchester United in this division and he will be hoping to replicate that success in a blue shirt. Meanwhile, Jackett has secured the services of Peterborough forward, Shaun Batt, who spent the latter half of the 2009/10 campaign with the London club. Furthermore, 21 year-old Reading midfielder, James Henry, has penned a deal for an undisclosed fee. In addition, two lower-league players, Tamika Mkandawira (midfielder) and Steve Mildenhall (goalkeeper), have moved to the New Den. Whether they have what it takes to make an impact in the Championship remains to be seen.

Millwall will also be relying upon record scorer, Neil Harris, to get the goals needed in order to preserve the Lions' Championship status. The 33 year-old, who has netted 122 times for the club, is clinical inside the penalty area. He should not be underestimated, even though he is approaching the end of his career.

Although there is no doubt that the Lions have one of the weaker squads in the Championship, I think that they will stay up. The New Den can be a very intimidating stadium for opposing players and I predict that they will pick up a high proportion of their points at home. I do not, however, expect them to be quite so successful on their travels.

Godfather's Prediction: 20th position

Norwich City

Manager: Paul Lambert

Season 2009-10 finish: 1st position (League One).

Ins: David Fox (Colchester - undisclosed), Andrew Crofts (Brighton - undisclosed), Elliott Ward (Coventry City - free), Steven Smith (Rangers - free), Andrew Surman (Wolves - undisclosed), John Ruddy (Everton - undisclosed), Simeon Jackson (Gillingham - undisclosed).

Outs: Danny Kelly (Barnet - free), Michael Spillane (Brentford - undisclosed), David Stephens (Hibernian - free).

When Colchester United thrashed Norwich by 7 goals to 1 on the first day of the 2009/10 campaign, it seemed that an immediate return to the Championship for Delia Smith's club was out of the question. In fact, the Canaries pinched their East Anglian rivals' manager, Paul Lambert, and went on to win the division with ease. With a talented coach in charge and a number of new signings, it will certainly be interesting to see how City fare next season. Could they be surprise promotion candidates?

Lambert has already achieved plenty of success whilst still a young manager. In only his second coaching role, he took Wycombe Wanderers to the League Cup semi-finals in 2008. An impressive spell at Colchester followed, before he moved to Carrow Road. I am sure that he will be relishing his first taste of Championship football.

Over the course of the summer, the manager has strengthened his squad, embarking upon somewhat of a spending spree. He has made a total of seven additions, including the talented Simeon Jackson, a striker who has previously been mentioned as a potential signing on the QPR message boards. Jackson earned a reputation as a prolific goalscorer during his excellent two-year period with Gillingham. Norwich fans will be hoping that he can continue his terrific form next season. Andrew Surman is also an interesting addition: he is someone who has always impressed me at this level, particularly during his time with Southampton. He will offer the team pace and skill on the flank. Furthermore, David Fox has joined the Canaries from Colchester United. The 26 year-old is a talented midfielder who will bring some much-needed experience and stability to the team. Elliott Ward (defender), Andrew Crofts (midfielder) and John Ruddy (goalkeeper) will also be wearing Norwich jerseys for the first time.

Moreover, Lambert will be hoping that star striker, Grant Holt, can continue his goalscoring form next season, after he netted 24 times in League One last season. The 29 year-old will certainly provide an aerial threat, and I have no doubt that he will prove to be a thorn in opponents' sides over the course of the 2010/11 campaign.

In conclusion, I have a feeling that City could be a surprise package next season. Many people expect newly promoted teams to struggle, but I don't think that this will be the case for the Canaries. They have a decent squad, with a number of players who will thrive in such a fast and physical division. Plus, Paul Lambert is a manager who appears to possess both tactical and motivational skills. In short, I wouldn't be surprised to see Norwich sneak into the top six.

Godfather's Prediction: 6th position.

Nottingham Forest

Manager: Billy Davies

Season 2009-10 finish: 3rd position.

Ins: Radoslaw Majewski (Polonia Warsaw - £1 million).

Outs: James Perch (Newcastle United - undisclosed), Mark Byrne (Barnet - loan), Joe Garner (Huddersfield Town - loan).

Despite a successful 2009/10 campaign, Forest had to suffer the agony of losing in the play-off semi-finals, being beaten comfortably by Ian Holloway's Blackpool side. Supporters will be hoping that Billy Davies' men can bounce back from that disappointment and challenge for automatic promotion once again.

It is clear that Davies is quite happy with the current squad at his disposal, having only made one signing so far (Radoslaw Majewski, who enjoyed a highly successful loan spell with the Reds last season). And, frankly, why shouldn't he be? Nottingham Forest are strong in every department, with a mixture of youth and experience. Up front, Earnshaw, Blackstock and McGoldrick are bound to score goals, whilst the likes of Cohen, Anderson and Majewski will provide the team with creativity. Defensively, the Reds also look robust, with the experienced Wes Morgan leading the back-line. Meanwhile, former QPR goalkeeper, Lee Camp, will be hoping to replicate the calibre of performances he displayed last season.

It is important to note that this is a side that has already gelled, which could put them at an advantage over other promotion candidates. However, in my view, a lot will depend on how Davies and his team respond to their disappointment in last season's play-offs. Could this have damaged team spirit? The manager must instil a sense of belief among his players.

In conclusion, I expect Nottingham Forest to be firm contenders for the automatic promotion places. I do feel that Middlesbrough and Burnley have a slight edge over the Reds, but it's probably going to be very, very close. However, I sense that they may have to settle for a play-off place once again.

Godfather's Prediction: 3rd position.

Portsmouth

Manager: Steve Cotterill

Season 2009-10 finish: 20th position.

Ins: Ibrahim Sonko (Stoke City - loan).

Outs: Lennard Sowah (Hamburg SV), Nadir Belhadj (Al-Sadd - undisclosed), Florent Cuvelier (Stoke City - undisclosed).

It is fair to say that Portsmouth FC is in crisis. Dreadful mismanagement of the club's finances has left Pompey with debts on a shocking scale, resulting in administration and a strong threat of liquidation. As a consequence, their relegation from the Premiership was inevitable, finishing bottom of the table. Although a CVA (Company Voluntary Agreement) was agreed in June, HM Revenue and Customs have appealed against the decision, meaning that Pompey have been placed under a transfer embargo. This is a major problem given that the first team squad currently consists of only 15 players! One has to feel sorry for new boss, Steve Cotterill. This is going to be an incredibly difficult job, with such limited funds at his disposal.

On the positive side, Portsmouth's 15 squad members should perform well in this division. The likes of David Nugent, Tommy Smith and Michael Brown have all achieved success in the Championship. Meanwhile, Aaron Mokoena, John Utaka and Kevin-Prince Boateng all competed in this year's World Cup. These are players who should shine in the Championship and would probably fit into a promotion-winning team.

Pompey's supporters will be hoping that the club can replicate Newcastle United's success last season. The Magpies won the division with ease, despite suffering financial troubles and severe instability at the start of the campaign. Unfortunately, though, Portsmouth's problems appear to be far more serious.

Obviously a lot depends on whether the Board can achieve some financial stability. With a transfer embargo in place, Cotterill is going to have to rely upon loans and free transfers. This is, of course, far from ideal. Things need to be sorted off the pitch - and very quickly. Unless this happens, I can see Portsmouth struggling next season, possibly sinking into lower mid-table and perhaps even a relegation battle if they're not careful.

Godfather's Prediction: 15th position

Preston North End

Manager: Darren Ferguson

Season 2009-10 finish: 17th position

Ins: Paul Hayes (Scunthorpe United - free), Matthew James (Manchester United - loan), Wayne Brown (Leicester City - free), Craig Morgan (Peterborough United - £400K).

Outs: Chris Sedgwick (Sheffield Wednesday - free), Neil Mellor (Sheffield Wednesday - loan), Ross Wallace (Burnley - undisclosed), Niell Collins (Leeds United - undisclosed), Eddie Nolan (Scunthorpe United - loan).

Last season was a rather disappointing one for Preston North End. Supporters were hoping that the club would be able to build upon its success in the 2008/09 campaign, which saw them reach the play-offs. Instead, to the fans' despair, the Lilywhites struggled, resulting in the departure of Alan Irvine and the subsequent arrival of former Peterborough manager, Darren Ferguson.

During his spell with the Posh, Ferguson, son of Sir Alex, achieved a lot of success, securing back-to-back promotions. In the Championship, however, Peterborough simply weren't able to pick up points. With the team bottom of the table, he left the club by mutual consent, eventually joining Preston in January. This summer, he has sought to shift out some of the longer-serving squad members, such as Neil Mellor, Chris Sedgwick and Eddie Nolan, replacing them with younger players. In my view, Paul Hayes could prove to be an excellent addition: he made a real impact in the division last season with Scunthorpe, building an effective strike partnership with Gary Hooper. North End didn't even have to pay a penny for him. Meanwhile, Fergie Junior has taken advantage of his links with Manchester United, securing the services of talented defensive midfielder, Matthew James, on a loan deal. The 19 year-old has bags of potential and could succeed at this level. Craig Morgan has also joined from Peterborough, a right back who established himself as a first-team regular during Ferguson's time there. The 25 year-old is a Welsh international with 20 caps for his country. Finally, Wayne Brown will bring some much-needed experience to the Lilywhites' defence, having enjoyed successful spells with Colchester, Hull and Leicester.

Preston will also be relying upon key players, Sean St Ledger and Jon Parkin. The former is widely regarded as one of the best centre-backs outside of the Premiership and will be hoping to continue his form into the next campaign. Meanwhile, the latter, nicknamed "the Beast" due to his sheer size, has posed a real aerial threat over the last few years in this division. He will be confident that he can at least match the ten goals he netted last season.

Preston will feel the loss of Ross Wallace sorely. He was the main source of creativity for the side last season, producing some excellent crosses for the likes of Jon Parkin to convert. It will be interesting to see how North End cope without him.

Although Ferguson will be hoping to push for a top-half finish, I am not sure that the squad is capable of this. The Championship is likely to be tougher than last season, and I'm not sure that Ferguson has enough quality players at his disposal, so I am predicting them to finish in 17th position.

Godfather's Prediction: 17th position.

Queens Park Rangers

Manager: Neil Warnock

Season 2009-10 finish: 13th position.

Ins: Jamie Mackie (Plymouth Argyle - undisclosed), Leon Clarke (Sheffield Wednesday - free), Paddy Kenny (Sheffield United - 750K), Shaun Derry (Crystal Palace - free), Clint Hill (unattached), Bradley Orr (Bristol City - undisclosed).

Outs: Angelo Balanta (MK Dons - loan), Matteo Alberti (AC Lumezzane - loan), Damion Stewart (Bristol City).

After guiding Queens Park Rangers to 13th position last season, Neil Warnock has sought to bolster his squad this summer with Championship experience. This has made a refreshing change from previous years, when we have had to watch our various managers bring in unknown players from abroad (Tchakounte, Oliseh, Ledesma, Parejo, Pellicori etc). At least the likes of Kenny, Derry, Hill and Orr know what it takes to achieve success in this physical, aggressive division.

Defensively, it seems that the Rs are looking pretty strong. Derry is a decent midfielder at this level and should provide extra protection for the back four. Orr, meanwhile, is a defender who I rate very highly: he became a favourite with the supporters at Bristol City, making over 200 appearances for the club. Clint Hill is also someone who has bags of experience in the Championship and should prove to be solid in either the fullback or centre-half position. In goal, Paddy Kenny is arguably one of the best keepers in the league and will provide a stern test for opposing forwards.

However, I think most Rs fans would agree that we desperately need a proven goalscorer. It really is painfully obvious and I just hope that Warnock is making efforts to address this issue. Although they may well be useful players to have, Mackie and Clarke do not strike me as prolific strikers. In addition, I am disappointed to see that the manager has not shifted out the deadwood with a number of players still on board who do not deserve to wear the hooped shirt.

I do have faith in Warnock: he is a manager who is proven in this division and possesses both tactical and motivational skill. However, he has stated that he wants to achieve promotion next season. For me, the current squad is simply not up to that. The Rs need three or four more players before they can establish themselves as serious contenders for the top six.

In conclusion, I have no doubt that the Rs will be far more difficult to beat than they were last season. Expect to see a change in our style of play: it is probably going to be far more aggressive and not particularly attractive to watch. Like it or not, this tactic is often very effective in the Championship. However, for the reasons already stated (and I am judging the squad as it is at the time of writing), I am going to predict that the Super Hoops will miss out on a play-off place. Of course, I hope I'm wrong.

Godfather's Prediction: 10th position.

Reading

Manager: Brian McDermott

Season 2009-10 finish: 9th position

Ins: Marcus Williams (Scunthorpe United - free), Andy Griffin (Stoke City - 500K).

Outs: Andy White (Gillingham - free), Kalifa Cisse (Bristol City - undisclosed), James Henry (Millwall - undisclosed).

After a dreadful start to the 2009/10 campaign, Brendan Rodgers was replaced with Brian McDermott as Reading manager. Remarkably, he quickly transformed the Royals from relegation candidates into play-off contenders, eventually achieving a creditable 9th-placed finish. With what appears to be a strong squad of players, can Reading contend for the play-offs?

McDermott has made two signings so far this summer. Marcus Williams has joined the Royals on a free transfer, after turning down a contract renewal offer from Scunthorpe United. The 24 year-old is a very talented fullback, having made over 100 appearances during a highly successful seven-year spell with Scunny. Furthermore, the talented Andy Griffin has moved to the Madejski Stadium for a fee of 500K. The 31 year-old fullback has an abundance of experience both at Championship and Premiership level, listing Newcastle, Portsmouth and Derby among his former clubs.

Reading's star player is young Icelandic central midfielder, Gylfi Sigurdsson, who netted 16 goals for the club last season. The 20 year-old offers the team pace, skill and creativity and could play a crucial role next season. However, if he continues his excellent form, I think that the Royals may find it difficult to ward off interest from Premiership clubs. Other key players include striker, Shane Long, winger, Jobi McAnuff (who has been linked with a move to QPR), and central defender (and Captain), Ivar Ingimarsson.

In conclusion, I wouldn't be surprised to see Reading among the contenders for the top-six. McDermott does indeed have a very strong squad at his disposal and, providing that he can keep his key players, should be able to achieve a successful campaign. However, I do feel that they may just miss out on the play-off positions, given the quality of the other candidates.

Godfather's Prediction: 7th position.

Scunthorpe United

Manager: Nigel Adkins

Season 2009-10 finish: 20th position.

Ins: Chris Dagnall (free, Rochdale), Bobby Grant (260k, Accrington Stanley), Michael Collins (undisclosed, Huddersfield Town), Eddie Nolan (loan, Preston North End)

Outs: Peter Winn (free, Stevenage Borough), Paul Hayes (free, Preston North End), Marcus Williams (free, Reading), Grant McCann (free, Peterborough United), Matt Sparrow (free, Brighton), Josh Lillis (loan, Rochdale), Gary Hooper (2.4m, Celtic)

To be perfectly frank, I was very surprised that Scunthorpe United managed to avoid relegation last season. Although their team played some attractive football, they lacked quality across the pitch. In truth, their survival was mainly down to the formidable striking partnership of Paul Hayes and Gary Hooper, which caused opposing defences a lot of problems. Now, Scunny will have to cope without their two star forwards, with both players having moved to other clubs. So, where are the goals going to come from?

Manager, Nigel Adkins, a former physiotherapist, has made four signings so far this summer, three of which come from the lower leagues. Striker, Chris Dagnall, has joined from Rochdale, having fired the Manchester club to promotion from League Two. Could he be a worthy replacement for Paul Hayes? Bobby Grant is another forward who will be hoping to make an impact in the Championship next season, having enjoyed a successful spell with Accrington Stanley. Other additions include experienced midfielder, Eddie Nolan, and anchorman, Michael Collins.

Despite these new signings, it has to be said that Scunthorpe's squad is looking very weak indeed. Very few of their players are proven at this level of football and I cannot help thinking that had it not been for Hooper and Hayes, they would have succumbed to relegation last season. I'm afraid that, in such a tough division, Scunny are going to really struggle. Unfortunately for fans of Lincolnshire club, I predict League One football for the 2011/12 campaign.

Godfather's Prediction: 24th position

Sheffield United

Manager: Kevin Blackwell.

Season 2009-10 finish: 8th position.

Ins: Johannes Ertl (free, Crystal Palace), Simon Walton (loan, Plymouth Argyle), Rob Kozluk (unattached), Nyron Nosworthy (loan, Sunderland).

Outs: Gary Naysmith (free, Huddersfield Town), Paddy Kenny (750k, Queens Park Rangers), Ian Bennett (free, Huddersfield Town), Jordon Stewart (undisclosed, Skoda Xanthi), Billy Sharp (1.15m, Doncaster Rovers)

Kevin Blackwell is another manager who favours a very direct, unattractive style of football. Queens Park Rangers faced Sheffield United four times last season, encounters that were all thoroughly unpleasant to watch. However, as I've already mentioned in this preview, there is no doubt that by opting for the aggressive approach, one can reap success in this division.

Sheffield United supporters will have seen the previous campaign as a disappointment. Although the Blades finished in 8th position, they never really looked like they would reach the top-six. Consistency has always been important for success in this division and the fact is that United were not good enough. They will need to improve next season.

The Blades' squad is impressive, but surprisingly only consists of 20 players. They arguably boast some of the best attacking talent in the division: Ched Evans, Daniel Bogdanovic, Richard Cresswell and Jamie Ward are all very effective strikers at Championship level. In midfield, the likes of Lee Williamson, Leon Britton, Mark Yeates and Stephen Quinn are all players capable of dominating the middle of the park. In defence, the aggressive Chris Morgan will serve as club captain once again. (I wonder how many footballers he will put in hospital this campaign!)

QPR supporters should be familiar with one of Blackwell's summer signings. That's right, it's Simon Walton, the man who spent most of his Rangers career on the sidelines after suffering a broken leg in a pre-season friendly under John Gregory. On his day, Walton, who usually plays in central midfield, can produce impressive performances. However, he often struggles with discipline, having picked up far too many red cards in the past.

The Blades' Chairman, Kevin McCabe, is currently looking for new investment, a search that has reportedly taken him to Asia. If a deal can be agreed, then perhaps United will make a few more high-profile additions before the end of the transfer window. I expect that the Sheffield club will contend for the play-offs and could well achieve a top six finish given the firepower that they possess.

Godfather's Prediction: 5th position

Swansea City

Manager: Brendan Rodgers

Season 2009-10 finish: 7th position.

Ins: Scott Donnelly (unattached).

Outs: Federico Bessone (Leeds United - free).

Paulo Sousa did a very good job at Swansea City last season, missing out on the play-off places on the last day of the campaign. His departure to Leicester City will have served a real blow to supporters' hopes for the next campaign. Brendan Rodgers, a manager whose previous job at Reading was an utter disaster, will be hoping to avoid a slide down the league table.

City have only made one signing so far this summer: former QPR trainee, Scott Donnelly. He was once regarded as a hot prospect for the future by the Rs, but weight problems and allegations of laziness led to his departure from Loftus Road in 2007. A successful spell at Aldershot followed, during which he made 71 appearances, notching 15 goals. The 22 year-old could be involved for the Swans this campaign.

Last season, the Swans had one of the best defences in the division, but this was mainly down to Paulo Sousa's tactics. It will be interesting to see whether Rodgers places as much emphasis on defence as the Portuguese did. Swansea's problem in the 2009-10 campaign, however, was that they simply could not score many goals. And, looking at their squad, it's not difficult to see why. It is clear that, like Queens Park Rangers, they lack firepower, and I am surprised that the manager has not looked to strengthen this department. Shefki Kuqi, Stephen Dobbie, Gorka Pintado and Craig Beattie cannot be described as prolific strikers.

City will be hoping to hang on to one of their star players, Angel Rangel. He has become a popular figure with the fans, establishing himself as a first team regular in the fullback position. His impressive performances have now attracted interest from Premiership newcomers, Blackpool.

So, how will Swansea fare? Not particularly well, in my opinion. In an even tougher division, I'm not confident that they will be able to improve upon or even replicate their 8th-placed finish last season. Expect to see them struggle, probably sinking into lower mid-table.

Godfather's Prediction: 16th position

Watford

Manager: Malky Mackay

Season 2009-10 finish: 16th position

Ins: Tom Aldred (unattached), Rene Gilmartin (unattached)

Outs: Richard Lee (free, Brentford), Will Hoskins (free, Bristol Rovers), Jure Travner (loan, St. Mirren), Rob Kiernan (loan, Yeovil Town)

QPR's 1-0 victory over Watford towards the end of last season was one of the worst matches I have ever had the displeasure of witnessing. The Hornets had one tactic: hoof the ball up the pitch in the hope of finding a yellow shirt. And it didn't work. Offside. Offside. Offside. I have to say Mackay's men looked very, very poor on the night!

In fairness, Mackay did very well to avoid relegation last season, given the extent of the club's financial problems. The Hertfordshire club came very close to entering administration and suffering a ten-point deduction, but they were saved from the brink. Worryingly, though, most of the Hornets' star players had been signed on loan deals; for example Tom Cleverley and Heidar Helguson (well, he seems to be good for them!) Watford will have to cope without them next season.

It has to be said: Watford's current squad looks very weak indeed. They are clearly lacking in players who are proven in the Championship. Club captain, John Eustace, will no doubt be one of the club's key men next season. The tough-tackling midfielder will need to be on top form in the middle of the park. Equally, at the back, the Hornets will be relying upon Martin Taylor, the man famous for snapping Eduardo's ankle a couple of years ago. Up front, Mackay will be hoping to hang on to Danny Graham, a talented young forward who scored 16 goals last season.

Watford's two signings, Tom Aldred and Rene Gilmartin, seem quite risky ones given that both are youngsters who have very limited experience of the Football League, let alone the Championship. They could find it difficult to adjust to life in the second tier. Perhaps they should be regarded as ones to watch for the future.

In conclusion, I think it is safe to say that Watford will struggle next season. Having researched every team, it seems to me that the Mackay has one of the weakest squads at his disposal. I predict relegation to League One for the Hornets.

Godfather's Prediction: 23rd position

Npower Championship Preview: Summary

Automatic promotion: Middlesbrough, Burnley.

Play-offs: Nottingham Forest, Hull City, Sheffield United, Norwich City.

Relegation: Crystal Palace, Watford, Scunthorpe United.

Surprise package: Norwich City.